• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes best optic for a 6.8 for close up to good ways out

grunt soldier

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 20, 2009
indianapolis
just like title says what would you guys recommend for close up and far out work. trying to be able to take the 6.8 out to atleast 700 yards and use it in as a close quarters weapon. i love the acog for my 5.56 ...but just curious to others experiences. i got about 1500 to spend. i have been looking at the nightforce 2-10 w/ a zero stop and mil adjustments. any other suggestions ?? any help would be appreciated

Re: best optic for a 6.8 for close up to good ways out

I use a Leupold 3 x 10 (MD) PR on my LWRC 6.8mm that I use for hunting. The scope you mentioned is a fine optic as well as the IOR stated above.

I would be curious to know if you can get out to 700 yds with a 6.8mm. I have been told that 500 is about the best you can get with the 6.8mm and still have enough power to kill something. Let me know via PM if you get there as I would be very interested in your working out to that distance.

Paul, what about getting to 700 with the 6.8mm? You are the guy that would know. Could you expect to kill a deer or elk at that distance. And if so, what kind of load we be used to get to that there?

I also sent this to Paul via PM to ask his opinion. He is one of few people that I know is very knowledgable with the 6.8mm and has experience to answer the question.

With a Nosler 110 GR Accubond loaded to the max, which is 2800 FPS from a 16" barrel, you will reach 1K ft-lbs energy at approximately 350 yards. It will still expand out to 400 yards (881 ft-lbs energy). So I wouldn't push it past that for humane kills.

To 700 and holding hunting shots to 400 with the above mentioned 110 Accubond...you can't go wrong with the NXS Compants, the IOR 2.5-10's or the IOR 2-12. However...for the money since Boyette likes his..I even conside the HorusVision Hawk 3-12x50.

Re: best optic for a 6.8 for close up to good ways

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Guns4570</div><div class="ubbcode-body">To 700 and holding hunting shots to 400 with the above mentioned 110 Accubond...you can't go wrong with the NXS Compants, the IOR 2.5-10's or the IOR 2-12. However...for the money since Boyette likes his..I even conside the HorusVision Hawk 3-12x50. </div></div>

For the love of God don't get a Horus Hawk! I wasted my money on one of those hunks of junk and had to get a refund.

They advertise that it is good for taking shots out to 800 yards but the parallax is so screwy on it that 500 yard shots aren't feasible. I questioned them about it and they confessed that what they claim it will do on their website is false. That is why they refunded my money.

I got tired of looking for usable scopes for a low price so I just bit the bullet and ordered a USO SN3 1.8 - 10.