• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes best overall scope power range

hdfoxguns

Private
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2010
texas
I am courious as to what everyone would consider the best scope power range. I am going to be shooting some sniper matches and F-Class matches. I think that a 6 to 24 in FFP would work well. What are most people using that play these games?

Re: best overall scope power range

6X24 should work well for you, but with my old eyes, I need as much magnification as I can afford at distances of 1000 yards or more. Wish I had started LR shooting when I was younger.

If you plan on shooting long distance you should get a thinner SFP reticle as an FFP reticle will be thick on high power and cover more of your target.
If you are going to do tactical competitions then an FFP would be better.
If you're going to do both those things with one scope then it's going to be less then ideal in one or the other depending on what you decide.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wanabe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am courious as to what everyone would consider the best scope power range. I am going to be shooting some sniper matches and F-Class matches. I think that a 6 to 24 in FFP would work well. What are most people using that play these games? </div></div>

Well first off, WTF is a "sniper match"? CMP Vintage Sniper? Your local Tri-State Best Cop shootout? Specific divisions and matches have very specific rules on what's allowed, so "sniper matches" means nothing.

As for F-Class, that's much more insightful. Most people are using SECOND focal plane scopes with higher magnifications. 24 will be ok, but the vast majority of people are in the 30s and 40s. Occasional 50x Sightrons and 80x Marches, and a lot of folks are using fixed mag, like Leupolds Competition line.

As someone else hinted at, F-Class rigs are highly unsuitable for "tactical" games, just as 3-gun rifles are pretty bad at benchrest.

I really like the size and weight of most 4-16 to 5-25 series of scope, a good quality 5-20 is pretty much optimal for all knds of shooting.