• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Best OWB holster

jbjarko

Private
Minuteman
Feb 22, 2009
Peoria, Az
Hello, looking to get a new holster. My main concern is that of retention. As far as I can tell, the Blade-tech's and Comp-tac's, while highly regarded, lack a retention system. The Blackhawk Serpa system has its obvious patrons and those who would never use it. What makes a Comp-tac or Blade-tech worth the extra money over a cheaper Blackhawk? Should I be concerned about retention with either of the aforementioned holsters?

What says the hide?

Thanks in advance,

Josh

Re: Best OWB holster

Take a look at the Tucker Silent Thunder or the Silent Thunder STX. Its a great holster, has good retention for a concealment rig and has a lifetime guarantee. The Silent Thunder holsters are kydex on the outside and leather lined on the inside for a smooth and quiet draw. Its the best holster I've ever owned. Mine is for my glock 33.
Also, DeSantis makes a new holster called the Facilitator. It's kydex on the outside and has a locking mechanism that goes through the trigger guard as well as rentention screws. Just be careful if you are using it with a glock. It's a nice holster though for the money.
Another good rig for the money and one of my all time favorites is the Aker Flatsider model 168. Its very comfortable to wear and conceals extremely well. The only downside is that its leather instead of kydex. The last Flatsider I had lasted me about 10 yrs. Its still useable but the finish has worn off in certain areas around the edges where it would rub up against my seatbelt.
There are lots of good options out there these days as far as holsters go. There are a lot of bad ones too. I'm sure you'll find something that will meet your needs though.

Chad

Re: Best OWB holster

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jbjarko</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hello, looking to get a new holster. My main concern is that of retention. As far as I can tell, the Blade-tech's and Comp-tac's, while highly regarded, lack a retention system. The Blackhawk Serpa system has its obvious patrons and those who would never use it. What makes a Comp-tac or Blade-tech worth the extra money over a cheaper Blackhawk? Should I be concerned about retention with either of the aforementioned holsters?

What says the hide?

Thanks in advance,

Josh </div></div>

Josh,

CompTac holsters use a pressure fit over the trigger guard for retention. In other words, the holster pinches the trigger guard to retain your holster. They have set screws to determine the amount of tension. I have, errantly, made mine so tight that I could not draw with out great effort. I have used these for the last 2 years without an unintentional release.

Check them out.

You do realize though that holsters are like women's shoes. You will have a bunch of them laying around, some you may not even remember why you bought them.