• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Best products for making action smooth

6mm build

Private
Minuteman
Dec 28, 2017
Can I get some ideas on what products work the best for making an action smooth like glass

+1 for Tetra Gun grease. I clean my bolts and then slather them up with Tetra grease. Let sit while I clean everything else. Wipe off the excess, then put a light coat of CLP on the bolt, and dab of Tetra on the lugs. Makes a huge difference

I like these.... takes a bit of repeated application but after 5 or 10k you should be good. :)

20160215_161733_grande.jpg

I like these.... takes a bit of repeated application but after 5 or 10k you should be good. :)

Sheldon has the best answer on the internet today.

If you want it to be as smooth as it can be, you should start using it. After 5-10,000 repetitions, either IT will have broken in and gotten smooth, or YOU will have been broken in and won't care. Maybe both.

Either way, it's a good solution.

DA revolver triggers are another good example.

-Nate

Reactions: lash
I just shoot the local matches. The wind-blown dust/sand fills the action and when nice and gritty with "Tactical Polish™" I add a little more loob and run the the bolt back and forth while I watch a good movie.

But ya, dry firing with lube and/or shooting it will get the job done. If it's a decent action you want to keep around, and it runs smooth after all the high spots are knocked off, then you may consider sending it out to DLC or Nitride. Afterward, t'll run even slicker, but for a price...

Anyone use Corrosion X and have thoughts on it? I just went to a class and one of the instructors praised the stuff. He said it helps slick the bolt and makes action feel smooth.

Corrosion-X stinks, prevents rust real well; never tried to use it for bolt lube. Living in the desert excess oil on the bolt/action it collects dust and sand. I use all lube sparingly, except where it's critical.

My personal favorite is the Mil-com TW25b. IT seems to make a diference in smoothness over any of the other greases or oils I have used.

I can second this. The TW25 grease has a nice viscosity and is perfect for staying in place on the back of the bolt lugs and the extraction cam surface.

Corrosion-X stinks, prevents rust real well; never tried to use it for bolt lube. Living in the desert excess oil on the bolt/action it collects dust and sand. I use all lube sparingly, except where it's critical.
Thanks for the heads up mcfred.

For the Savages, I brush some valve grinding (and/or lapping, depending on one's courage) compound onto/into the bolt lug races and locking recesses, then work the bolt pretty constantly to its full extent while watching a Movie on TV. If in doubt, start with the Lapping Compound, clean it up, lube it and try it.

No dry firing, it's not necessary for this procedure.

When the Movie's over, I flush/patch out the action and chamber/bore thoroughly with Gun Scrubber, then lube up with Tetra Grease or TW25 grease.

Greg