• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Best optic under 2,000

rickey

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 17, 2011
La Porte, TX
Im getting closer to upgrading my scope and have always had my sight set on getting a Night Force 5.5x25 or 8x32. I like allot of magnification. Right now my scope is cheap and I havent had a chance to really see what my rifle can do... My question is. If you had 2,000 to spend what scope would you choose and why? Would you hold out and spend more?

Re: Best optic under 2,000

I would get the IOR 6-24x56 with the modified MP-8 Dot reticle. I have a less expensive fixed 16 power IOR and I really like the glass. I won't be able to save up enough for a S&B or Premier, but I'm hoping to be able to save up enough for that IOR. I don't have any interest in the Nightforce because I would rather have better optics, but I'm also not doing anything that would require the toughness of the Nightforce. What do you plan on doing with this scope? That would make a big difference in my choice.

I have a NF NSX 5.5-22x56mm for my .338. I will be getting another NF for my 300 wm and yet another for my future rifle, whatever that may be!

Under $2,000 = NF NSX 5.5-22x56mm for sure...the 8-32 is nice too just short on elevation adjustment/clicks. Under $1,250 - 1,500 Sightron all day long, phenomenal glass for the price with equal elevation adjustment as Night Force...

The scope doesnt have to be indestructible but it is a big plus. I would be using it just for range shooting and hunting. Thanks for the help

What do yall think about Zeiss conquest 6.5-20x50? low on the price range I previously stated but Ive liked it as well. I havent held or looked through the others that were mentioned. Just wondering as a comparison if you thought the others were nicer or better....?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chris m</div><div class="ubbcode-body">take a look at the vortex razor hd, for 2 grand , with ffp, its one of the best values out there</div></div>

It's under $2K and a great value for all the features you get. Would be my choice under your price cap.

why do you say the vortex is better? more elevation travel? or just a better looking glass? and what features?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rickey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">why do you say the vortex is better? more elevation travel? or just a better looking glass? and what features?</div></div>
Both. Crisp glass with 125MOA of travel. Illuminated reticle and zero stop...and it is built like a tank. It is rather large and heavy, though.

For $2,000 I'd go with the Bushnell HDMR or SWFA 5-20 HD and spend the remaining $500 on ammo.

SWFA SS5-20 HD, it made hits at 1250 in a drizzling rain easy with my 260. I have 3 IOR and 2 sightron SIII but the SS is the best scope.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">FFP = Bushnell or Vortex

SFP = Nightforce </div></div>

+1 on that. I own all 3, and if 2nd focal is OK. The 5-22NF would be my choice.

FFP..Razor and Bushnell HDMR

Another IOR Valdada fan here, their scopes give the best quality for the most affordable price hands down!

I vote the 3-18x50

Ok looks like I need to see who sells the vortex near me and go fondle it for myself. ; )

Rickey, I recently asked myself the same question 2 months ago for my first long range build... I went to SWFA and looked at most of these scopes listed above (not the NF as they were out of stock)... All were nice, but I ended up buying the IOR 3-18x42 with the MP8-X1. The Vortex HD was nice, but once I looked through the IOR glass, decision was easy.

Plus, I really like the MP8-X1 reticle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">FFP = Bushnell or Vortex

Ditto

John

I had a Razor and was not impressed. Maybe its just me, idk. Replaced it with a NF 5.5-22x50mm. The Razor has 125MOA with its huge 35mm tube. The NF has 100MOA in a 30mm tube(plenty). The fiber optic thingies on the Razor are worthless and ugly. The ret on 5x is barely visible and the illumination is either on bright-as-fuck or can't-see-the-damn-thing even though it has 11 settings. Not a fan of the rubber power ring either. NF has a better ZS and turrets. I also like the fact the illumination knob is not right in your face on the NF even though you have to remove the cap to set the brightness. I only need 1 level anyhow. The Vortex does have FFP going for it but SFP works better for me anyway. And I think the MOAR reticle is outstanding. The Vortex is a decent scope but it is not worth $2k. I would take the Bushnell HDMR w/G2 over it any day. Once NF puts out a F1 in higher mag there will be no contest. It's hard to beat the Vortex warranty but if the scope suck it really doesn't matter. Both companies have very good CS. Best optic under $2k? NF easy.

For under $2k I'd go with IOR or a Vortex Razor. The IOR is a bit on the heavy side though but great glass.

i was in exactly the same boat couple months ago. i was very close to pulling the trigger on a vortex razor when i found a very nice used Premier heritage 5x25 in the for sale section on here. i'm very glad i spent a little more and got ALOT more scope. YMMV

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rickey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The scope doesnt have to be indestructible but it is a big plus. I would be using it just for range shooting and hunting. Thanks for the help </div></div>Many of the people that really like the Razor require a scope that can take some serious punishment because of the conditions that they use them under. If you're using them under less extreme circumstances I think you would find having better glass more enjoyable than knowing you could beat someone to death with your scope. An IOR is not delicate, it just isn't as overbuilt as the Razor. If you buy a Schmidt & Bender or a Premier you can have the best glass in an indestructible scope, but for what you're doing an IOR should last forever.

I would go with the IOR. I have a Leupold MK4, Vortex razor, Vortex pst, and an IOR 12-52 terminator. The IOR has by far the best glass. I can focus this scope at 20ft at 52 power. Yes you read that right. The reticle is very clear at long range and does not obscure the target. If you can get one scope I would get the IOR, You wont be disapointed..

I have seen several us optics 3.2-17 scopes go on here for under $2000. Top notch customer support and a warranty that you can count on if ever needed.

I liked the guy who said SS 5-20X or Bushnell HDMR, and then spend the saved $500 on ammo/training/upgrading your reloading setup/dropping in a better trigger/upgrading to a better stock...etc.

It does come down to what you plan to use the scope for, and for my uses, I'm very happy with the quality and value provided by SS. I like to stretch my limited dollars and get the most I can accomplished.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cproflow</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I liked the guy who said SS 5-20X or Bushnell HDMR, and then spend the saved $500 on ammo/training/upgrading your reloading setup/dropping in a better trigger/upgrading to a better stock...etc.

It does come down to what you plan to use the scope for, and for my uses, I'm very happy with the quality and value provided by SS. I like to stretch my limited dollars and get the most I can accomplished. </div></div>

HOLY CRAP, BATMAN!!!
Are you telling me that you can get a better stock, ammo, upgrade reload gear, a better trigger, and training for $500 !!! where in the hell are you shopping? I wanna go THERE!

last I checked prices were like this:

ammo can: $200 to $500 relative to brand and quantity
trigger: $160 to $250 relative to brand and style
stock: $120 to $1500
reload gear: $150 to $500
training: at least a couple thousand if its worth a damn!

I must have forgotten my elementary math
if that adds up to $500 for you, then you must be on the Obama economics team!

I'm guessing he meant spend the saved money on however many of those listed items that fit in the remaining budget.

Or how bout this, get in on the SWFA combo deal using the 10000 code and pick up the SS 5-20 non-illuminated FFP, and the new 1-6 FFP for $1587.00? You'd be be getting a hell of a scope on sale. You then would have the 1-6 for another rifle, or you could sell it to lower the price of the 5-20 even lower. Just another option.

Yea I read it as use the 500 left over for more improvements. Not that all of those improvements would cost you 500 bucks.... But thanks for the cost breakdown! ; )

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Vu</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">FFP = Bushnell or Vortex

+1 on that. I own all 3, and if 2nd focal is OK. The 5-22NF would be my choice.

FFP..Razor and Bushnell HDMR </div></div>

I agree.

We have most of them in stock also.

Mike @ CST

The G2 reticle on the HDMR is AWESOME.

Since you're not shooting comps, go with the Vortex or Nightforce. In that order.

Also, check out the SS 5-20. This was my second choice behind the HDMR. Everyone I ask says they are great, and built tough.

Sorry if I wasn't clear, I thought it was obvious that the extra $500-ish could be used for a variety of other modifications or improvements.

Seems like most folks read it the way it was intended

NF first
Bushy option two. The Bushy will leave a little more $$ in your pocket. But I'd go NF. GET THE BEST YOU CAN AFFORD, YOU NEVER REGRET BUYING SOMETHING GREAT.

For overall quality, features and price........ Vortex razor hd.

Dont forget the warranty, if you need it.

One thing that stuck out to me regarding the razor was the ability to zero the elevation in between 1/10 of a mil. Havent seen that in any other scope