• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best option for mounting a sling to my AR?

flyfisher117

Professional Milk Jug Hunter
Minuteman
Sep 25, 2010
Idaho
I have a little S&W Mp15 MOE rifle. It has the MOE butt stock and the MOE handguard.

Im looking for the best way to mount a sling too it, without paying a fortune. I wanted to mount a two point sling but the more I look around online my cheapest and easiest bet would be to run a single point.

I was planning on running a web sling through the butt stock's web slots then attaching the other end to the handguard I am just afraid that the gun wont ride the way it should it will try and tip away from me.

If I had the tools (all of my tools are in another state and I dont know anyone locally that has what I need) I could easily remove the factory end plate and install one that would allow me to use a end plate that had a sling mount but I dont own a castle nut wrench and my punches to restake it are not here. Maybe a smith would do it for me cheapely but I doubt it.

I have seen IWC's little mount slots but they are $30 a piece and I need one for the handguard and the butt stock. Too much money IMHO.

Anyone have any recomendations for the best yet cheapest way to mount a sling?

if the $60 is too expensive for you, go old school with some 550 cord loops on the stock. I did it for years in the military. if you are right handed and put the buttstock sling attachment on the right side of the stock, you will have it lay flat better pulling the stock in with the sling.

maybe these pics will give you some inspiration
43d61a1f-09bb-e16b.jpg

Selina_by_zodtgr8.jpg

20130508-171956.jpg

Don't run a sling based on the cheapest way to do so. Find what works for you and run it that way. If you want a 2 point sling Gear Sector and a few other companies make QD adapters you could mount to a MOE base attached to the hand guard.

I agree with CASDB, I've been down the cheapest path and I spent more to get where I needed to be. I run Troy 2 point slings on my AR's with QD sling mounts on the ends of each and the rifle sits just fine, doesn't tilt away from me. Here's one of mine and I run the same mounts for all my AR's. I tried the end plate with the wings for running your sling through. Problem is, I run VLTOR charging handles and I'm use to charging the rifle with just my index finger and I kept hitting the sling mount. That really was a pain the first time I tried it and never got used to it. You may not want to spend but I would at least get the buffer tube clamp style if you aren't going to get the armorers tool and I would get Magpul's sling mount for the handguards. You can always try mounting the front of the sling on the right side(forward assist side) if need be.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 95
I dont want to be cheap I just personally can not justify $60 (plus what ever shipping) for two QD sockets that will work with my furniture. Then spending another $20ish for QD swivels, then ontop of that spending another $30-$40ish for the sling I want. $120+ for a sling is just silly IMHO.

Ive got a few thousand feet of paracord at home Ill have to run and see what I can do. Maybe I can rig something to get me by. I have been running just a single strand of paracord tied off on the handguard and the butt stock. Its not at all comfortable and its only good for allowing me to hang the rifle and use my hands for other things but its just not working.

I have never really used a single point sling. I know its all a matter of preference but would you guys pick a single point or double point sling for a gun that is used for a little bit of everything? Hunting, plinking, little local "fun" carbine shoots etc.

Two point is my preference now. I gave the single point a shot and couldn't make it work for me.

Ok Well Im off to play around with some paracord and see what I can figure out.

One last question before I am off. Say I went with Magpuls ASAP end plate and their MS3 sling. If I did not like the sling in single point could it be effectively attached as a double point where one point is the end plate and the other point is the handguard? Ive seen butt stock to handguard and I think butt stock to end plate but never end plate to handguard.

Thanks all!

The Magpul sling is my favorite because I prefer 1-point, but the times I need 2-point it is just practical. The ASAP is solid and the sling is great, you wont be disappointed if you take the time to fiddle with them and fit the sling to you.

Don't run a sling based on the cheapest way to do so. Find what works for you and run it that way. If you want a 2 point sling Gear Sector and a few other companies make QD adapters you could mount to a MOE base attached to the hand guard.

AGREED why do people always cheap out on something that might save their life one day??? Just get a Magpul ASAP and a MS2 sling and be done or get a new stock with a QD on it. Hell if you want to be cheap get a wire coat hanger and stretch it out and use some pliers to make the loops around the gun and duct tape loooootts of duct tape

2 point slings are generally better suited for general purpose work. they allow better control of the rifle. i like a 1 point when doing anything in CQB like clearing buildings and such because it allows more movement of the rifle from right to left if need be, however when left dangling the one point generally beat the rifle into my knees.

I like single point for maneuverability too..... It isn't great if you intend to just let it dangle but for me it works great to take weight off your arms and get on target quick when stalking/hunting...it doesn't get in the way like a two point does.... Atleast for me....

AGREED why do people always cheap out on something that might save their life one day??? Just get a Magpul ASAP and a MS2 sling and be done or get a new stock with a QD on it. Hell if you want to be cheap get a wire coat hanger and stretch it out and use some pliers to make the loops around the gun and duct tape loooootts of duct tape

like I said before I can't justify $120+ for a sling and mounts, I would rather spend that money on optics, ammo, more handgun ammo, and maybe even a carbine or pistol course. Something that will possibly save my life and not just make my gun more comfortable to carry.

Thanks for the input all! Think I'm going to give the magpul plate a whirl and get their sling. If I don't like the single point style I will get their little sling attachment loop for my handguard and run it in a 2 point configuration. Ill get this all figured out and working smoothly!

Just keep in mind the Magpul sling is more of a jack of all trades, master of none. My suggestion is to hold of on staking the castle nut until you're sure you like it. Might save you some time and hassle down the road.

ETA: I'm not sure where you're getting $120 from, but you can definitely pull it off for half of that easily.

like I said before I can't justify $120+ for a sling and mounts, I would rather spend that money on optics, ammo, more handgun ammo, and maybe even a carbine or pistol course. Something that will possibly save my life and not just make my gun more comfortable to carry.

Thanks for the input all! Think I'm going to give the magpul plate a whirl and get their sling. If I don't like the single point style I will get their little sling attachment loop for my handguard and run it in a 2 point configuration. Ill get this all figured out and working smoothly!

Last edited:
Just keep in mind the Magpul sling is more of a jack of all trades, master of none. My suggestion is to hold of on staking the castle nut until you're sure you like it. Might save you some time and hassle down the road.

ETA: I'm not sure where you're getting $120 from, but you can definitely pull it off for half of that easily.

It seems that everybody on forums now days are in love with the IWC QD sockets.
Impact Weapons Components
Impact Weapons Components

Theres $60 right there.

Then I would need some QD swivels. Since I honestly am not a cheap ass it will cost me another $30 for them.
GG&G Quick Detach Sling Swivel : Amazon.com : Sports & Outdoors

Then theres the sling I originally wanted. $40.
Amazon.com: Viking Tactics Wide Padded Sling, Black VTAC-MK2-BK: Sports & Outdoors

That right there puts me at $130. Everyone keeps recomending a setup like that on other forums (just from what I am reading from a google search) and I am sorry but that is A LOT of money for a sling. That was my goal of this thread was too see if anyone could make any good recomendations that would keep me down in the $60-$80 range.

I don't know how often you plan to actually use the sling, but my choice was based on Army experience. That simple sling on my M16 was a pain in the rump. I'm a big guy and my rifle always wanted to slide off my arm. I still have a 2 point sling but I have the Troy sling. It has a big comfortable pad that doesn't dig into my neck. I'm using QD mounts because I don't use slings at the range and I can quickly put it on and take it off the same way all the time, did I mention quickly. The Troy is also worn around the back so the rifle will rest across my chest where my trigger hand can rest on the grip. Should it ever get caught up on something I can quickly detach the sling and get control of my rifle. A good sling system is very valuable, it's not about price but function here. I'm not running Magpul sling items but given what you are looking for their sling mounts would work with a basic 2 point sling. You might get away with no QD mounts if you use a end plate that threads the sling through it. I'm not calling you cheap and sorry if it came across that way. I'll mail order equipment in a heartbeat to save bucks, local stores tend to be more expensive at times or simply don't cater to AR's.

I would actually use it quite often. When I go to the range that entails me driving a back road and finding a nice draw all to myself to shoot in. Its so much easier to let the gun hang from me while I reload instead of laying it on the hood of the pickup (without scratching the truck all to hell) or opening and closing the door setting the gun on the seat.

When I go gopher hunting that usually entails me parking and walking maybe 1 mile and maybe 2 miles. I am doing a lot of walking just looking for gophers. Same as when I go coyote hunting. Park and Walk.

I dont know how many times a month I will use the sling or for how long each time I use it but I can safely say that 90% of the time I use the gun I will use the sling. If I can start shooting a few local carbine/pistol matches then I will really be using the sling alot. I would love to get those QD sockets but being in school and only working during the summer I dont have a ton of money to throw around on gear. I would rather get the biggest bang for my buck with my gear, even if its not perfect use it anyways then take the money I save and get more ammo.

https://www.primaryarms.com/Troy_Two_Point_Sling_Black_p/ssli-2ps-00bt-00.htm

Amazon.com: Uncle Mike's Push Button Swivel Picatinny Attachment, 1-Inch Loop: Sports & Outdoors

https://www.primaryarms.com/Magpul_MOE_Polymer_L4_Rail_Section9_Slot_p/mag408blk.htm (If needed)

These are not really suggestions but just comparisons. The sling is what I currently use, the other 2 items are just accessories added that might get you close to your price point.

I was looking at those Uncle Mikes QD sockets/swivels. The only thing that worried me was how far they stuck out. They seemed to stick out way far, if the sling wasnt attached they may be a real PITA. But I couldnt say without really seeing them in person.

I have considered selling the MOE butt stock and upgrading to the CTR.

Last edited:
Considering how often you use that sling I would invest in the sling, use the sling points the MOE has to thread the rear and all you need is a way to attach the front. I have the MOE version of the M&P15-22 but it also came with QD mount sockets/cups but you can thread the sling several ways. Some guys like the picture at the top will mount the front of the sling to the A2 front sight post.

Something like this may solve/help your issue or you can make one yourself if you're handy with such things and save some dough. I'm the guy that will make a rear bag rather than buy it.

Sling Adapter, Stock Sling Adapter, universal Sling Adapter : Amazon.com : Sports & Outdoors

I never used that uncle Mike but it probably wouldn't be an issue. There are more streamline options but the price rises with them. I run Magpul stocks that have QD cups in them, even the FAB/Defense stock on the AR I have pictured all have QD mounts as standard devices. I won't buy a stock for an AR w/o the ability to either attach one or have it come with the stock. Yeah, I realize it does cost to do this, I just didn't do it all at once.

Last edited:
I was pondering just threading the sling through the butt stock but im afraid that when I am just carrying the gun or just letting it hang it wont want to hang correctly. The sling wont allow it lay flat across my body like a sling swivel would allow it too. Theres so many options I just cant decide what way to go.

If you thread it over the buffer tube which I have done it will hang the same way it does when using the QD mount. I tried it when I first got the sling just to see if I needed the QD attachment. Mounted that way with the front mount using the front sight base it wont hang flat as I think you are thinking. The back attachment is more responsible for how the rifle will hang. If you threaded it using the vertical slit that's along the butt pad side you'll be fine, I've tried that as well. I wouldn't use the bottom "angled slit" because that will help the rifle fall over . I'd use the buffer tube portion of the stock to thread the sling.

This is not my rifle pictured but it describes how I would do it on your budget.

Attachments

• example.jpg
    example.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 72
Thats exactly (well pretty darned close) to how I planned but someone told me that it would not hang correctly.

OK So as of 6/19 I am thinking about running the sling through the webbing slot.
Installing this on my handguard.
Then getting a QD swivel

http://www.impactweaponscomponents.com/product/qd-micro-mount/

Pending the shipping is not atrocious that will set me back $60-$70 and put me right where I want to be. If for some reason the webbing doesnt work with the butt stock at a later date I can upgrade to a butt stock with a QD socket or something similar. Anything wrong with a setup like that?

They must have dropped the price on those QD sockets because they also were $30 last time I looked.

Last edited:
No, that's fine. Treading the sling like that will cause the rifle to lay against you with the mag release against/to you, barrel pointing down, sling running around your back. Some people will also mount the QD cup on the opposite side of the hand-guard (port side) sling across the top which will also force the rifle to be in the position you're looking for. Main thing is having it hang barrel down , stock towards your face where you can rest your hand on the grip and have control of the rifle without actually holding it all the time, that's how I like a sling to work; let's you roll the rifle around to your back if you needed to climb as well and the rifle will lay flat against you.

Glad to help out.

Only thing I am not 100% sure on is where I can mount the QD socket. I dont believe the carbine length handguard has enough real estate to mount it on the side like they show but I can mount it on a 45 Degree angle halfway between the side and the top. should work but I dont know for sure. It looks like it should mount on the side but I wont know till I get it.

Ope looks like it should work fine on the angled part.

http://www.impactweaponscomponents....icture-qd-micro-mount-453_jpg_280x280_q85.jpg

I don't see any issue with that, if anything, it'll help the rifle be in the position you are expecting it to be in.

I have used the VCAS and VTAC slings for several years. I prefer the VCAS for lack of free tails and adjustment range decent for a carbine + chest rig. The VTAC is much better suited to longer adjustment needs.

Are you aware of Frank Proctor's sling? It looks very well suited for you uses and minimal mounting methods. It's being made/sold by Troy Ind. ETA: Price is $29 @ Troy.
LINK: Way of the Gun Proctor Sling | Slings

And vid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6agYaKX4XA

Last edited:
So I ended up getting a Padded VTac sling at a good price.. Unaware that it was such a long sling. Im not a big guy by any means but it is a VERY long sling.

I currently have the sling attached to the butt stock. Im still waiting for my IWC flush QD socket to arrive but just for shits and giggles I attached the sling to the QD gas block... I have the sling attached and adjusted so that it is attached to the butt stock as close as the two buckles will let me and the QD swivel is also attached as close as I can possibly get it.

When the slider is tightened as far as it can go without removing the velcro keeper the butt stock sits just below my collar bone and the end of the A2 bird cage rubs the top of my left knee. When the gun is raised it is IMHO perfect, I can apply a little pressure to help steady myself but I am still able to move the gun around freely. When it is just hung I can place my hand on the pistol grip and my elbow makes a nice 90-95 degree angle. I can also rotate the gun around to my back and it works great as a traditional muzzle up sling. When The slider is loosed the gun hangs nice and free. It goes from hanging slightly muzzle to my left to muzzle straight down and trigger sits about level with the "H" in the middle of my Belt buckle. Im sure this winter with a jacket the sling will still work great coyote hunting.

Heres my problem: If I were to use the IWC Mount-N-Slot and mount it like they recomend there would be no possible way for me to adjust the sling. it physically will not adjust small enough for me while still alowing me to use the quick adjustments. Not that I will likely need them but if I start shooting at the local carbine/pistol matches I might.

Should I just return the Mount-N-Slot and run the sling as is? Find a different sling? Thing Im worried about is that when the gas block starts to heat up, the QD swivel will start to heat up, and that nylon is going to want to melt wont it?
Also with the sling attached to the bottom of the gas block the rifle wants to tip the optics down to the ground if I bend over slightly.

If what I am trying to describe doesnt make sense let me know, Ill get a few pictures.

Last edited:
I can't stand those tails from those slings. In a search for a better sling I stumbled across a SavvySniper Quad sling. A little pricier but no long tail and quicker adjustment. There are some copies out there but the guy has great customer service and can even build one to a custom length if you so desire.

Tapatalk2

They look good! But at $80 I have to pass on that one. I could live with the tails but the sling itself is just too long for me and my gun/mounting situation.

Back to the internet to look for more slings/mounting options!

That right there puts me at $130. Everyone keeps recomending a setup like that on other forums (just from what I am reading from a google search) and I am sorry but that is A LOT of money for a sling. That was my goal of this thread was too see if anyone could make any good recomendations that would keep me down in the $60-$80 range.

Gear Sector GS-2P™ Carbine: $37.19
Gear Sector Rail Mount QD Swivel: $43.25
Magpul MOE Rail Pieces: $7.17

For $87.61 you're done. $7.61 above your high range. If that's still too much then use the standard sling swivel on the front.

Last edited:
I dont have a standard swivel. I have one of S&W Older "Optic Ready Carbines" Back when I got mine they used a large gas block that is pinned to the barrel. It has a QD Socket in the bottom as well as a small threaded hole which Im guessing you can mount a standard swivel.

So far my best to options are.

Run the Vtac, get a mount like this and mount it to the top of the gas block so that the rifle no longer tries to tip optics down when bending over.
Rainier Arms™ | Browse | Rail Mounted | Fortis Rail Attachment Point

Or

Try to return/resell the Vtac sling. Get the gear sector carbine sling and install the IWC flush QD mount I got. While hoping that it is short enough to run the way that I was planning and that I can get my IWC mount installed without it beating up against my optic/mount.

Just because something is cheap doesn't mean it's junk or that it will get you killed. OP I have made several ms3 type slings using strong webbing and the quick adjust buckles offof an A.L.I.C.E. pack. I have like $1.27 in mine and they work great. I hate single points Especially for CQB. Nothing like busting up your chin, nuts and knees.
If you need pics or a how to on the sling, let me know.

I broke my single point and cleared 1200 rooms over the course of a month in Al Fadhil using a 2qt canteen strap as as a two point sling. Even it was better than the single point for that type of work (for me)

There is a reason that you would be hard pressed to find someone in a ranger bat or group that uses a single point sling.