• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best quality subsonic 300 blackout ammo?

Fmilby

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Nov 3, 2020
Maryland
Should have my first suppressor soon curious what everybody’s opinion is on the best quality subsonic ammo

The Black Hills 220 grain is one of the best, in my opinion. On the budget side, PSA has created an ammo factory, called AAC, and all accounts, their ammo is quite good.

It is very pricey but the Ft. Scott Munitions 190 TUI performs
ms amazingly well for me.

Depends on what you want it to do, for paper the 220 grain fmj is fine, it will save you a fortune if you roll your own. If your looking for something that does allot of damage by expanding I’ve found the choices pretty limited, most heavy 30 caliber bullets won’t expand at subsonic speeds, the best I’ve seen are the 194 grain Lehigh maximum expansion bullet, and Underwood makes a good overall cartridge.

Should have my first suppressor soon curious what everybody’s opinion is on the best quality subsonic ammo
This is all extremely subjective. That said, among the factory ammo that I've shot (which isn't really a lot) Beck Ammunition's 194 Max Expansion have been by far the most impressive in every category.

That said, and as others have said, reloading your own is by FAR a substantially better option. Not only is it much cheaper but it produces superior ammo.

I roll all my own, but... I'd checkout Callaway Ballistics. They're out of Alabama, and get rave reviews from most folks I've read, including some big you tubers like Alabama Arsenal. 👍🏼

I roll all my own, but... I'd checkout Callaway Ballistics. They're out of Alabama, and get rave reviews from most folks I've read, including some big you tubers like Alabama Arsenal. 👍🏼
Not shitting on your post so please don't take it that way, but people need to know this.

Callaway is/was using copper plated bullets in their 300blk loads that the bullet MFG advertises to only use in a 1/7 twist.. Callaway is/was not advertising that. My buddy picked some up for his GQ Paladin and when shooting he found that what he originally thought was copper jacket separation inside his suppressor, turned to be the plating shearing off in the 1/5 twist barrel and flaking in the suppressor.

Thankfully there were no strikes in the suppressor. For those using a 1/5 twist just be cautious. I'm not sure if Callaway knows or has remedied or put it on their site, but that is a thing..

Not shitting on your post so please don't take it that way, but people need to know this.

Callaway is/was using copper plated bullets in their 300blk loads that the bullet MFG advertises to only use in a 1/7 twist.. Callaway is/was not advertising that. My buddy picked some up for his GQ Paladin and when shooting he found that what he originally thought was copper jacket separation inside his suppressor, turned to be the plating shearing off in the 1/5 twist barrel and flaking in the suppressor.

Thankfully there were no strikes in the suppressor. For those using a 1/5 twist just be cautious. I'm not sure if Callaway knows or has remedied or put it on their site, but that is a thing..
I’m not defending the company, as I have zero affiliation, but wouldn’t that not necessarily be a Callaway thing, and more of a 95% of 220gr .300 BLK specific bullets available, and common knowledge thing?

A 1:5 twist is still fairly new and uncommon in the overall market, and really only useful (designed for) for super slow and super heavy bullets +230gr. I’d SWAG that 90+% of .300 BLK shooters are using a 1:7, 1:8, or 1:8.5 twist barrel, so I think maybe your buddy should have been more aware of his gun, and the ammo he chose.

Reactions: RWE3
I’m not defending the company, as I have zero affiliation, but wouldn’t that not necessarily be a Callaway thing, and more of a 95% of 220gr .300 BLK specific bullets available, and common knowledge thing?

A 1:5 twist is still fairly new and uncommon in the overall market, and really only useful (designed for) for super slow and super heavy bullets +230gr. I’d SWAG that 90+% of .300 BLK shooters are using a 1:7, 1:8, or 1:8.5 twist barrel, so I think maybe your buddy should have been more aware of his gun, and the ammo he chose.
I would think the company that is loading the projectiles would have the responsibility to let the customers know especially since it is posted on the bullet manufacturers site. Maybe they don't even know.

I'm not saying Callaway is intentionally doing it, but they are the ones loading and if people buy their 300blk rounds and have a 1/5 twist, they need to be aware of it.

I don’t disagree, they probably should put that on there, but like I said, I roll all my own, and all mine are either 1:7 or 1:8 twist, so it doesn’t really affect me.

I re-barreled my 300 BLK Ruger American Ranch with a 1:5 twist 300BLK barrel yesterday. I've got some 190gr Hornady Sub-X rounds loaded and I have some 120gr Barnes TAC-TX loaded. Neither have been tested. I got distracted by my 7Mag. Hopefully I'll get some time to shoot those across the LabRadar, at some targets, by the end of next week.

Why did I switch the barrel to 1:5 twist? In the past, shooting with a can and Gorilla ammo, the bullets would go off into never never land. I have a few different cans and it just did not like them. Like miss POI at 50 yards by as much as 4' not like them. Spin the can off and poof, it's back on paper. No baffle strikes or end cap strikes. I bore scoped the can and it's fine. I used a good alignment rod and it's dead center. The bullet would keyhole at 40 yards with the can(s). The target had the perfect outline of a bullet on it. The target was a 4'x6' sheet of craft paper. That was how I found POI. BTW- my factory Sub-X rounds didn't shoot any better. The troubling thing is that they weren't shooting very well in my AR either. And yes, I know that means it's probably not the barrel on the Ruger.

Weather and work has put a damper on my testing. That and the can for my 8.6BLK came in and I've finally been having fun with it.

Are 300blk subsonics hearing safe indoors with suppressor out of a Sig Rattler? I've been thinking about how to protect my hearing in a worst case scenario in a home invasion if an intruder breaks into my home.

The reviews I've read from hunters about some 300blk subsonics is they have performed pretty well on deer sized game out to around 100 yards like the Lehigh Maximum Expansion 194gr. Are there any reports on how 300blk subsonics perform against dangerous criminals?

Also, a little off topic but, hand gun suppressed ammo? Is the 9mm 147gr suppressed the best handgun round for lowest db or 40 S&W 180gr? Any ways of reducing the db of 357 sig suppressed?

Last edited:
Short answer. No.

Slightly longer answer. Hearing damage is cumulative and 140 dB is not the clearly defined demarcation of un/safe that it is treated as.

But, in a home invasion you have more to worry about than the potential hearing damage from suppressed subsonic 300bo.

Reactions: Mike6158
Are 300blk subsonics hearing safe indoors with suppressor out of a Sig Rattler? I've been thinking about how to protect my hearing in a worst case scenario in a home invasion if an intruder breaks into my home.

The reviews I've read from hunters about some 300blk subsonics is they have performed pretty well on deer sized game out to around 100 yards like the Lehigh Maximum Expansion 194gr. Are there any reports on how 300blk subsonics perform against dangerous criminals?

Also, a little off topic but, hand gun suppressed ammo? Is the 9mm 147gr suppressed the best handgun round for lowest db or 40 S&W 180gr? Any ways of reducing the db of 357 sig suppressed?

"Hearing safe" probably not, anything indoors is going to be much louder. However, reducing your damage risk significantly compared to unsupressed or something like a 9mm pistol? Very much so.

Depends on the silencer and how well it plays/tunes with the host as well.

People kill deer, hogs, black bear, etc with discreet ballistics selous so I'd imagine it'd do quite well against 2 legged things.

If you'd shoot a 147gr 9mm for sd/HD, quality 300 blk subs are better.

"Hearing safe" probably not, anything indoors is going to be much louder. However, reducing your damage risk significantly compared to unsupressed or something like a 9mm pistol? Very much so.

Depends on the silencer and how well it plays/tunes with the host as well.

People kill deer, hogs, black bear, etc with discreet ballistics selous so I'd imagine it'd do quite well against 2 legged things.

If you'd shoot a 147gr 9mm for sd/HD, quality 300 blk subs are better.
What is quieter suppressed between 147gr 9mm vs 300 blk subs?

I was thinking of either a CGS Hyperion or YHM suppressor.

Subsonic with a decent can is hearing safe indoors or out, it doesn't matter.

You will hear reflected noises off of surfaces but not unpleasant at all.

I take earpro off if I'm alone on the indoor range with 300 blk in bolt or semi, aswell as 9, 45, and 22lr.
I tried it once with 223, I do not recommend it.

And pre-emptively I didn't bring a meter with me just common sense for the trolls that want to argue.

I have 220 gr hand loads that I’ve shot over a magnetospeed and confirmed to be subsonic. I was out with my son, my 8” 300 BO, a YHM R2, and those loads. I shot a few (outdoors) and we both agreed they were spicy enough that we preferred plugs. Maybe they were “hearing safe” but they weren’t “pleasant.” Maybe we have sensitive ears. I already have tinnitus and remember slight additional ringing. Anyway, the only suppressed load I’d call “pleasant” is SV or “subsonic” 22lr.

Feed your ears a steady diet of 139dB impulse sounds and you will eventually find that loud sounds aren’t so loud.