• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best platform to start with?

SQUATCH

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 20, 2010
In a Cave
Since moving back to Iowa I actually will have some room to shoot bolt guns and hunt with them as well. Been with the AR platform for mid range since day one besides shooting other's rifles here and there. Just really wanting to know a solid platform (Rem, Savage, Howa, etc) to get started with and also that will allow me to grow from there as well such as easy upgrades, etc.

Re: Best platform to start with?

700 action. Stocks triggers and other upgrades are easy to come by. If the budget allows maybe a surgeons action. Custom build. How much would your budget be for a complete rig? This would include glass,bipod,ect.

Sorry, should have been more clear. This unit must be easily mobile (lightweight) and max shots of 500yds maybe a little further but I cannot see it happening often. Budget right away is anywhere from 1000-1500 initial but then of course overtime upgrade as needed. FYI that price doesn't include glass as I understand good glass is not cheap by any means.

Tikka T3 Hunter/Lite(I wouldnt bother with the Tactical, waste of money).

I got mine mid last year and whilst they're brilliantly popular here in Oz, nobody knows about them over the pacific apparantly. As of late i'm seeing more and more builds coming up, so the Yanks must finally be catching on!

They're made by Sako, the barrels are made on the same equipment as the TRG barrels, as is alot of the other stuff, and by the same staff. Comes standard with a fully adjustable trigger which i reckon is brilliant. Action is smooth as silk.

Only complaint is the DBM, which I've never had a problem with, but FEELS cheap. However, a Manners stock/mini-chassis will fix this up. Stock itself also feels a bit flimsy and cheap. But again, never heard of one breaking :p

Remmy 700 sps tactical. Spend then rest of your budget on good glass and ammo. Shoot it for awhile and decidde what you wanna change from there. My .02.

Remmy 700 sps tactical. Spend then rest of your budget on good glass and ammo. Shoot it for awhile and decidde what you wanna change from there. My .02.

Get a Rem 5R because I feel the action is smoother than the standard. Like any other 700 action there are tons and tons of accessories and upgrades you can do with the action alone.

Get a rem 700 to start. Later you can upgrade stock, bed, true action, trigger work, etc. It is the easiest platform to upgrade.

With that much budget you can but one of Remingtons high end 700, and shoot it for a long time.

I sides the benefits to both the 700 and the Tikka platforms.

Tikka - Amazing action, trigger, and accuracy out of the box. Perfect choice if youre gonna leave it unmolested for a long time.

M700 - Great choice if you want to make it your own and trick it out more and more down the road. Accuracy for the SPS varmint and tactical versions are great as well

Remington 700, Tika, Howa, Savage; Truth is that any of them will do well. Each has it's own advantages and disadvanges. Remingtons tend to have the best aftermarket support but the machine work is less then impressive. Tikas are the best factory rifles you will find in terms of fit and finish but the stock only fair. Howa make great shooters out of the box but aftermarket support is lacking. And Savages tend to shoot very well out of the box and are easy to work on but the actions feel horrible.

Were it me start with figuring out which stock/chassis I wanted to run. Once you do this figure out will help to narrow down the rifle choices.

rem700 would honestly be about the last place i'd start, considering how much better models are out there

tikka t3
howa 1500
any savage
stevens (savage)

if you think you're going to really be in it...then you could also go with a custom action in a rem 700 foot print

am I the only winchester fan?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: IowaNoMoreSocal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Since moving back to Iowa I actually will have some room to shoot bolt guns and hunt with them as well. Been with the AR platform for mid range since day one besides shooting other's rifles here and there. Just really wanting to know a solid platform (Rem, Savage, Howa, etc) to get started with and also that will allow me to grow from there as well such as easy upgrades, etc. </div></div>

I have been running a series on YouTube and on my site in an attempt to help shooters with this question.

http://www.8541tactical.com/budget%20precision%20article.php

The Remington 700 AAC-SD is not the only choice, but it is a good one, with room to grow.

I started with a remington SPS in a 308. Great canvas for your custom. With everything including the original cost of the rifle i have in the neighborhood of about 2600.00

Lazy21 you aren't the only Winchester fan around. I like Winchesters, in fact mine is sitting in the shop in line for a rebuild.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: IowaNoMoreSocal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Since moving back to Iowa I actually will have some room to shoot bolt guns and hunt with them as well. Been with the AR platform for mid range since day one besides shooting other's rifles here and there. Just really wanting to know a solid platform (Rem, Savage, Howa, etc) to get started with and also that will allow me to grow from there as well such as easy upgrades, etc. </div></div>

I have been running a series on YouTube and on my site in an attempt to help shooters with this question.

http://www.8541tactical.com/budget%20precision%20article.php

The Remington 700 AAC-SD is not the only choice, but it is a good one, with room to grow. </div></div>

The videos were very helpful. Thank you for all of the useful information
smile.gif

Ryan