• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Best Practices

Bro Mo

Open-minded Skeptic
Minuteman
Mar 27, 2018
Milwaukee, WI
I have a few questions about the reassembly of my savage rifle:

1. Savage factory recoil lug ok to use or is replacing it a good idea?
2. Is skim bedding a B&C stock a good idea?
3. What are too low and too high of torque specs for action screws and optics components screws?
4. Thread lock (any kind) or dry?

quality recoil lug and barrel nut are always a good idea.
Skim bedding is a good idea, but shoot first and then decide.
depends on whether you are running a blind mag or dbm.
scope ring torque on the scope is usually 15 to 20 lb-ins (very light)
ring to base is usually about 60 lb-ins
stocks with pillars or bedding blocks are usually around 60-65 lb-ins

When applying torque, do so incrementally so each side pulls in.

I have a few questions about the reassembly of my savage rifle:

1. Savage factory recoil lug ok to use or is replacing it a good idea?
2. Is skim bedding a B&C stock a good idea?
3. What are too low and too high of torque specs for action screws and optics components screws?
4. Thread lock (any kind) or dry?

1) the factory recoil lug is honestly probably fine.....but a lot of people like to swap them out with precision ground and thicker lugs.....and that certainly wont hurt....and they are only $20

2) bedding any stock is usually a good idea.

3) follow manf. recommendations, but for action screws, im usually around 50-60 in-lbs.....and for optics, im usually around 18-20 in-lbs

4) almost always use blue thread lock when installing scope bases and scope ring screws......i never use loctite on action screws.

and i typically avoid red loctite........if blue doesnt hold it, red likely wont make it any better.

Also makes "cents" to replace the nut with a precision one (or true the factory one on a lathe) to assure the mating surface against the lug is perpendicular to the threads.

Google Savage action tuning. There is a good article on it Rear may be as low as 10, front is usually higher.

Bed if it needs it.
I replace the recoil lug.
No loctite on optics parts. Using it acts as lubricant and the compression on the parts is higher in relation to the torque value. If you do, you have to use less torque. A good mount, properly torqued should not fail.

I replace the recoil lug and nut on savages, they're pretty cheap through northland shooter's supply and it's peace of mind.

I shoot them first before I bed, sometimes they surprise you and I don't feel I'd gain anything by bedding. Most I end up bedding but not all.

I use blue loctite on the rail to receiver screws. I don't loctite scope ring screws or action screws.

Reactions: hereinaz