• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes best range finder

bpw

Private
Minuteman
Nov 22, 2004
eufaula,al
best range finder for the money?
i have a pair leica geo's 10 power binocular rangefinder.
i love the glass best out there but the range finder isnt that great past 700 to 800 yards . is there any thing better without spending 12000 dollars
or is there any one out there that could tune up the range finder in mine where it would work better?

Re: best range finder

The Swarovski Laser Guide has better LRF performance than the Geovids. Of course, the glassing capability is a bit less!

As of right now i believe the Swaro rangefinder for about $1000 is the best rangefinder for the money that represents a significant enough advantage over the Leica Geo's that you already have.

however, i just saw this posted on here not to long ago - its the press release for the Leica CRF 1600 due out this summer. looks like this one might be the way to go. check it out.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...194#Post1690194

best of luck to ya,

-Wrighty

I just received my $600 Zeiss PRF and am loving it. I've been going out each morning and testing myself against the RF. Seems I need the training aide very much! Today I ranged to a water tower from a levee. The levee was right straight in line with the tower, so I found a place where I got a range of 1475-1476 yards. Stepping back one step, I got 1476 yards with some ----. Took another step back, got 1476 occasionally, but more ----. Another step back got me nothing but ----. So, it seems, my PRF has a built-in limit of 1476 yards. Plenty for me since my rifle/caliber is pretty much limited to 1000 yards.

I tried the Swarowski, but had a really hard time seeing the display or getting a reading.

I have never tried a Leica though.

Do a search on Vectronix laser range finders. They're more $ than the units discussed here but are light years ahead of them re quality.

I was at a long range field match recently and lots of people had Geovids (including me), Swaro, Lieca 1200 etc. We all had trouble ranging targets beyond 700-800yds as well as targets in the woods with limbs & twigs between the them and the shooting position. A couple of guys had Vectronix units and had no trouble at all ranging any target in the match regardless of position or condition.

I will have a pair as soon as I can save up a few more bucks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ch'e</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Trouble rainging with Swaros at 700-800 yards -I dont think so </div></div>

Think again sir. It was a problem. The size of the targets vs the reticle in the range finder made it difficult.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DT1</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ch'e</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Trouble rainging with Swaros at 700-800 yards -I dont think so </div></div>

Think again sir. It was a problem. The size of the targets vs the reticle in the range finder made it difficult. </div></div>

It's true, there are plenty of times when no commercial LRF will give you the range - woods, concealed target with no large objects around, snow, etc.

Optical ranging will never be obsolete!

Hi BPW,

If that's all you're getting for range, they are almost certainly out of collimation. It's like your scope being off zero. If you bump them hard enough, it can happen. The laser emitter and receiver have to be in perfect alignment for them to range at extreme distances. This is true for all such systems, and the tighter one's beam divergence is, the more critical it becomes. Most likely a quick fix at the office in NJ. Contact me if you like. I can help, and I'll be happy to.