• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Best optic for night vision!

rustydog32

Private
Minuteman
Feb 16, 2011
I am considering topping my AR off with a Trijicon ACOG or some sort of other compatible aiming device such as a laser for night time hunting. What are your opinions? I have a leupy VX-6 on top right now and kind of would hate to have to remove it for daytime hunting. I am also new to the night vision world

Re: Best optic for night vision!

PVS-14 and a good IR laser like the DBAL-D2 if you plan on walking around and taking shots.

PVS-24 or CNVD-LR if you plan on shacking up in one spot.

I know you said you don't want to remove your day optic, but a D-740 is a great night scope and has seen lots of use killing hogs. I think it's a good alternative to the clip-on setup like the PVS-24.

I don't think you can/want to use an ACOG with NV. How far are you planning on shooting?

RustyDog,

What are you planning on hunting/distance? Hog?
Do you have a budget in mind?

It might help determine your needs as far as NV goes. It can start narrowing your category down to either which gen you should look into or whether you could be suited with something like ND3/5...

Good luck man,

Being in college I have a budget but I do have a close friend that is considering meeting me halfway with it. I am planning on hunting hogs and coyotes with my 6.8 AR. Shots should never exceed 300 yards and most likely no more than 175-200. I already have a couple kill light 250's and I am looking to step it up a notch.
Thanks for the input.

The PVS-24 was made for the ACOG, a friend has the LR version and it works great in front of an ACOG as well as a 10X scope.

I second the PVS-14 and laser,I use it and you have much more situational awareness, all you do is point and shoot.