• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best patrol/self defense optic?

yeshuascoming

Private
Minuteman
Feb 18, 2023
Maine
Hey guys. Some of you helped me decide on a LWRC DI as a patrol/farm defense rifle. I am looking for a rugged optic. I had considered a LPVO but have read they aren’t quite as reliable as a dot/holographic. I’m thinking about an eotech XPS2-0. Anything better under $500?

This is another option

They have coincell and AAA versions
If you get the AAA make sure to use an industrial battery

What does a farm defense rifle need to withstand?

I’m envisioning a rifle that rides in a soft case behind the seat of a single cab pickup or on the back seat of a double cab pickup. Are rear window racks still a thing? Maybe it rides on a “razor” or a 4 wheeler. It’s also possible that it spends some life riding uncased and muzzle down in the front seat. But, it’s not jumping out of airplanes (though it might yeat itself out of the front seat if you’re not careful), or diving, or bouncing down the side of a mountain. It gets shot at targets of opportunity (coyotes, pigs, etc) and may be called upon for “bumps in the night.”

All told, that’s a pretty cush life. I think most people vastly overthink their durability needs. And, most vastly overestimate the fragility of modern optics.

If you want a dot/holographic sight and a magnifier, buy it because it’s the best for your needs, not because you’ll break an LPVO.

For my money, I’d go with a 1-8 LPVO and a top mounted RDS.

This is another option

They have coincell and AAA versions
If you get the AAA make sure to use an industrial battery

On your recommendation I did some research and I really like the options that this comes with. In particular the reticle choices. One of the reasons I was looking at the eotech was because of the large circle with center dot. I have a holosun with a similar reticle that I really like.
My only question would be is this as durable as the Aimpoint?

What does a farm defense rifle need to withstand?

I’m envisioning a rifle that rides in a soft case behind the seat of a single cab pickup or on the back seat of a double cab pickup. Are rear window racks still a thing? Maybe it rides on a “razor” or a 4 wheeler. It’s also possible that it spends some life riding uncased and muzzle down in the front seat. But, it’s not jumping out of airplanes (though it might yeat itself out of the front seat if you’re not careful), or diving, or bouncing down the side of a mountain. It gets shot at targets of opportunity (coyotes, pigs, etc) and may be called upon for “bumps in the night.”

All told, that’s a pretty cush life. I think most people vastly overthink their durability needs. And, most vastly overestimate the fragility of modern optics.

If you want a dot/holographic sight and a magnifier, buy it because it’s the best for your needs, not because you’ll break an LPVO.

For my money, I’d go with a 1-8 LPVO and a top mounted RDS.
It’s not necessarily what it will or won’t be doing, it’s a question of durability. I would rather have something that is built to tolerances that can withstand all of the above as it simply means it’s built better. And if it’s built better then it’s less likely to break regardless of how cushy it’s life is.

Hey guys. Some of you helped me decide on a LWRC DI as a patrol/farm defense rifle. I am looking for a rugged optic. I had considered a LPVO but have read they aren’t quite as reliable as a dot/holographic. I’m thinking about an eotech XPS2-0. Anything better under $500?

To me the optic is driven by the purpose of the rifle. 0-250 yards and under most of the time = dot of some kind. If it is going to stretch out from 250 to 500 there is a lot of crossover but dot + magnifier, lpvo or fixed magnification like an ACOG. Going out past 500? I think LPVO plus dot. Are you going to shoot at night with it? Eotech or Aimpoint for NODs.

My going to the range gun that I built to kind of compete (thanks to the people on this forum who helped by sharing their experience) uses an 1 -8 ATACR with a top mounted RMR. My I am going in and out of my truck and shooting at targets of opportunity (mostly feral pigs) is a 4 power ACOG with a top mounted RMR. My I am shooting at night rifle is the ACOG rifle with an inline clipon thermal.

In no particular order:

Aimpoint T2
Aimpoint Duty
Aimpoint PRO
Sig Sauer Romeo 4XT Pro

You guys covered the better choices in my opinion. Hard to beat an Aimpoint Pro. Eotech EXPS 3-0 if running nods.

#Barska

#JustAsGood
giphy (1).gif

• Haha
Reactions: TheHorta
On your recommendation I did some research and I really like the options that this comes with. In particular the reticle choices. One of the reasons I was looking at the eotech was because of the large circle with center dot. I have a holosun with a similar reticle that I really like.
My only question would be is this as durable as the Aimpoint?
I would not expect it to be any different. Either sight will serve your needs well.

For the build you are doing it would be a good idea to get backup irons as and put witness marks on your screws

Reactions: yeshuascoming
If you really need durable, get an acog and a micro red dot.

I think most people vastly overthink their durability needs. And, most vastly overestimate the fragility of modern optics.
For sure. I can't count the number of times I've seen shitty optics like Strike Eagles snag a wall and completely arrest the significant momentum of the person carrying it, or get thrown at a dump barrel from 5 feet away, miss, and dig a trench in the ground. I've even seen a few objective bells get ripped from contact with other guns and equipment. And they pretty much all hold zero and keep working fine.

Rome 5x
holosun gm515
PA slx
these are all you really need but LPVOs are every bit as reliable

I have a small 40 acre ranch/farm . We raise and sell poultry , turkey's , chickens , and quail . grow all of our vegetables , have bee hive's , have our own stone mill and grind all our wheat ,basically we are self sufficient . Most of our meat is venison , So that being said all kinds of things want to eat our poultry and garden's . I keep a 16 inch carbine with an Aimpoint pro and a light . it rides in my side x side in the seat and set's by my bed at night . I have made many trip's out the door at night when the predator's get out and prowl . The simpler you keep it the better off you are , my Aimpoint is always on , Because trying to get things turned on at 1 a.m. and your half awake really suck's . Just my personal experience .

Prism. Simple, which lends itself to more durable; large field of view, generally inexpensive relative to variable power. Available in anywhere from 1x, 2x, 3x, 4x, 5x, and some half steps in between.

Between 8 oz to 25 oz, some good options across $200 Swampfox up to $1500 or more with Trijicon ACOG/RMR combos. Steiner, Primary Arms also offer Prisms.

Reactions: stanley_white
These posts just keep coming. Some newbie saying some shit about LPVO not being reliable.

Dude its 2024, not 1994. LPVO are on the rifles of guys jumping out of planes at 35K FT where its freezing cold and landing in the water or on land where it could be 120 degrees. Getting banged around in shoothouses every week, off of vechicles, doing battle drills ect. For some redneck on a farm, its a non issue unless you abuse the optic, then it wont matter what brand or type you will buy. If you can't be treated to trust an optic like an optic, then stick with irons.

If you want the capability to actually be able to identify and make good hits past like 100-200 yards, then you should be looking at a LPVO. Problem is, your budget sucks for that. You need to spend atleast double that to get something of comparable quality to a $4-500 aimpont (which should be only consideration IMO). Eotech is a great up close optic, but for what you are looking for, its not the best choice. Most Sig optics are garbage, they just throw a bunch of money at the faggy youtube influences to peddle their shit. You are going to need to spend upwards of 1-1.5K to get into something from them worth shooting (Tango6).

Sounds like you have ribeye taste on a dollar menu budget.

These posts just keep coming. Some newbie saying some shit about LPVO not being reliable.

Dude its 2024, not 1994. LPVO are on the rifles of guys jumping out of planes at 35K FT where its freezing cold and landing in the water or on land where it could be 120 degrees. Getting banged around in shoothouses every week, off of vechicles, doing battle drills ect. For some redneck on a farm, its a non issue unless you abuse the optic, then it wont matter what brand or type you will buy. If you can't be treated to trust an optic like an optic, then stick with irons.

If you want the capability to actually be able to identify and make good hits past like 100-200 yards, then you should be looking at a LPVO. Problem is, your budget sucks for that. You need to spend atleast double that to get something of comparable quality to a $4-500 aimpont (which should be only consideration IMO). Eotech is a great up close optic, but for what you are looking for, its not the best choice. Most Sig optics are garbage, they just throw a bunch of money at the faggy youtube influences to peddle their shit. You are going to need to spend upwards of 1-1.5K to get into something from them worth shooting (Tango6).

Sounds like you have ribeye taste on a dollar menu budget.
Sounds like you have daddy issues or are just retarded. Maybe both.

Prism also.. I picked up a Burris AR332 on sale, way better than I expected. Its similar to a red dot, but has etched reticle, big circle reticle for fast acquisition, illuminated, small size, rugged, and 3x. 50yds its perfect. They also make a 5x. If i were to pick one for your application it would be a prism scope.

Prism. Simple, which lends itself to more durable; large field of view, generally inexpensive relative to variable power. Available in anywhere from 1x, 2x, 3x, 4x, 5x, and some half steps in between.
This, run a 5x on my 18” 5.56 and 3x micro on the 300BO pistol. Both Primary Arms and have held up well to being banged round in the SxS. The 3x has shake awake so it‘s always on. The 5x replaced a Trijicon LPVO, since it was almost always on its max magnification anyway.

Prism also.. I picked up a Burris AR332 on sale, way better than I expected. Its similar to a red dot, but has etched reticle, big circle reticle for fast acquisition, illuminated, small size, rugged, and 3x. 50yds its perfect. They also make a 5x. If i were to pick one for your application it would be a prism scope.
I haven't played with one yet, but when these are in stock they are like sub $200 and i have heard decent things.. I'm going to order one for shits and giggles, should be a fun little optic. Having owned almost every flavor of Acog over the years, we will be interested to see how it compares. Not much to go wrong in a Prisim IMO. Steiner, Hensdolt and a bunch of euro companies make similar ones.

I am putting three ar’s together right now
Time to update the stable

The toughest optics setup will have an led Acog the ta02 with an aimpoint t2 mounted in the 12’oclock position with a T. rex arms mount

The other one will have an atacr with T2 in 12 o clock position

The other one will be a Leupold mark 5 3.6-18 with a dpp at the 12 o clock positions

Will be interesting to try out an acog setup a lpvo setup and and mpvo setup

If you want a cheaper and semi decent lpvo to try then look at a Burris RT6. Otherwise a Burris XTRII 1-8 used. The XTRII 1-8 is made in Japan vs the other XTRII which are Philippines.

I’ve used both. Had the 1-8 as a work optic for a bit. It’s definitely heavier than a red dot. Made my DDM4V11 feel super top heavy

If you want a cheaper and semi decent lpvo to try then look at a Burris RT6. Otherwise a Burris XTRII 1-8 used. The XTRII 1-8 is made in Japan vs the other XTRII which are Philippines.

I’ve used both. Had the 1-8 as a work optic for a bit. It’s definitely heavier than a red dot. Made my DDM4V11 feel super top heavy
I’m familiar with the RT6. And have had good luck with an xtriii 3.3-18 that I have on another rifle. I’m not too concerned about budget. I mean, I won’t spend the $ on an atacr, but will spend a reasonable amount for durability. I had been looking at the Steiner P4XI but had read an account (on this site) of a few failures. Anyways, I’ll probably get an Aimpoint Pro and a magnifier. Thanks!

Reactions: hafejd30
I am putting three ar’s together right now
Time to update the stable

The toughest optics setup will have an led Acog the ta02 with an aimpoint t2 mounted in the 12’oclock position with a T. rex arms mount

The other one will have an atacr with T2 in 12 o clock position

The other one will be a Leupold mark 5 3.6-18 with a dpp at the 12 o clock positions

Will be interesting to try out an acog setup a lpvo setup and and mpvo setup
The TA02 with a red dot is an incredible setup. Works great with NODS, also works great with a thermal clipon inline with the ACOG.

I use a lot of Eotech optics but just this one AimPoint Patrol on a 9mm Colt carbine , it has been very reliable.

Sniper Hide Post Annotated Photo 2021 copy.jpeg
IMG_4855 copy.JPG

Work gun had an Aimpoint Pro and it was plenty good for patrol rifle distances - inside 100 yards. It could be used beyond that for sure but with my eyesights past 150 I want to start having some magnification.

My play rifle has a TA33 ACOG. Much better eye relief than the 4X issue type models.

3X is good mag for carbine distances and can be used beyond.

The lack of an ocular focus is its great weakness. I can’t use my ACOG without my glasses and I have a very weak prescription. There is no reticle only a horse shoe unless I have my glasses on.

I've got a number of ARs but my go-to gun is a 11.5" IWI AR pistol with light, laser, and US OPTICS 1-8 LPVO. We live in the country, surrounded by forest and critters are abundant. Gun is 100% reliable. Israelis know how to build weapons that can take a beating.