• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Best option: ~$1000 competition/ target pistol

408w

Private
Minuteman
Sep 8, 2017
Western ny
No limits besides cost ~$1000 or less and 9mm. Not an everyday carry. Medium to large frame to take classes with and shoot at the range.

Maybe not quite meeting the budget...but definitely the CZ Shadow 2. It will ruin you for other pistols.

I stuggled between the Shadow and P210. In the end I went with a P210 just because it's an itch I had to scratch. If I was buying it to compete at anything (except bullseye) the Shadow or target2 would have come home with me. You cannot overcome the 8 round mag in a 9mm bracket.

Reactions: Mr Punisher
Correct, 17 rounds vs just 8. plus CZ comes with 3 mags and Sig only two 8 rounders..
It was a hard decision that’s why I got both...:cry:. keeping and not sellin either.

Damnit man... now I'm looking at a Shadow2.

Edit: if I only had $1k to spend, I'd probably be looking at a long slide Glock. (G34) I actually like the gen4 trigger and shoot it pretty well. Or maybe a used Shadow 1, etc.. That should leave some money left over for a holster, maybe a mag or two and some ammo.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr Punisher
I don’t know, in my opinion Glock is a completely different animal, yes it’s cheaper but it’s not competition/target ready out the box, but it has a lot of upgrates available.
if you compare prices , yes at $1500 invested into Glock 34 it could be as accurate as shadow2 or P210, but it still doesn’t sit in your hand as good as. But the Glock is definitely more reliable, I would rather have a Glock if zombie apocalypse.
By the way another one I’m looking at and thinking to buy, hear a lot of good things about Walther Q5 match steel frame... and i’m promising to my wife that is going to complete my gun collection :ROFLMAO:

3C4A2226-4BCC-4F5D-97F7-3E945F02DC2D.jpeg

Damnit man... now I'm looking at a Shadow2.

Edit: if I only had $1k to spend, I'd probably be looking at a long slide Glock. (G34) I actually like the gen4 trigger and shoot it pretty well. Or maybe a used Shadow 1, etc.. That should leave some money left over for a holster, maybe a mag or two and some ammo.
I only looked at this thread to see how long before someone tried to equate Glock with "Target Pistol".
6 posts in.
NO WAY DUDE!!!!!
:LOL:

I only looked at this thread to see how long before someone tried to equate Glock with "Target Pistol".
6 posts in.
NO WAY DUDE!!!!!
:LOL:

Thread says "competition/target" Glocks will run with just about anything if you're shooting steel workers. IPSC, IDPA. 2 gun. 3 gun. etc.

For $1k, unless you find a generic 1911 that's put together well or a used target pistol, you're pretty limited. Really comes down to, what discipline the OP means when he says competition.

Edit: to clarify, I am not saying that even the long slide target model with 3# trigger is a true target pistol.

Last edited:
Reactions: shoot4fun
Thread says "competition/target" Glocks will run with just about anything if you're shooting steel workers. IPSC, IDPA. 2 gun. 3 gun. etc.

For $1k, unless you find a generic 1911 that's put together well or a used target pistol, you're pretty limited. Really comes down to, what discipline the OP means when he says competition.

Edit: to clarify, I am not saying that even the long slide target model with 3# trigger is a true target pistol.
Oh man, just pokin'the bear. Never would I mean to hurt another fat boy from The South's feelings.
?

Reactions: FatBoy
Oh man, just pokin'the bear. Never would I mean to hurt another fat boy from The South's feelings.
?

You can say anything except "late for dinner" and we're good.

Has the OP been back on this thread yet? Would like a clarification on what his real intent is? A nice 22lr target model may work.

You can say anything except "late for dinner" and we're good.

Has the OP been back on this thread yet? Would like a clarification on what his real intent is? A nice 22lr target model may work.
Don't think he has. Maybe just a troll thread?
Well Glock doesn't make a 22LR YET so that would require a conversion kit.
Maybe you could suggest a Ruger? ?
Inside joke, as I used to work in the industry (not Ruger or Glock).

I have shot a few inexpensive 22lr pistols. The Buckmark was OK at it's price point. He's probably not getting a S&W 41 under $1k, for $100 more Hammerli is an option.

Glock is good but polymer frame ........ you will never get the same accuracy as you can get with steel / aluminum frame.. but I’m still big HK fan so USP Elite or Match are the best in polymer frame category.
But price these days is way more than $1000 dollars. So I never mentioned them

P210A in the PX earlier this week.

If you are wanting to make clover leafs in paper get the one on the left in this pic....

sw.jpg

If you are only interested in keeping them in the same ring the one on the right will do.

The only thing standing in your way is that they will be greater than $1K and hard to find.

P210A in the PX earlier this week.

If you are wanting to make clover leafs in paper get the one on the left in this pic....

View attachment 7068797

If you are only interested in keeping them in the same ring the one on the right will do.

The only thing standing in your way is that they will be greater than $1K and hard to find.
M52 Wadcutter on left and 952 in 9mm on right. Seems I remember the 952 without a safety at one time?
Both excellent pure bred paper punchers.
Stack a M41 with those and you have the second perfect threesome.

M52 Wadcutter on left and 952 in 9mm on right. Seems I remember the 952 without a safety at one time?
Both excellent pure bred paper punchers.
Stack a M41 with those and you have the second perfect threesome.

Left is a 52-2 I inquired about thinking it to be some long slide version of the M39.

When I was told its forged with Unicorn powder, the sweat from Odins lance and fed wad cutters I didnt believe the end part about feeding wad cutters so I bought it to prove that fact to myself. Its the most accurate pistol I own, rivaling my rifles.

6 or so years later I walk into the store and their is a guy at the counter holding what I assume to be a clean 52. Same seller tells me this one, a 952-1 with grip safety, is made with fairy eyelashes and chips from the sword of destiny, its 9 mm rounds will pierce paper to any shooters satisfaction. Not believing 9mm capable of actually piercing paper I bought it and found it will in fact break through heavy card stock and put rounds right close to each other.

Last year I finally got what I was looking for - an M39-2.

So Im going to stop asking questions when I enter that shop.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: shoot4fun
Finger fucked a Shadow2 and a Shadow Target2 today. They are heavy, 10 oz more than the P210 and it all feels like it at the muzzle. Though I like the look of the Shadow2 better the safety is a no-go for me. I'd have to either buy the target2 or replace that flat safety to the extended model.

I think I need one of these in my life....

I have shot a few inexpensive 22lr pistols. The Buckmark was OK at it's price point. He's probably not getting a S&W 41 under $1k, for $100 more Hammerli is an option.
Sad but true; my S&W Victory shoots about as good as my M41 and, especially for games like Steel Challenge or NSSF Rimfire, it makes target transition easier.

For right around the $1K price point, I’d recommend the CZ75 SP-01 Shadow, Sig P320 X5, or for a little more $, a CZ Shadow 2 over the others...?? I’ve owned all 3, and still do own both the S1 and S2. Great pistols for the $!

If @cupidstunt were still here he would say.....

"Research the best choice for you, your dream gun, cost being no issue. Than look up its Turkish made clone at 1/3 the price and just call it the same exact firearm"

• Haha
Reactions: cornhusker86
Smith & Wesson k38 is nice for a revolver , Smith & Wesson 41 pistol if 22 lr is you thing always loved my fathers Smith & Wesson 52 its a fine bullseye piece not that I am any good at it , it's still a great gun . the only thing I'm not sold on with it is the 38 wadcutters , as I don't reload yet . all either less than 1k or around that price . almost forgot ruger made a really nice mark IV semi auto pistol that's pretty nice and well under 1k.

Last edited:
Reactions: pmclaine
It blows your budget, but something like this would be my pick: https://classifieds.practiscore.com/firearms/pistols/price-drop-ck-arms-9mm-with-5mbx-mags_i2053

I started shooting ipsic/idpa/uspsa with a plain jane 1911. Single stack is a good division... I saved a few pennies and bought a 2011 (kind of like the link) for less than $1000. Used, of course. I fell in love with it... still have it. Trigger right at 18-19 ounces. Nothing like it.

The Tanfoglios and Shadows can come close with some work, but I'd shot so many 1911s before that the grip angle and safety/slide release all just felt right for me.

Later in life, I'd saved a bunch more pennies, and bought and compete with this:

All Steel, made right here in Texas by some of the finest gunsmiths in the world.

Stock II They started out as copies of CZ75s, but by the mid 90s they were their own design, so that almost nothing interchanges between Tanfo and Cz, but they're all steel and work very well out of the box.

Reactions: Tx_Flyboy
Finger fucked a Shadow2 and a Shadow Target2 today. They are heavy, 10 oz more than the P210 and it all feels like it at the muzzle. Though I like the look of the Shadow2 better the safety is a no-go for me. I'd have to either buy the target2 or replace that flat safety to the extended model.

I think I need one of these in my life....

The Shadow 2 also comes with an extended/wider safety for swapping out the flat one. I immediately changed mine out once I got it. Much better!!!

Look at the Canik TP9SFx. While it doesn't wow folks with the all steel build ( its Polymer) you can buy one with a Vortex Venom Red Dot for around 600-700. If you don't like the Venom you can buy the Pistol for 390ish and then buy your own to mount on it. After 100-200 rounds of NATO ammo it runs like a raped ape, trigger is a rival to the Walther and even if you decide to go nuts and re-tune it with a plethora of spring options you would still be under 1000 by far. Hell you can buy it with the red dot, trick out the trigger to the Fat Daddy and spring job it and be under 1000. But stock...un touched....it will surprise you. Un-modified after 500 rounds the trigger on mine has dropped from 4.75 lbs to right at 4.0. Reset is unbelievable.
Also comes with 2x 20 rd mags, a charging handle if you go optics and even without the optics it comes with sweet Warren sights.

Nothing wrong with the Caniks. I bought the original, and the tp9sfx... if you go this route, send it to Cajun Gun Works. They're known for their Cz/Tanfo work, and the canik is a distant relative there of. The stock trigger on the 2 caniks I had was lacking, to say the least. CGW made my guns give the others a run for their money.

Trigger job, fire control group polish/smooth, floatng trigger pin, triger reset and trigger stop, iirc. They had my pistols done and sent back to me within 10 days.

He took my trigger pull to right at 2.5lbs...

Look at the Canik TP9SFx. While it doesn't wow folks with the all steel build ( its Polymer) you can buy one with a Vortex Venom Red Dot for around 600-700. If you don't like the Venom you can buy the Pistol for 390ish and then buy your own to mount on it. After 100-200 rounds of NATO ammo it runs like a raped ape, trigger is a rival to the Walther and even if you decide to go nuts and re-tune it with a plethora of spring options you would still be under 1000 by far. Hell you can buy it with the red dot, trick out the trigger to the Fat Daddy and spring job it and be under 1000. But stock...un touched....it will surprise you. Un-modified after 500 rounds the trigger on mine has dropped from 4.75 lbs to right at 4.0. Reset is unbelievable.
Also comes with 2x 20 rd mags, a charging handle if you go optics and even without the optics it comes with sweet Warren sights.

Might check out the Springfield XDM 5.2 competition . I picked one up new for $579 . About $180 for Powder River Precision trigger and some skateboard tape . Came with fiber optic target sights . The more I shoot other guns the more I love it .
If you reload for comp. 147gn bullets make power factor and yet shoot softer than 115's . I run mine for Steel Challenge and have shot action pistol with it . The CZ's I've shot while having a crisp break and decent reset , have a very long initial take up . I've not shot the Glock 34 . Ive shot the 17L and did not care for the trigger or feel of the gun . It's very subjective . Track down buddies with the models you're interested in . Strike up conversation at the range with someone who's shooting what's on your list and I can almost guarantee that they'll offer to let you shoot it .
Good luck .

Just realized the OP never said what type of competition much less what division he has in mind. Most of the answers so far have been geared towards USPSA production division, which is fine and makes sense given the price and caliber restraints, but if the OP isn't leaning that way or doesn't even know what the different divisions are we're just guessing here.

Lots of fun stuff in here.

I have seen some used home brew 1911 "match" pistols for sale cheap. A pedigree costs a lot more.

DIY is cool but $1,000 won't buy much in a 1911.

Glocks have lots of drop in mods that can probably make them somewhat competitive in whichever competition you choose and possibly on budget.

The CZs and Canic are something I would like to test drive.

I am skeptical of the claim that plastic frames can't shoot with steel or aluminum counterparts. The 2011 has a plastic grip frame and has been pretty dominant even against Paraordinance and other metal frame double-stack 1911 clones. I think ergonomics, slide lock-up and sight alignment have much more to do with it.

if you find something that doesn't need any work at $1,000, let us know.

I am skeptical of the claim that plastic frames can't shoot with steel or aluminum counterparts. The 2011 has a plastic grip frame and has been pretty dominant even against Paraordinance and other metal frame double-stack 1911 clones. I think ergonomics, slide lock-up and sight alignment have much more to do with it.
If you're keeping up on 2011 trends you'll see the new hotness is steel frames. And it's not like they were light even with the plastic frame.
While a polymer gun may be capable of the same mechanical abilities of a heavy steel gun, once you try one you'll realize how much easier it is to be sloppy and still shoot well. It's exactly the same as having a 9lb 30-06 and a 22lb 6CM that both shoot 1/4 MOA. Sure, the rifles can shoot the same, but which one is going to let you get away with some human error and still place well in a match?

Reactions: rmantoo
Thanks for all the input guys. I have no plans to shoot any competitions. Purpose for the gun is for shooting at the range and taking some classes to learn. Leaning towards calling Cajun gunwork. Not real familiar with this style of pistols everything I own is small frame carry guns. Wanted to see what is out there and what I could get in the price range

Thanks for all the input guys. I have no plans to shoot any competitions. Purpose for the gun is for shooting at the range and taking some classes to learn. Leaning towards calling Cajun gunwork. Not real familiar with this style of pistols everything I own is small frame carry guns. Wanted to see what is out there and what I could get in the price range

I'm a newbie at long range shooting... but one of the first things I decided was to follow the forums here in the hide for a while, then buy a used high $$$ optic off of a long time member here. Lifetime warranties on Bushnell, NightForce, Vortex...why not used, right?

I would recommend you go to brianenos.com, and spend some time watching the classifieds there. There isn't a single gun mentioned in the advice in this thread that hasn't come up for sale over there in the last 2-3 weeks. Most of those have already been worked on, massaged, and improved by some of the best smiths in the US. Most are offered at a VERY healthy discount compared to buying a new blaster (favorite term amongst the uspsa crowd) and paying to have it modified, and they very often include 5-8 mags, holsters, mag holsters, etc... I have personally bought 7 guns off of members there in the last 10 years and have had zero problems.

Among others, there have been at least 3 of the Czs, several Tanfos, and a bunch of 2011s, etc.

Good luck, and please post again when you buy something.

I don't compete, but I've been collecting firearms since I could pee standing up. For the money the CZ shadow line of pistols is hard to beat. If you're just starting out, a Shadow will def be a pistol you can grow into.

That being said, it doesn't seem like you're shooting in any sports. I'd suggest saving $500-600 and getting a Glock 19 or 34. There is a whole crap ton you can do to tune them. They've got great re sale value (CZs do too) and if you don't fall in love with being a pistolero, you're not out $1000.

Like I said, I don't shoot in any sports, but a bunch of my friends and people at my Shooting club do and lots of them run Glocks.

Reactions: W54/XM-388
I'm a newbie at long range shooting... but one of the first things I decided was to follow the forums here in the hide for a while, then buy a used high $$$ optic off of a long time member here. Lifetime warranties on Bushnell, NightForce, Vortex...why not used, right?

I would recommend you go to brianenos.com, and spend some time watching the classifieds there. There isn't a single gun mentioned in the advice in this thread that hasn't come up for sale over there in the last 2-3 weeks. Most of those have already been worked on, massaged, and improved by some of the best smiths in the US. Most are offered at a VERY healthy discount compared to buying a new blaster (favorite term amongst the uspsa crowd) and paying to have it modified, and they very often include 5-8 mags, holsters, mag holsters, etc... I have personally bought 7 guns off of members there in the last 10 years and have had zero problems.

Among others, there have been at least 3 of the Czs, several Tanfos, and a bunch of 2011s, etc.

Good luck, and please post again when you buy something.

I found the forum. Do you need to be a member to see the classified section?

I found the forum. Do you need to be a member to see the classified section?
I think so? But not certain.

I know you have to have 50 posts to START a classified ad, but you can respond to ads and PM without that.

Classifieds are under "Miscellaneous"

I started with bowling pin shoots in the early 80s. Then IDPA/IPSC, and USPSA. Shooting under a timer was hands down THE best thing I ever did to get better w/a pistol.

NOTHING like pressure to show one's weaknesses. I grew up shooting, everything, and bowling pin shoots and IDPA quickly dispelled my immature notions of muscle memories being permanent, and being a 'natural' shooter.

Everything to do with physical activity requires practice, practice, practice.

I started with bowling pin shoots in the early 80s. Then IDPA/IPSC, and USPSA. Shooting under a timer was hands down THE best thing I ever did to get better w/a pistol.

NOTHING like pressure to show one's weaknesses. I grew up shooting, everything, and bowling pin shoots and IDPA quickly dispelled my immature notions of muscle memories being permanent, and being a 'natural' shooter.

Everything to do with physical activity requires practice, practice, practice.

Thanks good info

Get some CZ guns in your hands and see which one fits and feels best.

I'm not a competitive person but enjoy participating in low level IPSC competitions (USPSA is the USA branch of IPSC, but with some minor differences :p ). I don't expect to win anything. It is social events where you also learn from talking to people and seeing what they do. IDPA is also a possibility if you want it less sport and more wannabe tactical ( :p:p ). A Steel Challenge type competition looks like it could be great fun.

Ever since I picked up a Gen 3 Glock 34, I've been really hard pressed to find a stock gun that shoots better after being broken in. For the price point and performance out of the box, it's really hard to beat.

Reactions: perttime