• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

best powder?

rmcc

Private
Minuteman
Dec 6, 2008
IA
What is generally the best "starter" powder for 168 MK?

Am using FGM brass
FGM primer

Thanks,
Rich

Re: best powder?

no such thing as "best", you have to find what your individual gun likes. .

Try Varget or Reloader 15....

What does Varget compare to in burn rate?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Victor N TN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You forgot IMR 4895 </div></div>

My thoughts exactly. I run it in my 308 w/168's about 2725 and they do everything I ask them to. I also use it in my other rifles (556 and 7-08). Not as temp sensitive as people seem to think, and its usually pretty consistent lot to lot.

I guess I don't get the fast burning powder and slow burning powder difference. let's compair a .223 to a .300 weatherby mag. Which do I want for the differenct calibers, or is it for velocity??

Typically you'd want a faster powder for smaller, lighter bullets (such as .223) and slower powders for the larger, heavier bullets (magnums).

This "rule" (for lack of a better word) is broken often, though. Such things as barrel length and intended application can change things.

Here's an example of a "rule breaker". Varget in the .223 just plain sucks with 55gr bullets. It works, but not well. There are several powders that get the job done more effectively and more efficiently in that combination. It just burns too slow for that light bullet. However if you want to shoot a 77gr bullet, Varget is a great powder. For whatever reason, when using the heavier bullet the slower powder is able to get the velocity up to where the faster powders can't when using a 77gr bullet.

Hope I haven't confused you even further.

I've not yet chronoed any load in an AR with 55s that have higher velocity than Varget at SAAMI pressures.

I like the IMR 4064 for my 168 grains. The "best" powder for your stick is one that produces the smallest group at an optimal velocity. Bottom line is you have to try them out to figure out which is the best for your stick. Any of the above recommendation is always GTG.