• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best powder measure?? quick measure? or weigh each

Mag 300

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Dec 31, 2006
    Downers Grove Illinois
    what is the best powder measurement tool out there
    I have heard of quick measure and want to know if there worth the $300 inveastment or am ter off just weighing each load on the acculab 123??
    Thanks Bill

Re: Best powder measure?? quick measure? or weigh each

Describe "better off"

Yes, the Acculab is more accurate, but very time consuming compared to simply throwing a charge. Many guys throw with an accurate thrower just under and then trickle with the acculab which is faster.

For most my loads within .1 grain is accurate enough, I use a Chargemaster (actually 2 of them) and get good speed and close enough accuracy for me.

Sinclair carries the RFD which is supposed to be a very accurate thrower, the Harrels are great too but mine didn't impress me enough to keep it. I used the money to buy my second CM.

I will look at the sinclair rfd I also had a Harrels but the static issue and the powders like rl 22 did not go as accurate as they said. so sold it
    The quickmeasure is good for within .4 yes .4
    So looking at gong back to the rcbs neandrathal thrower and trickling each one ??
    Bill

Bought a Quick Measure, immediately sent it back for repair. Got it back, returned it the next day. Did not work as advertised and when there was an error, it was HUGE. Errors were in the order of +/-0.4 to 0.6 gr.

ChargeMaster 1500 is the way to go. My only regret was not buying it sooner.

RCBS CM 1500 and Acculab 123, and you're set. Throw charges on the CM (.1 to .2 under desired weight), then transfer pan to 123 to trickle. Have second pan on CM while trickling on the 123. Pour charge in case and seat bullet, and transfer pans to each scale to repeat. Charges are accurate to within .02 grains and I can seat a bullet every 25-30 seconds. I've played with multiple set-ups, and this is the fastest I've found.

anything short of maximum effort ammo, i throw charges directly from the powder measure (Redding Match Grade)and weigh every tenth charge on my Dillon D-Terminator

for my top shelf ammo, i use the Chargemaster and reject any that show over/under.

When dialing in a load, there is no substitute for a beam scale -- repeatable 0.05gr accuracy

After you have found the load, and determined how wide the ChargeWeight tollerance is, then you are almost in a throw and go situation -- +/- 0.25gr accuracy.