• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

best powder and primers starting out with 223 and 308?

jLorenzo

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 20, 2017
Im getting a Hornady classic press, .308 dies, powder thrower, 100 nosler cc 175s, few other odds and ends for 200$ today.
Got 1 lb. Of Varget
100 75gr bthps
200 br2
200 br4
2 die bushings
223 full length 2 die hornady set.
Loading for my .223 wylde SPR and .308 bolt gun.
Did I do ok with powder and primers?
Also have nice scale and some calipers.
Anuthing else I need to start bare bones reloading?

Using lake city for 223 and federal brass from GMM for .308

I'm trying out the Federal Gold Medal AR small rifle primers, they should be consistent and hard enough to deal with floating firing pins.

CCI military style primers are also hard enough but typically more expensive.

I know there is one type of small rifle primer that is too soft for floating firing pins, I don't recall what it is.

The cost difference between the cheapest there is and the Federal Gold Medal AR is only a few bucks so in my mind it makes sense to standardize on nice primers so you're not stocking a bunch of different flavors. The BR primers are nice I'm sure but I think I'm going to go with Federal Gold Medal Match large rifle primers and the Gold Medal AR small rifle primers.

Reactions: jLorenzo
I just went off what they said was most popular on accurateshooter website.

Get some xbr for the 223. Cleaner and more consistent for accuracy. I prefer wolf primers for this, but good luck finding them now.

I just went off what they said was most popular on accurateshooter website.
You made good choices. Keeping different varieties of components on hand for different cartridges is a non-issue if you keep a good reloading notebook and record what you're doing.

Xbr is great for the 223 and lighter 308 pills as well. Varget is a must though....it's just a solid multi caliber powder
Primers ...CCI seem very consistent and readily available

Varget is pretty simple to do for both. Used for first time loading and OCW was right on point with "normal" nodes. Shit just works. Just keep 8lbs hanging around. It will get used.

Thanks guys. Will varget work with 155 gr pills in the .308?

Thanks guys. Will varget work with 155 gr pills in the .308?
Yes. Please go here: http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/ and familiarize yourself with what Varget's maker says.

If it's in a reloading manual, particularly the one published by the powder or bullet maker, you can be pretty sure it's a safe combination as long as you follow the recipe and proper reloading practices.

A Hornady case gauge to determine shoulder setback would be key to maintaining brass life and reliable fit to chamber of sized rounds. .002 shoulder setback seems to work well for me in both semi and bolt guns. Varget good in either, 8208 with 75’s in 223, 155’s in 308.

I like xbr for my223s and imr 4064 for my 308s In gas gun and bolt guns with 168 gr smks. I also set shoulders back for both at .002. I full length resize these days as really have never seen any accuracy increase and reliability is more important than any extended case life