• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best option for more MOA...

ATC4USMC

Private
Minuteman
Sep 22, 2010
VA
I am looking to add a little more MOA to my set up and am not sure if I should change the rail or rings. I currently have a 20 MOA rail and EGW rings which mount my NX8 4-32 onto a Remington 700 SA in 65. CM.

I have 19.5 mils of elevation in my scope, plus what's in the reticle, and I would like to be able to dial for shooting out to 1760 yds (need 25-27 mils depending on load).
Im considering either a 30 MOA rail or a set of the Burris XTR signature rings with adjustable inserts. Just looking for some feedback or recommendations on which way to go.

Thanks!

19.5 + 8.3 is 27.8.

30moa rail would be an additional ~3mrad of dialing, that absolutely will not get them there.
Does he need 26mils or 26mils on top his 20moa rail?

Because a 30moa rail will get him almost 28mils, PLUS his reticle.

Yea...the additional 3mils isn't going to get him there....he can add about 6 mils with a good set of rings....get a hot load...and then bang some steel.

Reactions: Mike Casselton
He’s got 19.5 in the scope. A 30MOA rail is 8.3 mils. That’s 27.8 of total elevation, plus his reticle.

Reactions: ATC4USMC and b2lee
He’s got 19.5 in the scope. A 30MOA rail is 8.3 mils. That’s 27.8 of total elevation, plus his reticle.

I guess it is all in how you read what he wrote....I read that he already had a 20MOA rail....and with that set up...he could dial up 19.5 mils...leaving him well short of what he needed.

Does he need 26mils or 26mils on top his 20moa rail?

He has 19.5mrad with a 20moa rail. The NX8 only has 26mrad of travel. This just isn’t a good setup for what he’s asking, but going from a 20moa to 30moa rail will give him ~22.4mrad dialing, which still isn’t enough to dial.

OP, if you really want to use this scope, use a Charlie Tarac, Era-Tac or similar adjustable scope mount, or (for less money and the worse optical properties at the travel limits of the scope) you can use the Burris Signature inserts; they’ll hold up to that recoil with no issues.

In that case, if his scope has a full 26mils of travel, a 45 moa rail will give him .5mils below his 100 yard zero, and the 25.5mils of elevation, plus his reticle.

Reactions: ATC4USMC
@Tokay444 what @gnochi is saying is...the NX8 only has 26 mils of travel....counting up and down. Now if we guestimate that it is shipped centered from the factory, we have 13mils up travel and 13mils down travel with a 100 yard zero on a 0MOA fixture. Now, when we add a 20MOA rail we are getting about 6 mils more up travel and about 6 mils less of down travel...from a 100 yard zero.

So, now we have 19.0 theoretical mils of up travel and 7 theoretical mils of down travel for a total of 26 mils. OP in real life has 19.5 of up and 6.5 of down. Now if you add 3 more mils of up travel by swapping out the rail........the OP has ~22.5 mils of up travel and only 3.5 mils of down travel. If he picks up a 20MOA set of rings or mount....he can get about 25.5 mils of up travel and only have 0.5mils of down travel....making a 100yd zero in certain conditions tough, impractical, or impossible to achieve.

So, the weak link here is the lack of dialable elevation in the scope. If he truly wants to start shooting some ELR....he needs a different scope.

I’m on the same page now.
Probably should have just looked up that scope from the get go.

Because you’re limited in travel on the scope a 30 moa and use your reticle for the rest is the cheapest option.
An adjustable mount or Charlie tarac is the more expensive option.

I use a 45moa rail and get 27+ mils on the dial as a reference and a Charlie tarac for the rest that I need.
My scope has 30+ mils internally.

Thanks for the comments..just getting back to the board to review. Just to be clear, I have a 20 MOA rail currently and with that, I have 19.5 mils left in the scope to dial (not including the reticle holdover).

@b2lee thanks for the explanation and breakdown, that helps.
@gnochi thanks for the recommendation I think I may try the rings. Mainly curious about the reliability of them.

Reactions: b2lee
OK after reading this again and digesting it better (without the kids in my lap..) I think the 30 MOA rail and reticle may be the better option as this will get me ~22.5 mils of elevation to play with, and then I can hold over the remaining ~4 or so in the reticle. Also this will not limit me as much shooting paper at 100 yds. This is probably for me an easier set up than trying to figure out which ring inserts to use to get ~10, ~15 or maybe ~20 MOA out of the rings with the same rail I currently have.

Yea...the additional 3mils isn't going to get him there....he can add about 6 mils with a good set of rings....get a hot load...and then bang some steel.
What rings are you talking about here?

What rings are you talking about here?
He was saying the additional 3mils from a 20 MOA rail to a 30 MOA rail won't get you there.
With 26mils of total travel, a 45 MOA will gibe you almost ALL of it in elevation above your 100 yard zero. You'll have about .5mils below, and 25.5mils above.
Some will tell you to store the scope with the turret at 13mils so the erector isn't topped out for long periods of time.

I second the Ivey mount. I have used it to shoot out to 3900 yard with my 375 ct. The adjustment is very repeatable and the rings good

Reactions: xdeano
ERA TAC adjustable base
Cold Shot MOAB adjustable base
Ivey Mount
NF Prism
Charlie Tarac

These can all get you to the mile without using the reticle.

I am currently looking at the Tarac for ELR applications. I need to have about 80 mils and my scope has 28.5 mils up from my 600 yard zero. But the Tarac is a pricey.

ERA TAC adjustable base
Cold Shot MOAB adjustable base
Ivey Mount
NF Prism
Charlie Tarac

These can all get you to the mile without using the reticle with it

I am currently looking at the Tarac for ELR applications. I need to have about 80 mils and my scope has 28.5 mils up from my 600 yard zero. But the Tarac is a pricey.
It is but you don’t have to change stock positions if you change settings and has a wide range of adjustments.