• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best options for an entry level shooter who wants gear to grow into

cynologist

Private
Minuteman
Aug 11, 2022
Virginia, USA
I'm a person with lots of M4 experience but very, very limited experience with shooting anything beyond the 300-yard mark. I've done a little bit of long range shooting years past, though I consider myself only about half a step past starting fresh. I'm also a person who believes in buying good gear from the start and growing into it, rather than buying entry level stuff and then replacing it a year or two down the road (go big or go home). I have a Vortex Viper lying around the house somewhere (I don't know which version of it exactly, but I bought it about ten years ago), but I'm looking at getting something a little better for this.

I have an Accuracy International AT308 ordered that I'll hopefully be able to pick up this week sometime, and now I'm looking for a nice scope that I can both learn with and still be happy with five years from now.

Right now my eye is on a Nightforce ATACR 7-35x56, or possibly a Leupold Mk 5HD/Mk6 of one sort or another. I want something effective at the 1000-yard range or beyond (I realize my AT308 may not be perfectly suited for this distance, but I'm sure I'll at some point get something in .338 LM or .300 WM that can manage it better). Something rugged and durable would be ideal, a scope that can take bumps and shakes and even drops without much risk. Something that can be safely carried while attached to a rifle in a soft case in the back of a vehicle or carried on my own back. As far as conditions, it is frequently humid in the non-winter months here so if certain scopes are better at seeing through mirage, that'll be a big plus for them.

I'm a disabled veteran and so I believe I qualify for Nightforce's discount program, and I don't know what other manufacturers offer one. I'm aiming for something in the $2500-$3000 range after any applicable discounts are applied, though I'm willing to go as high as perhaps $3500 if I really have to.

All that said, what should I be looking at?

Atacr 7-35 with the mil-xt reticle will do ya just fine but it may be worth seeing if any of the ZCO dealers know if there's a mil discount as that would be the best option. @MOUNTIC is a damn good guy to deal with and a dealer so he can help you out in regards to seeing if there is a military discount for them.

Atacr 7-35 with the mil-xt reticle will do ya just fine but it may be worth seeing if any of the ZCO dealers know if there's a mil discount as that would be the best option. @MOUNTIC is a damn good guy to deal with and a dealer so he can help you out in regards to seeing if there is a military discount for them.
Thanks, I'm definitely leaning towards that one now. The XT reticle is very busy looking - I assume this will be beneficial to me at longer ranges once I've learned to correctly use all the markings outside the main crosshairs? Back in my forward observer days I knew how to read mils on a reticle, I'm very out of practice and I'm hopeful that it will come back to me easily, but our reticled binos were much more simplistic than this. However I got the discounted pricing information for it from Nightforce and I'm satisfied with what they're asking, so this might be the way I go.

Reactions: Krob95
A tree reticle will be a good one to grow into as you had put it. As you progress you will learn how it works and be able to utilize it more. Makes hold overs with wind that much easier.

You'd certainly qualify for the Bushnell & RCBS VIP program. The XRS3 is certainly worth looking at. The RCBS stuff you'll likely be needing. The one program covers Bushnell, RCBS, Hoppe's, Champion Target, Weaver, Primos, Blackhawk, and Butler Creek.

Reactions: Krob95 and Speed
Thanks, I'm definitely leaning towards that one now. The XT reticle is very busy looking - I assume this will be beneficial to me at longer ranges once I've learned to correctly use all the markings outside the main crosshairs? Back in my forward observer days I knew how to read mils on a reticle, I'm very out of practice and I'm hopeful that it will come back to me easily, but our reticled binos were much more simplistic than this. However I got the discounted pricing information for it from Nightforce and I'm satisfied with what they're asking, so this might be the way I go.

Download the reticle manual off their website and take a study. The sub-tensions are very usable.

While it may seem cluttered, they're much better than older mil designs. Much more info, while having less to look through. It's pretty easy to ignore what you're not looking at.

Almost every shooting sports company offers some sort of mill discount program. Leupold has a good one also, but stick to the Mark 5 series as the mark 6 is very dated and the mark 8 also could do with a full redesign.

I'm a disabled veteran and so I believe I qualify for Nightforce's discount program, and I don't know what other manufacturers offer one.
Many are available via Expertvoice.com
Bushnell, Leupold, Nightforce, and Meopta are available through their own sales departments.

I am sure there are others, it never hurts to ask.

As a curtesy and usually stated as a disenrolling offense, please keep actual discount amounts and prices to yourself or folks who you know are also eligible, e.g. others in your DoD unit. Venders have been known to shut their program down entirely because of their discount broadcast all over the internet or someone wasting some store employees time only to say "Thanks, I'm going to go home and order it with my discount!"
Equal parts discretion and OPSEC.