• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

best piston ar15 upper

Re: best piston ar15 upper

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Powder Burns</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Doesn't matter, those are the best two. </div></div>

Yes...no doubt about that!!

POF and LWRC are excellent..I love my POF's.

If not either of those options, also look at LMT.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Powder Burns</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Doesn't matter, those are the best two.</div></div>

+1000

There are several produced using versions of Adams Arms piston systems...or you could by their kit and build it yourself:

carbinesystem01.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1911nbmore</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Recently pick up a LMT Piston upper. Im very happy with it so far. </div></div>I have two piston uppers, one unfired, LMT is outstanding.

I am a fan of the PWS long-stroke piston system. Recoil isn't as harsh as a short-stroke however they do cost a touch more. As far as I know, PWS and Addax Tactical are the only manufacturers of long-stroke piston uppers.

NONE, I am not a fan of the piston AR's for one simple fact ....... there is NO standard spec. Each manufacturer has their own specs and build numbers. Thats the great thing about the AR in DI ... there is spec, and then there is shit not in spec ....... you can buy any number of parts from any manufacturer and if they are in spec they will go right on. With a piston each company makes things a little different ,.....

If you are at a match and your gas key comes loose or something happens to it you can swap with anyone else there, if something in the piston goes down you gotta have specific makers stuff to get it back up and running.

+1 my whole hangup with piston AR's, it goes down where do you get parts? A gas tube, gas rings, or carrier key can be had real fast for real cheap. Which system has more moving parts to fail?

If you want a piston gun go with a M1,M14, ect . If you want a Ar stay with DI.All this hype on conversion kits/uppers is B.S. because everybody has a "Better way" save your money. Or Buy a different platform.I.M.O.
Scot

Tell me when your DI ran 2k rounds with minimal lubricant and no issues... The piston systems make sense... just buy quality and not crap.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ORD</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Powder Burns</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Doesn't matter, those are the best two. </div></div>

If not either of those options, also look at LMT. </div></div>
I like my <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">LWRC M6A2-S</span></span> in MRE (Multi-Regional Earthtone). The <span style="font-style: italic">"S"</span> stands for "<span style="font-style: italic">Stretch</span>". Unlike typical "midlength" uppers, the gas block on the M6A2-S is moved forward for a true midlength gas system. I don't know how much the longer gas system helps reduce the recoil pulse, but my M6A2-S doesn't shoot noticibly "harder" than my Bushmaster A2 16" Shorty (DI) did.

The M6A2-S isn't a regular "catalog" configuration from LWRC - it is manufactured by LWRC for a company called <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Expedition Exchange</span></span>. EE sells the M6A2-S in 14.7" barrel + pinned flash suppressor and 16.1" barrel with thread-on flash suppressor. Both barrel lengths are available in BLACK and MRE finish. The rail system appears more brownish than it looks in the photos. It is actually closer to OD in person.

I also like the one-piece (monolithic) bolt carrier. No worries about a staked key <span style="font-style: italic">ever</span> coming loose. I just got my upper a couple of weeks ago, and haven't had a chance to go sight it in. Below are some photos of my M6A2-S Upper mounted on a Pre-Ban Bushmaster lower.

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">LWRC M6A2-S in MRE finish w/Magpul UBR in OD & Black, OD MIAD, Tango Down Rail Covers, & Larue LT-706 + KMW PodLoc:</span></span>
LWRCM6A2-SMREMagpulRSACOG28x6.jpg

LWRCM6A2-SMREMagpulRSRAACOG28x6.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Closeups of M6A2-S MRE gas block:</span></span>
LWRCM6A2-SMREGBRSRS8x6.jpg

LWRCM6A2-SMREGBRSLR8x6.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">M6A2-S Short-Stroke Piston System:</span></span>
LWRCM6A2-SRSGasPistonSystem2.jpg

LWRCM6A2-SPistonSystem.jpg

LWRCM6A2-SBCGPiston.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">LWRC Monolithic Bolt Carrier Group:</span></span>
LWRCM6A2-SBCG.jpg

LWRCM6A2-SBCGDA.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold">NOTE:</span> <span style="font-style: italic">While the photo above shows gas rings installed on the bolt, they are unnecessary on the LWRC Piston System. The bolt can be run with or without the rings.</span>

Keith

i like the piston systems because they run a lot cleaner. most rifles in the future will have piston systems, i think what i'm going to do is wait and see what the military adopts and run an ar15 with that system, but i do like the pof piston ar's and i've been looking hard at that stag arms 8L (i'm a lefty)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hilbillee</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Excellent looking weapon. </div></div>
Thank you!

Keith

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: M24kinnamon_4c</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tell me when your DI ran 2k rounds with minimal lubricant and no issues... The piston systems make sense... just buy quality and not crap. </div></div>

So tell me when the company is out of business and something breaks, what are you going to do ?

I think LWRC, LMT (yes LMT makes a piston setup as well) and POF have made pretty good ground in the AR business in the last few years... might want to check on your bushmasters, colts and the rest of the herd (same platform and higher prices). We the end users expect a system that works better than the last or whats the point of coming up with "new" products if nothing really changes.... I'm not in it for the looks... just the functional part. Piston systems make sense. OUT!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: M24kinnamon_4c</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tell me when your DI ran 2k rounds with minimal lubricant and no issues... The piston systems make sense... just buy quality and not crap. </div></div>

Other than a few drops of miltec on breaks I have a bushy that has done it at least three times at classes.

Now when was the last time you HAD to run any AR without an opportunity to at least do a quick wipedown relube of the BCG and upper?

Get a piston if you want, but if you believe your buy quality statement to be true, then arguing about DI vs. Piston from a reliability standpoint is like arguing which bowling ball is more reliable.

My stand point with the "quality" statement was simple... You CAN'T compare an LWRC or POF product to a piston "kit"..... I'm sure you can see a difference from your Bushmaster (which I'm glad you had such amazing luck with) as opposed to a Model 1 unit. I've had my fair share of DI Ar's and compared to my LWRC they can't come close to its reliability streak. So your comment about which "bowling ball is more reliable" doesn't hold true here.... yes all bowling balls are spherical but certain details such as weight and finger size come in play to the end user that show the difference...

"Now when was the last time you HAD to run any AR without an opportunity to at least do a quick wipedown relube of the BCG and upper?"

This is a true statement and I'm not going to fight you on it. Although, while I have served overseas on a couple deployments I can tell you that my DI colt had its issues when not properly maintained (not due to neglect but actual combat use).... these quick wipe downs and relubes don't resolve all problems.

But what happens in 10 years when LWRC and POF are no longer making rifles because of the political climate bans them and something breaks? What are you going to do then? Either search around for parts which may or may not be available, or have someone make them.

Now if a DI gun breaks in that same time frame you can go to just about anyone and get parts to fix it.

I just dont think that the piston gun is going to really catch on and people having multiples like a DI gun until there is an industry wide standard spec like a DI gun has.

I am looking at buying the LWRC M6A3 10.5" for use with a can, I have heard good things about them. I like the adjustable gas block.

With all the discussion about piston vs. direct impingment I have a question. Isn't the AK-47 piston driven? And the SKS? Aren't they considered to be the most reliable battle weapons built? Especially since they have been produced more than any other system.
Before anyone starts going nuts just think how many have been produced and how many countries use them or a variant of them. So that should say something about the reliability of the system. And no, I don't own either one now, even though I have in the past.
Like I have said before, it's a good thing that everybody doesn't like the same thing or there wouldn't be enough to go around.
And opinions are like a**holes, everybody has one. Even if we don't agree with it we should respect it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hilbillee</div><div class="ubbcode-body">With all the discussion about piston vs. direct impingment I have a question. Isn't the AK-47 piston driven? And the SKS? Aren't they considered to be the most reliable battle weapons built? Especially since they have been produced more than any other system.
Before anyone starts going nuts just think how many have been produced and how many countries use them or a variant of them. So that should say something about the reliability of the system. And no, I don't own either one now, even though I have in the past.
Like I have said before, it's a good thing that everybody doesn't like the same thing or there wouldn't be enough to go around.
And opinions are like a**holes, everybody has one. Even if we don't agree with it we should respect it. </div></div>
Yes the AK is a proven weapon but try getting even close to a 1 MOA group with it.

"But what happens in 10 years when LWRC and POF are no longer making rifles because of the political climate bans them and something breaks?"

We're all fucked.

"I just dont think that the piston gun is going to really catch on and people having multiples like a DI gun until there is an industry wide standard spec like a DI gun has."

Agreed on the standard spec point you made....but I really think piston units would catch on if the prices were a little lower... and in time they will be.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: howdydoodie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am looking at buying the LWRC M6A3 10.5" for use with a can, I have heard good things about them. I like the adjustable gas block. </div></div>

Whether gas or piston, cans make rifles run dirty. Really dirty!

Spend the money on the piston system if you want, but the advantages to the unsuppressed are far more convincing than to the suppressed crowd.

I just picked up a LMT piston rifle, my first piston. It's pretty nice. The Monolithic Rail Platform LMT uses is an advantage I think. You can also buy DI barrels and BCG's and run it DI if you like in the same receiver and obviously change barrels/caliber pretty damned easy. Just a thought...

*added* The LMT runs a one piece piston if that makes a difference to anyone.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Aries64</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ORD</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Powder Burns</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Doesn't matter, those are the best two. </div></div>

If not either of those options, also look at LMT. </div></div>
I like my <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">LWRC M6A2-S</span></span> in MRE (Multi-Regional Earthtone). The <span style="font-style: italic">"S"</span> stands for "<span style="font-style: italic">Stretch</span>". Unlike typical "midlength" uppers, the gas block on the M6A2-S is moved forward for a true midlength gas system. I don't know how much the longer gas system helps reduce the recoil pulse, but my M6A2-S doesn't shoot noticibly "harder" than my Bushmaster A2 16" Shorty (DI) did.

The M6A2-S isn't a regular "catalog" configuration from LWRC - it is manufactured by LWRC for a company called <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Expedition Exchange</span></span>. EE sells the M6A2-S in 14.7" barrel + pinned flash suppressor and 16.1" barrel with thread-on flash suppressor. Both barrel lengths are available in BLACK and MRE finish. The rail system appears more brownish than it looks in the photos. It is actually more like dark OD in person.

I also like the one-piece (monolithic) bolt carrier. No worries about a staked key <span style="font-style: italic">ever</span> coming loose. I just got my upper a couple of weeks ago, and haven't had a chance to go sight it in. Below are some photos of my M6A2-S Upper mounted on a Pre-Ban Bushmaster lower.

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">LWRC M6A2-S in MRE finish w/Magpul UBR in OD & Black, OD MIAD, Tango Down Rail Covers, & Larue LT-706 + KMW PodLoc:</span></span>
LWRCM6A2-SMREMagpulRS8x6.jpg

LWRCM6A2-SMREMagpulRA8x6.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Closeups of M6A2-S MRE gas block:</span></span>
LWRCM6A2-SMREGBRSRS8x6.jpg

LWRCM6A2-SMREGBRSLR8x6.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">M6A2-S Short-Stroke Piston System:</span></span>
LWRCM6A2-SRSGasPistonSystem2.jpg

LWRCM6A2-SPistonSystem.jpg

LWRCM6A2-SBCGPiston.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">LWRC Monolithic Bolt Carrier Group:</span></span>
LWRCM6A2-SBCG.jpg

LWRCM6A2-SBCGDA.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold">NOTE:</span> <span style="font-style: italic">While the photo above shows gas rings installed on the bolt, they are unnecessary on the LWRC Piston System. The bolt can be run with or without the rings.</span>

Keith </div></div>

That Sir is a <span style="font-size: 11pt"><span style="font-weight: bold">FINE</span></span> looking rifle. Really gorgeous.

Also, really excellent photography!

N

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Paduan Learner</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
That Sir is a <span style="font-size: 11pt"><span style="font-weight: bold">FINE</span></span> looking rifle. Really gorgeous.

Also, really excellent photography!

N </div></div>
Thank you, Paduan Learner. LWRCs' are extremely well-made and very reliable. They seem to function with any ammo you throw at them. I know John Lee (Expedition Exchange owner) fired more than 2,000 rounds through the piston rifle I played with without any cleaning or supplemental lubrication and hasn't had a single FTF or FTE. The damn things stay so clean its' hard to tell that they've even been fired.

As far as the photos are concerned, I can only take credit for the photos of the rifle and the close-ups of the gas block - the others were shot by the John (from whom I bought my M6A2-S Upper). Next time I'll try to remember to put a polarizer on my lens when I shoot in direct sunlight, as the colors are slightly washed-out. But thank you just the same.

Keith

I find the piston systems have some excellent potential and when run with a supressor the adavantages become even greater.

I would love to see the price go down more and I'm sure in time it will and I would really like to see a standardization to it but I dont know if that will happen. LWRC + POF have a track record for reliabilty that almost anyone would envy. I'm not sure how a single unit would become the standard. So many of them are out there and I can forsee a company dropping their model and paying royalties.... to use someone elses design if they do not see a problem with their design.

I really like what M24kinnamon_4c said about when/if a gun ban take takes effect. At that point it will most likely become academic. Besides that it you could have a DI upper also if it was a big enough concern.

I want a piston upper for my rifle but until the price comes down a little more I can't afford to do it yet. That and I want to let the market do it's thing and may the best product dominate the market place. I don't believe that the piston will ever totally replace all DI systems. DI has been around in the AR-15/M-16 rifles for decades and while it does have it's problems with mantainance it keeps on working (and parts are standardized).

Maybe I've just bought in to the piston crown too much?
JMC

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Outsydlooknin75</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: M24kinnamon_4c</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tell me when your DI ran 2k rounds with minimal lubricant and no issues... The piston systems make sense... just buy quality and not crap. </div></div>

So tell me when the company is out of business and something breaks, what are you going to do ? </div></div>

You think LWRC, POF, LMT, Adams Arms, and the several other companies that makes gas piston kits or weapons are going to go out of business before lets say Rock River or Sabre Defence? Please..... they are still around for a reason. Their technology is proven and running strong.

I would LOVE to see you rattle off a few mags and then hold your carrier in your hand with a DI gun. Gas Pistons run cleaner and cooler which results into a longer lasting weapon. Why continue buying small parts and barrels when you can buy once and cry once on a GP system that barely needs maintenance? Seems like the answer is clear, Gas Piston is the only way to go for the changing times.

If your not down with GP systems rifles then go for an adjustable gas upper. Like the Noveske Switchblock equipped uppers. I just came off an HK416 upper back to a Noveske 10.5 w/ switchblock. Liking it more and more as I use it. Clean up is a little more involved than I like but it runs better and the noise is cut back down when suppressed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I find the piston systems have some excellent potential and when run with a supressor the adavantages become even greater.

I would love to see the price go down more and I'm sure in time it will and I would really like to see a standardization to it but I dont know if that will happen. LWRC + POF have a track record for reliabilty that almost anyone would envy. I'm not sure how a single unit would become the standard. So many of them are out there and I can forsee a company dropping their model and paying royalties.... to use someone elses design if they do not see a problem with their design.

I really like what M24kinnamon_4c said about when/if a gun ban take takes effect. At that point it will most likely become academic. Besides that it you could have a DI upper also if it was a big enough concern.

I want a piston upper for my rifle but until the price comes down a little more I can't afford to do it yet. That and I want to let the market do it's thing and may the best product dominate the market place. I don't believe that the piston will ever totally replace all DI systems. DI has been around in the AR-15/M-16 rifles for decades and while it does have it's problems with mantainance it keeps on working (and parts are standardized).

JMC </div></div>

Have you run a piston upper with a can?

ARs with cans run dirty as hell, piston or no piston.

I personally own a LWRC M6A3 and could not be happier. The accuracy is there, along with the quality, the reliability, and the customer service to back it up. I've put thousands of rounds downrange and have had maybe 2 or 3 issues that I can recall. All were due to the included PMAG. I use the HK mags now and have had 0 issues since. And I use any ammo I can get my grubby hands on. IMHO the piston system does make a difference. The carrier group runs cooler, there are less parts in the bolt for breaking, and there is less carbon fouling in the bolt parts and BCG. If the HK MR223 weren't coming out this summer, I would without hesitation give my money to LWRC again.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rancid Coolaid</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I find the piston systems have some excellent potential and when run with a supressor the adavantages become even greater.

JMC </div></div>

ARs with cans run dirty as hell, piston or no piston. </div></div>

No I have not, at least not yet. I've got 2 DI AR-15's and a DPMS LR-308 that I would like to eventually put a can on when I can afford it and finish up some other projects. I'm looking at getting a 30 cal can when I do it for all of them and a 260/6.5 cal that I want to finish first. Will that be a little cleaner on the AR-15 than a strait up .223 can? (I know it will be dirty but just wondering).

JMC

Here you go

Mike Pannone Tests BCM upper

If you are thinking of any POF or LWRC piston rifle, send Felex an email at www.avguns.com or give him a call. He has years of experience with both systems.

Pistons generally are not good ideas with the M16FOW upper architecture.
Piston guns like bolt carrier rails to prevent carrier tilt, and the DI method despite heating the bolt with gases, the gases pressurize the bolt against the barrel extenstion while piston guns make the bolt point into the rear of the barrel extension.

From my experience Hk has the best piston upper, but are extremely rare and are hugely expensive outside of government.

I still don't believe a piston gun solves anything that a properly designed DI gun won't do.

I was looking at getting a POF 6.8 SPC upper for my POF 415. The price is $1475.00 for the 6.8 SPC ( the 5.56 is $1375.00). Also, I have a Robinson XCR in 5.56, so I got the 6.8 SPC barrel conversion kit for $549.00. The two bad things about Robinson XCRs is that they are not every where like the ARs and they need to be broken in. However, they are built like tanks and you can switch barrels and bolts out to change the ammo you want to shoot. You can go from 5.56 to 7.62x39 to 6.8 SPC and they use all the same accessories that ARs use.

So, when looking at value the Robinson XCR sells for $1500 for a new rifle and a POF upper (5.56) sells for $1375.00. A new POF 415, that is comparable to a XCR, sells for $1975.00. For just a little more money you could have a new Robinson XCR and a conversion kit for $2049.00. JMO

Jamie

Thanks to the OP and everyone that contributed to this thread.

I've been kicking around the idea of changing over to an OPS-416 kit.
(Especially since I got my can!)
Running suppressed, my brass gets so dirty I have a hard time finding my brass on the ground.
Never had any malfunctions to speak of though.
Just a huge PITA to clean up.

After reading through this thread and some of the articles linked to it, I'm convinced that I should hold off on the piston.
I'm also very happy that I run the LMT Enhanced Bolt & Bolt Carrier with the H2 buffer now too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rancid Coolaid</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I find the piston systems have some excellent potential and when run with a supressor the adavantages become even greater.

JMC </div></div>

ARs with cans run dirty as hell, piston or no piston. </div></div>

I have. You're right. Piston or not, it's DIRTY. LWRC M6A2 with an AAC M4-1000. Actually two, but only one gets the can.

Routinely I put several hundred through it in between cleaning it (4-600). Brother, it will get gritty bad ass filthy and run like a crackhouse on fire. I have not ran it until stoppage, but have done so with a DI gun.

I chose LWRC partly because they have the most parts-in-common with the DI AR. Same bolt, bolt parts, etc. The carrier is different, but it's a block of metal that will last a dozen lifetimes.

Respectfully, those that hold out that the direct impingement system is the past, present, and forever of small arms aren't considering history. It's an evolutionary process, and advances in technology are both inevitable and welcome.

Consider that the same arguments were made against polymer frame pistols but they are obviously a revolutionary success.

It is telling that there aren't any new rifle platforms being designed with direct impingement technology. It will be around for quite some time but the process for eclipsing it began long ago.

The piston gun cleans up in far less than half the time of my DI guns when more than twice as dirty with ZERO carbon scraping of any surface whatsoever. To me, that is a vast improvement and makes tremendous sense. I own and enjoy shooting both. I haven't found anything that my DI guns can do better than my piston ones.

--Fargo007

i have 2 of the adams arms kits new in the box, carbine length i will do for 325.00 each shipped usps... i have already built two uppers and have these spare, got a good deal on them my self and will pass it on...

can take pics but the are new production as of feb 2010

If I had the funds to get a LWRC or a POF I'd be all over it, instead I just got an Adams Arms kit for my m4gery and it works fine just fine, And if little green martians attack tomorrow and my piston system brakes I can just put the old parts back on, seeing how I didnt have to do any major modifications to rifle to install it. Just my 2cents