• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best place to buy new hunting rifle

hydro556

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 1, 2007
STL, home of the Cardinals.
It has been a long while since I bought a factory new rifle. I am looking for a quality hunting rig in 308 but dont want to go the custom route.

Thinking maybe a new Remington hunting rifle or possibly even an LTR. Also considering a Kimber. Who has the best prices? thanks

Re: Best place to buy new hunting rifle

i would wander over to 24hrcampfire and look through the classifieds. I will never again buy a new rifle. Just isn't worth it.

I would really recommend the Tikka T3 lite or hunter. Lite, if you want the composite stock, hunter if you want the wood stock. Great shooters for the price. Savage makes great hunting rifles for good prices. As for where the best price is... I always look at Gallery of guns.com. I hope this helps.

Local gun shops, keeps the little man in business. Online sells don't know what you are getting.

I may have found one. A buddy has a new Sako Model 85 classic in 30/06. These sell for about $2k. I can get it damn cheap, it has a freaking beautiful piece of wood.

I will just have to start loading a new caliber but the price is so good, I think I will.

Any opinions on this model.

can't go wrong with a Sako...and the 30/06 is a lot better that people give it credit for.

If I was not going to get a LTR/XCR compact and wanted something lighter if money was an object I'd probably go for the Tikka T3 or Sako A7. However the sako finnlight .308 is a sweet rig.

Walmart I think I paid $395.00 with scope for a 7mm rem mag. It was an adl with camo stock 700 action. Or dicks they have .308 22-250 0r 223 varmint adl camo stock with scope 450 after mail in rebate. Just in case there is a question about second hand rifles from walmart I sent mine in to GA precision to have a barrel and action trued. Never got a call and said it was junk. Got a call and they wanted to know what color so I guess its close to being done. Ill see when I get the bill if the charged extra

I am digging the stock on my buddy's Model 85 Classic. Beautiful piece of wood.

I am picking it up tomorrow, with a box of shells, to try it out. If I like it as well after shooting it, I am jumping on the deal. Then I just need to find a quality, lightweight hunting optic for it. Have to start researching those now. Going to look at some of the Swaro's. Never owned one and would like to try one out.

Definitely get the Sako 85. I love the '06. Great round for deer, bear and elk. Love it. You won't be disappointed!

I have recently bought a Marlin XL7, it is a nice little rifle for $300, but I would not say it is amazingly accurate. It is good enough for the job to get done though. I got it for my brother who wants to start hunting with me, so this 30-06 should do the job.

After all, I did not want him to use one of mine, so I got him his own.

Gawd, what a question. I guess the first step is to find out what you prefer brand-wise. In modern times, you have so many great factory choices. It just depends what is important to you. If you believe in standardizing on a system that everyone knows how to work on and you will always be able to get parts for.....then Remington 700 rifle is the clear choice. But, you certainly have so many choices. I'd just go to Walmart and get the Remington 700 model of your choice. Then, you can improve it with the vast selection of after-market parts as you desire.

I got the Sako Classic today. Havent shot it yet, but fit and finish, and operationally, I am a bit surprised.

I am very impressed. I have bought nothing but customs for the last 2 years, and loved them.

But.

This action is the slickest I have ever owned. Not that it matters that much, but is is amazing. slick as glass on butter, with ZERO side to side or up and down wobble. Amazing. The side bolt release is nice too. Round feed is positive as possible. Trigger is nice, but a bit heavy. Havent adjusted it though. Supposedly goes down to 2 lbs, which is probably a bit lighter than I want for a hunting rifle. Overall, initial impression is about as high as I can say I have had for any rifle I have owned. I am glad I decided to try a high end factory rig instead of another custom. I love customs, no doubt, but I dig this Sako. A LOT. Cant wait to see how it shoots.

Also, the wood is beautiful. I have seen some nicer, but this is the nicest I have had. I will get pictures tomorrow.

cabelas has some good sales right now on Rem700s.

If you want to go cheap to get started, they have ADL's with synthetic stock for $459

SakoClassic003.jpg

Got this, but it is too fucking nice to shoot. How am I supposed to bang around up in trees with this? LOL

It is beautiful

I think I am going to trade down to a Rem 5R in 308 with decent glass and use the extra money for reloading components.

I need to get something I can bang around without worrying about messing up a stock this pretty. Plus, this thing is way light, I want a little heavier barrel. but, damn, the stock is pretty.

SakoClassic002.jpg

Damn!!!!

If I were in the position to get that we'd have to talk. If that rifle shoots half as good as it looks you'd be well served to snatch it. There is much to be said for a dedicated hunting rig that won't get you the fish eye in an old boys hunting camp. A lighter tube in a dedicated hunting rig is a good thing, why hump the weight for one shot?

Don't worry about screwing up the stock, that wood is harder than you give it credit for and every scratch has a story to tell 25 years later.

Cheers,

Doc

Doc, I already bought it, it is mine. But one trip to the range to verify the B&C reticle was lined up was all I needed to know I dont want to be dragging this thing up and down trees. My first thought was get a Manners or McMillan, LOL. What is the point in that.

I would like to find a customised LTR or similar and beat the shit out of it instead.

SakoClassic005.jpg

SakoClassic004.jpg

Sorry, but I dont care if I get bashed. It just isnt in me to bang this stock up. All I need is a nice 1 moa rifle. This is for someone who hunts from a shoot house. Not a climber in a thicket.

This action is the best I have used. The slickest I have operated. The safety is awesome and the mag release is fool proof. You WONT accidentally drop it. I cant get over how slick this action is, and am surprised there arent a ton more builds based off it. Especially for dangerous game rifles.