• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best *QUALITY* 22lr pistol for suppression?

Alderleet

NCOIC of Shitposts
Minuteman
Feb 12, 2010
Downrange
Howdy folks. I'm at a bit of a impasse. I'm planning on replacing my GSG-1911 very soon. I've worn the slide and started peening the frame a bit (25K rounds +)

Anyway, I'm looking to replace it with something that will last *FOREVER* shooting suppressed.

When I say forever, I mean the gun is made from quality materials, not some "super alloy" (cough... pot metal.../cough).

So i've decided to come ask yall which pistol is the best to run suppressed, and will last.

I'm trying to decide between a buckmark and a Ruger Mark ___ (fill in the blank)

But I'm open to other ideas.

(if you recommend a walther P22, get out)

Last edited:
Re: Best *QUALITY* 22lr pistol for suppression?

Ruger.
M-41 with CCI Standards.
I love my CZ Kadet.
Dedicated AA Glock/.22.
The S&W 422.
Why not a steel 1911 frame and AA Marvel?

That's such a Ford vs. Chevy question. Neither is really better than the other.

They will both last forever, but which one "feels" better to you? Head into the local gun shop and handle both. Whichever feels better in "your" hand is the one that you should buy. Personally I have had both non-suppressed and still have the Buckmark. The grip angle of the MKI just didn't feel right, so I found it a new home in a Ruger lovers safe.

Have a Ruger mark II goverment that has the barrel cut to 2.5" with a YHM suppressor. Works great, I love it. As any suppressed gun it does need cleaned much more offten than not. does start to malfunction every couple hundered rnds.

I wouldnt trade my Beretta mod 70 they don't get any better

The ruger mk any series are the go to last forever 22 pistol. I knew a guy that taught a pistol class that used both rugers and buck marks. He said that the bucks were of and ran fine when clean, and that the rugers ran longer and were a better made gun. I agree with that, in fact I just bought a mkiii hunter tonight. So I'm a bit biased.

Don't let anyone tell you they are hard to disassemble for cleaning. After three times doing it tonight I have the act down.

I also have a Ruger MKIII hunter. Probably the most accrate gun I own. I've got close to 1K rounds through it since my last cleaning and still running 100% and just as accurate.
Honestly I do find it a pain in the ass to take apart. Its not hard and yes after few times you will get it. Part of the problem is it is not intuitive at all and you have to rarely clean the thing so when you do you kinda forget how and start all over. If you really hate doing it for $20 or so they sell a replacement part that significantly eases breakdown.
And if your worried about the grip angle check out the ruge 22/45 as well

The best? Ok...imo.

Forget about Ruger III's and Buckmarks, the Ruger is fair only and the new chamber sucks for suppression, the Buckmark isn't close to what it used to be.

The best .22 auto made aside from full rig competition models (Pardini, Walther, Hammerli...some of which can be suppressed) is the Beretta Model 87 Cheetah Semi-Auto Pistol 87B210, 22 LR, 3.8", Wood Grip, Black Matte Finish, 7 Rd. It is a magnificently made pistol and the perfect platform for suppression. Makes the model 70 look like it was fashion with a band saw and file. They are expensive and stand head and shoulders above everything mentioned above. You asked...the best. Get a can worthy of the pistol.

Smith & Wesson model 41. There's not a finer pistol period.

phonepics035.jpg

I like this one

I have a ruger Mark III with a Tac-Sol threaded upper on it and I love it. I have a silencerco sparrow on it. I've had it for almost a year now and I've put 16,000 rounds plus down the pipe. It is incredibly reliable and I have shot 1,000 rounds through it (suppressed) without cleaning and it still runs great. Tipping point seems to be the 1100 round count, but that is a solid day of shooting.

I've also shot the buckmark and the Beretta Model 87 and they are both great guns. I just dont have the trigger time behind them to give as in depth of analysis as the ruger tac-sol combo.

I was looking at this too, the ruger and/or buckmark are gona cost the host plus ~300 for the upper where the sig mosquito TB is $435 and ready for a can. Just not sure if it falls into your pot metal categories.

Why would you pay for an upper, on the either the browning or the ruger, just thread the barrel 100 bucks out the door. Mine was a slab side, smith chucked it up and had it done in about 30 minutes

Sig classic line is something else. The slide is aluminum, however if you get the conversion kit for +/- $400 you can have both a full size round and a .22 in the same weapon.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SingleShot85</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why would you pay for an upper, on the either the browning or the ruger, just thread the barrel 100 bucks out the door. Mine was a slab side, smith chucked it up and had it done in about 30 minutes </div></div>
Because the Pac-Lite upper and Trail-Lite barrels are lighter, more accurate and more reliable than stock.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 762frmafr</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SingleShot85</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why would you pay for an upper, on the either the browning or the ruger, just thread the barrel 100 bucks out the door. Mine was a slab side, smith chucked it up and had it done in about 30 minutes </div></div>
Because the Pac-Lite upper and Trail-Lite barrels are lighter, more accurate and more reliable than stock. </div></div>

lighter... yes
more accurate...... subjective
what is reliable about a barrel?

Don't get me wrong they are nice and when the time comes that's my choice, but to dump a new barrel right off the bat....seriously doubt the you could ever justify the cost.

It's just a .22 pistol barrel.... your not trying to shoot the cornea out of a racoon's eye at 100yrds.

FYI,

I have shot 10s of thousands of rounds through a Ruger MKII with a Gemtech Vortex II can that I have owned since the mid 90s.

Bricks and bricks of Remington and CCI subsonic and virtually every other type of 22 ammo I had on hand.

Without question, the Ruger has proven itself to be a workhorse of a suppresor host. You could not contain all the jackrabbits and other various vermin I have killed with it in the back of a 1 ton truck bed.

I have extensive experience with Brownings too, but for overall reliablity choose Ruger.

suppressedyote.jpg

Back before rails were an easily obtained option and outfits like TacOrd were on the radr, I had my gunsmith build a rail up so I could run an early M3 light on my Ruger. W/ Crimson Trace grips:

miscgunpix.jpg

montanaIdaho083.jpg

Another excellent option is a Marvel conversion unit for a 1911.

I purchased the enhanced accuracy version, complete with 1913 rail and threaded barrel. For a true tack driving .22, you would be hard pressed to beat it.

They (UNIT1)are built to shoot under 1 inch at 50 yards.

0082.jpg

0042.jpg

+1 for the Beretta 87. You will have to pry it from my cold hands. I've also owned a Ruger Mark 2 & Browning Buckmark. The Beretta 87 is still the best.

Beretta 87s are great, but the sights become obscured by the suppressor. I think an 87 Target would be awesome for a suppressor host.

The Browning Buckmark and Ruger 22/45 are great choices. They suppressed versions that I have used have been very reliable and accurate.

The Walther P22 leaves much to be desired. The slide on my p22 will no longer stay open without an empty magazine holding the slide release lever up. It also never exhibited close to the accuracy of the Buckmark and 22/45. My P22 is also very picky on what ammo it will cycle reliably.

The older S&W 422, 622, 2213, 2214, 2206 pistols are great for suppressor use. I have collected a few of these pistols over the years. They have been very reliable, function properly with nearly every kind of .22 LR ammo, and are very accurate. The only way I will ever part with these pistols, is when I one day either give or will them to my kids.

Bump.

I'm left wondering how to evaluate something if you have nothing to compare it to? It's a lot of time and money to go through to get one, much less others to compare...for most they'll get one pistol, and one suppressor and just live with it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: valise</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bump.

I'm left wondering how to evaluate something if you have nothing to compare it to? It's a lot of time and money to go through to get one, much less others to compare...for most they'll get one pistol, and one suppressor and just live with it.

</div></div>

I would read this thread. There are 5-6 pistols that people swear by. See which of these pistols fit into your price range, then locate them a a local dealer(s) to handle them. At that point, buy what feels best in your hand. For a high quality suppressed pistol, you really cannot go wrong with the Browning Buckmark, Ruger Mark III, Ruger 22/45, S&W 422 and its variants (622, 2206, 2213, & 2214), or the high quality 1911 conversions (i.e. Marvel and offerings from Tactical Solutions).

I really appreciate the responses back on this thread.

This weekend I went out and held a bunch of different 22lr pistols.

(I kinda fell in love with the buckmark URX frame)

But I really *Really* want my pistol to be completely steel (aluminum does wear much faster)

My Buckmark has thousands of rounds (more boxes of federal bulk packs than i can remember) through it and the action is still tight. I would be more concerned with pistols that have aluminum slides (P22, Mosquito, etc.) than I would be with aluminum frames like the Buckmark.

Alderleet, I have yet to hear of anyone actually wearing out either the Buckmark or MK series however, I do know of people who neglected their pistols and ended up needing to send them to the smith for repair. Either of these two will last forever with just basic routine maintenance to them. ie cleaning, lube, etc...

For what it's worth, my Buckmark has just around 4000 rounds through it and it still looks and functions flawlessly. I use it on a smallbore bullseye pistol league, and it really holds its own against the Smith 41's, Benelli's, MK's, and High-Standards. I finished the last league fourth out of 23 shooters.

SingleShot, a lighter aluminum upper makes it quicker to acquire the target in events like speed steel challenges. Definitley an advantage in circumstances like that. Where it hurts you though is in paper-punching for little groups. The lighter barrel allows for less stability while trying to hold on target. Pros and cons; I see a need on both sides depending on what the pistol is going to be used for.

Well, i did some more searching, and came across a deal on a MK3 22/45 with threaded barrel.

My first instinct when I brought it home *Field strip it*

Not to bad. Reassembly went shitty and now everythings locked up.

I finally fixed it, but that whole mainspring housing deal really pisses me off.

Shoulda went buckmark. Damnit, oh well.

BuckMarks take down with screws.
Get loose or too tight.
The Ruger is better.
Assuming the normal finger/thumb number.

I just bought a mkII that I plan to have worked over by a bullseye smith (trigger job, etc.), then I will have it integrally suppressed... and finally finished by Birdsong.

That is the plan at least. This is massive overkill, but I am crazy like that.

Another cool option is to get a High Standard HD (or even a trophy) integrally suppressed. That has some historic value to it. The OSS used to carry these.

http://world.guns.ru/handguns/hg/usa/hi-standard-hdm-silenced-e.html

I almost bought one complete off Gunbroker, but I dawdled too much and let it get away.

Honestly, I'm really fucking mad I bought this gun. I brought it home today, and ever since I removed the frame from the reciever, its been a absolute ball busting bitch.

bunch of cuts on my hands, profuse amounts of swearing, 3/4 pack of cigarettes gone, 30 kajillion tabs open on how to work a MKIII, trash/tools/cleaning equip littered around my area.

Still not together nor functioning.

I know you're dead, but you're an asshole Bill Ruger. The Ruger Mark series are the fucking rubiks cubes of the gun realm

Well normally there is no real reason to remove the upper and lower halves from each other. Walk away for a bit and come back to it. You have to follow the steps for putting it together, muzzle up muzzle down, hammer back/forward. It's a pain, but you will get it before long.

Hate to hear you are having so many problems getting it back together.
I've worked on dozens of them for folks, trigger jobs etc...

They only go back together one way....Once you figure it out, they go right back together with ease and you will remember it.

Take a break and come back to it tomorrow after some rest and not as fustrated.

I personally like the Ruger over the Buckmark, but I own a Smith 41.

I remember my first time trying to put the 22/45 back together. If all my firearms were that big of a pain to reassemble, I would have to get a new hobby.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alderleet</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Honestly, I'm really fucking mad I bought this gun. I brought it home today, and ever since I removed the frame from the reciever, its been a absolute ball busting bitch.

bunch of cuts on my hands, profuse amounts of swearing, 3/4 pack of cigarettes gone, 30 kajillion tabs open on how to work a MKIII, trash/tools/cleaning equip littered around my area.

Still not together nor functioning.

I know you're dead, but you're an asshole Bill Ruger. The Ruger Mark series are the fucking rubiks cubes of the gun realm </div></div>

I have the Ruger, the Buckmark, and S&W 41. I remember the first few times taking down the my Ruger, getting it back together seemed like Chineese puzzle box, but once I figured it out, it was a piece of cake. Impossible to describe how in writing though. Ya gotta hold it at just the right angle. All three are great guns, but the S&W 41 is in a whole different class from the other two.

Yeah, figuring when to hold it in the right angle is the key, but after a couple of times, it is pretty easy to reassemble (at least the mk ii, I don't know about the mk iii).

Walther P22 with Yankee Hill "Mite". I have over 9500 rounds through my WP22 and 3500 rounds through the mite.

But, only use CCI through the Walther. It's cleaner and the gun needs good ammo. The cci subsonic or standard velocity (only 20fps faster) work great and the gun is super quite.

runner

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: runner</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Walther P22 with Yankee Hill "Mite". I have over 9500 rounds through my WP22 and 3500 rounds through the mite.

But, only use CCI through the Walther. It's cleaner and the gun needs good ammo. The cci subsonic or standard velocity (only 20fps faster) work great and the gun is super quite.

runner </div></div>

Have you seen the alarming number of p22s with broken slides?

Sold my P22 at a loss and couldn't have been happier.

I will be sending my P22 in for a new slide this year, due to the slide becoming so worn that the slide will not lock open with out an empty magazine holding the slide stop in place.

I may get rid of it after I get it repaired. I picked up a used S&W 2206 for less than the going rate of a used P22, and it is worlds better than the P22.

Go with the buckmark and put a tactical solutions barrel on it. That is what I did on mine, no supressor yet. But it is a very solid and fun gun.