• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Best QD base for a precision bolt rifle?

Casamike

Private
Minuteman
Jun 22, 2017
Indiana
My first precision rifle is finally complete and my scope has arrived, so the very last thing to do is to find a base and mount it up. I have been shooting this rifle of a few months with a loaner scope from a friend. This friend uses ADM mounts and hasn't ever had issues with them. However... the general consensus here is that ADM mounts are not awesome and can/will cause issues with tracking and return to zero. I intend to use this rifle for long range (out to a mile max) and possibly some PRS matches. I would like a QD mount, as I may on rare occasion swap this scope to another rifle for temporary use. I need something with 30mm rings and would like 20moa of elevation in the base. So.... what are the appropriate scope mount choices for a precision rifle?

QD has no place on a precision rifle. It causes issues with holding zero and they don't work well, ever. If 'temporarily swapping to another rifle' you will need to rezero anyway. There's nothing "quick" about quick detach on a precision gun.

You can remove a scope mounted in a quality set of rings, or a one piece mount, and be about as close to returning to zero as you would ever get with 'QD' anyway. So just do that and skip the bullshit that comes with 'qd' anything.

Quality rings/mount from Nightforce, Badger Ordnance, Seekins, SPUHR, etc.

Perhaps in my haste I said QD when I should have said 1 piece. Which 1 piece mount is most popular, proven quality or best value?

Perhaps in my haste I said QD when I should have said 1 piece. Which 1 piece mount is most popular, proven quality or best value?

i cant recommend badger enough. but any of the big names make quality pieces. Spuhr, nightforce, seekins, etc. you really cant go wrong with any of those.

Those terms may be mutually exclusive from one another. ;)
Define your usage first - no one gripes about Spuhr mounts, but $$, moreso if not going to use the ability to mount something else to the Spuhr (e.g. angle indicator, RMR, ..).

I'm not entirely sure if you're looking for the base the mount attaches to, or a mount itself(or rings?) at this point.
Have used badger, NF, Seekins w/out issues. For mounts, I'd also consider Spuhr, Aadmount, Geisselle, and perhaps a couple of others. Have heard good things RE: Era-Tac but no experience or even seeing one in person to date.