• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best out of the box accuracy???

canada_kid

Private
Minuteman
May 30, 2009
im looking to set up a rifle for target shooting and hunting, and im looking for the most accurate out of the box, in 300 Win Mag. budget is set somewhere around 2G. So far i have been looking at the savage 110fp, the remington ltr, and the tikka tactical. any other options would be greatly appreciated I kno many people like the remmy 700 due to the after market parts but thats not what im looking for. looking forward to any replies. thanks.

Re: Best out of the box accuracy???

Tikka T3's are pretty good out of the box, I would avoid the tactical as its a bit overpriced for a little more plastic and a threaded barrel. You could always hit Pete Lincoln up for his RCS and swap between the two stocks for hunting/target shooting depending on how much weight you want to lug around. That combo should still be under 2k as well.

-pd

I have an A-bolt medallion in .300WM with a 26" barrel and it shoots great. Sub MOA at 100yd can be achieved even with factory ammo, take that for what its worth. The rifle was made in japan, too.

thanks for the input guys, that RCS stock for the tikka from Pete Lincoln looks to be the business. does anyone have any experience with the tikka and the savage? which one is going to give me the tightest groups downrange?

I can't really comment on Savage...never owned one. From what I see they seem to be good shoters.

But I do have lots of hands on time with Tikka's, I currently own two of the Lite models. One in .243 and one in .223. My friend has a Tikka Tactical in .223 and I owned one in .308.

All of them will shoot five shot sub 1/2" groups at 100yrds with quality factory ammo.

The Lite model does come in .300WM but boy...that thing will beat you up I would think. They only weigh 6 lbs or so.

In fact....I owned a TRG-22 that I sold to a hind member here...and all my Tikka's would out shoot it. Don't get me wrong...the TRG is a great rifle and would shoot 1/2" groups all day long...but the Tikka's always had the edge.

For the price (Tikka Lite) for under $500.00 and how they shoot...they are hard to beat...at any price.

Here are some groups I have shot with my different Tikka's. Top one is my latest reloads for my .223...the rest are with factory ammo.

Good luck on your search.

Take care,Stan

No experiance with the Tikka. However, I have not seen one of the newer Savages not shoot with proper loads. I have 2 lrpv(22-250 and 223) and both shoot lights out. I have friends with 308s and they all shoot. I would not hesitate to buy one if I was buying a factory gun.

1+ on the Tikka also. I have a 223 and it is a shooter.

With that kind of budget you could probably find a custom/semi-custom built rifle.

With that being said, Ive had a bunch of savages and Tikka's. They both shot very well but I really like the smoothness of the Tikka's. I wouldnt hesitate to buy either one but i would have to go with the Tikka.

Goodluck!!!

Without knowing your current capability and experience, it's hard to say.

If you're starting out, I would consider a .300WM to be a whole lotta gun for a beginner, and not be bashfull about trying to convince you to turn down the wick a bit until the demonstrated need for something like the .300WM arises without any question. if your progess is still at teh initial stage, honestly, I'd rather suggest a Savage 10FCP .223, and a very basic Savage MKII .22lr. Economical, uncomplicated, inherently accurate, and very much more conducive to longer practice and training sessions that's something that's as much of a Kaboomenwhacker as a .300WM.

If, on the other hand, you're an old hand at rifle marksmanship, and your needs require a reach that well exceeds 1000yd, I'd go for the mag alright, but I'd rather go 7mm than .30cal, and suggest something in a 7mm Rem Mag. I'd like to recommend a Savage, but a quick review of their offerings shows 7mm RM in sporter barrels, but not in a varmint weight barrel, and I'd much rather see that for the 7mm RM I'd be suggesting. To me, it would be worth investing in an aftermarket barrel to achieve that end.

Greg

My dad owns a Remington 700 5R in 300 WM. It cost him around $1050.00 out the door from our local dealer. With his handloads he can shoot 1 MOA or better. I'm not a big fan of the recoil even with a Vais brake and and the Limbsaver installed it still bothers me. I know, I know I'm a wuss. I'll stick to my 308's

I have had experience with Savage, Remington, and Browning. I can say without question that the Savages collectively shoot better at long distances out of the box in my experience. If you are set on the 300WM, and you decided to go Savage, you might want to hold out just a bit. From what was posted over at ar15.com today, they are introducing this caliber in the 10FCP. This rifle will come with the accu-trigger, accu-stock, box magazine and a few other nice options that you can read about on the Savage site and at ar15.com under precision rifles.

2+ on the Tikka, You can get a T3 lite for 500 and it will shoot under 1" with good ammo, and even better with a good hand load. They have a good action, great barrel, and a great trigger for a low end out of the box rifle. The only downside would be the cost of accessories.

Get a stevens 200 throw away the barrel and stock and buy a good barrel for it in every caliber you like, get bolt heads, a bell and carlson medalist tactical stock, headspace guages and action wrench, you will have a little over 1000 bucks in a 3 barrel setup and it will outshoot any remington winchester or otherwise stock out of the box setup. Thats with you doing all the work.

Stevens 200 - 300.00
.308 bbl - 150.00
.204 bbl - 150.00
.223 bbl - 150.00
bolt heads 35.00 x 2
wrench and headspace gauges 100.00
Bell & Carlson 200.00

how about a used hs precsion they guarentee 1/2moa thats tuff to beat. I would for sure build a custom if you have 2g's my smith can build you one for under 2g's and he will guarentee 1/2moa also. if you want info pm and I will get you his contact info.

good luck with the search.

.308 Remington 700 used out of a pawn shop. Make sure the bolt, chamber, barrel and crown look ok. Spend all the rest of your money on good glass and ammo. A really good scope you can keep while you trade rifles.
If you don't have a .22 do what Greg suggested. I shoot a hundred rounds of .22 for every 10 rounds in my big rifle.

I like Tikka's a lot and have two of them. Out of the box they will do sub moa quite easily. I'm pretty sure you can get that out of the three you mentioned without any great headache.