• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

best place to buy factory ammo these days? maybe family run?

rockwind1

Minuteman
Feb 16, 2017
westworld
i've tried ammseek but the top three "affordable choices" seem to jack up the shipping, one place wanted 120$ vs 50 or 60$ at the others. plus i had never heard of any of them. 2 of them had the exact same website format which made my paranoia crank up. i was thinking of using a smaller shop but they are so hard to find. might as well support a new business if possible. just getting a full case or 1/2 a case of hornady varmint express 6.5cm so it's not like a big order or anything

can anyone recommend a smaller store that may need business with the holidays coming up? maybe a long time member on here who has opened a new store? online or brick and mortar, doesn't matter.

went to the "resources" tab on here to look for forum sponsers but nothing is jumping out

The family owned place I and many others have used for decades is now charging way too much for 5.56 nato and most other cartridges, so I won't name them. I get their emails almost daily with the words "sale" and "savings" in the title- but their prices are gouging.

I’ve tried my luck with a wide variety of the sketchy online dropshippers beloved by ammoseek (and sister site Gun.Deals). Amazingly I haven’t gotten burned yet, but I only stick to sites with a physical address and a phone number. Lots of low price/high shipping games to come up at the top of the list.

Of all said sketchy drop shippers, I’ve had the best luck with Locked Loaded in the past - they’re some small gun store in IL that drop ships below MAP. It shows up when it shows up, but man it’s always shown up from them (for me in the past, YMMV).

Reactions: Ichi and rockwind1
what's up with all the shippers wanting to add insurance for extra $. i was always under the impression, if i buy from a business, i expect them to make sure stuff arrives. weird. seems like a new trend.

what's up with all the shippers wanting to add insurance for extra $. i was always under the impression, if i buy from a business, i expect them to make sure stuff arrives. weird. seems like a new trend.
i would probably guess that significantly increasing theft has resulted in increased insurance costs?

It shows shipping cost index on the side. Pick a good price with a high rating in shipping.

I’ve tried my luck with a wide variety of the sketchy online dropshippers beloved by ammoseek (and sister site Gun.Deals). Amazingly I haven’t gotten burned yet, but I only stick to sites with a physical address and a phone number. Lots of low price/high shipping games to come up at the top of the list.

Of all said sketchy drop shippers, I’ve had the best luck with Locked Loaded in the past - they’re some small gun store in IL that drop ships below MAP. It shows up when it shows up, but man it’s always shown up from them (for me in the past, YMMV).
just placed an order with Beebe family arms,,, yikes! reddit review claims they are legit,, i guess we will see

ahhh crap,, i just saw they were supposedly in layton ut, everytime i use my credit card in utah, it gets hacked like a week later.

Last edited:
SG Ammo is always good I buy a lot from them, have been getting some IMI 77 gr 556 from Green Country Ammo decent price for 500 case and shipping is decent too, I think they are a drop ship operation? I've got a few cases from them and everything went off without a hitch. Outdoor Limited is OK. Champs is where I get most of my 22 ammo.

I have bought from De Leon’s pharmacy that I found on ammoseek. One of the only places that had eley in stock during covid. They had an issue with a small order I placed and he sent me the ammo but refunded the order. It was a self caught issue, I didn’t even have time to make a complaint. His prices on 6 arc make it worthwhile for me to buy and ship versus picking up locally.

just placed an order with Beebe family arms,,, yikes! reddit review claims they are legit,, i guess we will see

ahhh crap,, i just saw they were supposedly in layton ut, everytime i use my credit card in utah, it gets hacked like a week later.
I have ordered multiple times from Beebe Family Arms and no issues so far.

Reactions: rockwind1

Never heard of them. Now I have a decent place that I can pick up from locally. Layton is next town to me.

Targetsportsusa

Sgammo

Sometimes sportsman’s warehouse surprisingly

Reactions: Bcamos
I would pick a local place, make an online order and then demand an in person pickup but refuse to give them your real name or any contact info. Then come here to bitch when they won’t work with you.

But also, SG or Beebe.

I ordered 9mm HST for a lower price than anywhere else I could find with free shipping from recoil gunworks a few weeks ago. I got it in less than a week. I've also had good experience with SGammo, TargetsportsUSA, and bone frog gun club...when they have what I need in stock, of course.

Reactions: rockwind1
Ammoseek is where I start. But a few shops like Locked and Loaded are not listed there.

A few shops still don’t charge sales tax, so that’s something to consider as well. I usually grab the price, shipping and tax and enter that into a spreadsheet to track who has the best price. Depressing to look back at the prices paid in 18, 19 and 20 to see how much it has increased.

At one time you could apply an Active Junky discount to ammo purchases with Cabela’s and other stores. But I think that is no longer the norm.

I found what I thought was a decent deal on some Hornady AG 6.5. But even after a week, the order has not shipped.

Ammoseek is where I start. But a few shops like Locked and Loaded are not listed there.

A few shops still don’t charge sales tax, so that’s something to consider as well. I usually grab the price, shipping and tax and enter that into a spreadsheet to track who has the best price. Depressing to look back at the prices paid in 18, 19 and 20 to see how much it has increased.

At one time you could apply an Active Junky discount to ammo purchases with Cabela’s and other stores. But I think that is no longer the norm.

I found what I thought was a decent deal on some Hornady AG 6.5. But even after a week, the order has not shipped.
i have also noticed that some places charge sales tax and some don't. I live in a place where we don't have state income tax but the sales tax, property tax, and insurance rates are insanely high so no state income tax is not all that great. our sales tax is about 9%.
but i placed an order, hoping it ships relatively soon.

Reactions: themightytimmah