• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best range finding binos for the money.

Axel314

Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 18, 2017
Indiana
Any others that r as good or better im open to all opinions. Thanks

I have had a chance to look though the Leica range finding bino's at an ELR match and the were good ranged a target at 3085yds and the glass was good. They have different models to choose from, The run from $2500 to over $3000.

I really like my Athlon's and where I usually shoot can easily range targets out to 2000 yards. I had real issues at NF ELR getting ranges with them.

I really like my Athlon's and where I usually shoot can easily range targets out to 2000 yards. I had real issues at NF ELR getting ranges with them.
So at the nf elr u couldn't get any range with the athlons?

So at the nf elr u couldn't get any range with the athlons?
for some reason I could only range out to about 1200 yards, everyone in my group seemed to be having the same issue, couple sets of sigs, one vortex and a leica, only one guy seemed to be getting reliable readings was using an older terrapin

I’ve owned some Sig stuff and also the more expensive new Leicas. If you’re legit going to be glassing for long periods then make the bigger investment in Leica or maybe something else.

If you will be using bare eyes mostly and checking on steel or maybe animals for a brief yardage then go with Sig. The Sig glass is good enough and the laser will be great.

I don’t know all the technical aspects of range finders and How beam divergence works, etc.

I got the vortex fury 5000 AB from Liberty Optics. They have been great. Pretty sure he also sells Sig. You can’t beat Liberty on price or service.

A couple key things I’ve noticed through tons of anecdotal reviews on here is the Sig 10K laser performed better than Fury 5000 in inclement weather. Multiple posts about it performing more reliably, seemingly quicker and further out than Leica. Hands down, Leica has better glass and no blue tint that drives some folks nuts. Supposedly the newest Leica are much improved with AB and Bluetooth connectivity over the older models.
The one big thing that Sig 10K and 3K has over Leica and Fury is how the bino displays info in the eyepiece. Sig gives all your AB dope, compass and other info on the same screen. Fury and Leica both display partial info and then you have to wait for the screen to automatically change to another screen to give you additional info. That’s a deal killer for me. I’m too inpatient and frankly don’t like being at the mercy of the unit to do this for me. Competitors on a clock or if you’ve ever had limited time to shoot that elk before it disappears into the cedars and scrub oak, you’ll appreciate having control of these things. These are the top 3 choices usually I’ll leave it at that.

From BigJimFish 2022 review on here.
This discusss the display limitation of Leica Pro.
7158F03C-0D60-4FE2-B410-5E3196C236CC.jpeg

Last edited:
Not exactly. The HD-B is Leica's flagship model. It seems like Leica "updates" the HD-B series every handful of years and has had the 2000, 2200, 2700, and now the 3200.com. For each update, the same chassis, glass, & coatings are used but an update to the electronics that extends the range. The 3200.com has the most significant update in my mind with the ability to Bluetooth connect to a Kestrel (or similar).

I've owned/used the HD-B 2200, and they are a great RF Bino. I've used them to accurately range and shoot targets out to 1,400 yards, I have multiple SD cards, and the ballistic correction lines up exact with multiple rifles. After hearing a potential for issues in the cold, I left mine in the toolbox of my truck for a week when highs were in the single digits and lows were sub-zero. I had no problems ranging targets.

I've only played around with the Sigs and Vortex RF Binos - I don't own either. Comparing either to the Leica is kinda dumb. For my eyes, the Vortex were terrible - they had a blue/green tint in one barrel (common to RF Binos where the laser is within a barrel) that immediately gave me a headache. The Sigs were nowhere near as bad to my eyes. The Sigs also have a ballistic solver (Vortex doesn't yet). For rifle hunting/shooting, I would also push you to get a RF Bino with a ballistic solver.

If I was on a tight budget, I'd buy the Sigs. Otherwise I'd look at the Leica or the Zeiss.

Reactions: 65x55guy
Not exactly. The HD-B is Leica's flagship model. It seems like Leica "updates" the HD-B series every handful of years and has had the 2000, 2200, 2700, and now the 3200.com. For each update, the same chassis, glass, & coatings are used but an update to the electronics that extends the range. The 3200.com has the most significant update in my mind with the ability to Bluetooth connect to a Kestrel (or similar).

I've owned/used the HD-B 2200, and they are a great RF Bino. I've used them to accurately range and shoot targets out to 1,400 yards, I have multiple SD cards, and the ballistic correction lines up exact with multiple rifles. After hearing a potential for issues in the cold, I left mine in the toolbox of my truck for a week when highs were in the single digits and lows were sub-zero. I had no problems ranging targets.

I've only played around with the Sigs and Vortex RF Binos - I don't own either. Comparing either to the Leica is kinda dumb. For my eyes, the Vortex were terrible - they had a blue/green tint in one barrel (common to RF Binos where the laser is within a barrel) that immediately gave me a headache. The Sigs were nowhere near as bad to my eyes. The Sigs also have a ballistic solver (Vortex doesn't yet). For rifle hunting/shooting, I would also push you to get a RF Bino with a ballistic solver.

If I was on a tight budget, I'd buy the Sigs. Otherwise I'd look at the Leica or the Zeiss.
You’re discussing old products fyi.
Leica is now Geovid Pro and Vortex certainly has AB now.
“Comparing either to Leica is kinda dumb” is an ignorant statement in itself. Better glass is about all the Leica is doing better so the fact is, that is rarely needed to spot LR or ELR targets (the intended use) making it an almost moot point.

Reactions: greybeard0058
A couple key things I’ve noticed through tons of anecdotal reviews on here is the Sig 10K laser performed better than Fury 5000 in inclement weather. Multiple posts about it performing more reliably, seemingly quicker and further out than Leica. Hands down, Leica has better glass and no blue tint that drives some folks nuts. Supposedly the newest Leica are much improved with AB and Bluetooth connectivity over the older models.
The one big thing that Sig 10K and 3K has over Leica and Fury is how the bino displays info in the eyepiece. Sig gives all your AB dope, compass and other info on the same screen. Fury and Leica both display partial info and then you have to wait for the screen to automatically change to another screen to give you additional info. That’s a deal killer for me. I’m too inpatient and frankly don’t like being at the mercy of the unit to do this for me. Competitors on a clock or if you’ve ever had limited time to shoot that elk before it disappears into the cedars and scrub oak, you’ll appreciate having control of these things. These are the top 3 choices usually I’ll leave it at that.

The Fury 5000 AB info is instant as far as dial or hold corrections as soon as you ping the target, theres no waiting or screen changes.

osoh

Best range finding binos for the money.​

Hands down, the Sig 3000s. I've had several sets of Leica monoculars and a set of Swaro standard binos. The glass on the Leicas and Swaros are superior but the Sig's laser is so good. Not knocking the Leicas and I'd recommend those as well but "for the money" the Sigs are the winner. And apparently I won the Sig glass lottery as the glass on my 3000s is better than "good enough". If you value the glass then get the Leica binos. If you want a solid rangefinder, then get the Sig 3000s. I haven't laid hands on the 10ks, but from what I've read, I'd save the money and get the 3000s. IMO, onboard ballistics is overrated. I'm sure some guys have a specific use case scenario where the onboard ballistics is a must, but for me, the 3000s and Strelok Pro is more than adequate. Most binos weather sensors leave a lot to be desired, especially the temp readings as they are effected by wearing them close to the body or stored in a case. Weather meters need to be cleared before taking a reading, AKA swinging your Kestrel to clear the temp sensors, etc.

Leica glass is top notch. So if you need binoculars and want the rangefinder get the Leica 3200.

If you need the rangefinder and want the binoculars for convenience, get the Sig.

Reactions: jh2785 and phlegm
I honestly can't even figure out how to buy vectronix products.
They are hard to get but there is a member here who can get them, albeit at a high price. I tried a pair once that a bud owns and it is remarkable how well they work but unless you are calling in artillery fire at a target 5 kilometers away, they are a bit overkill

Reactions: greybeard0058
That is a reasonable request but I am sure that you understand that there are so many variables that affect that measurement that it is hard to predict without specific and carefully executed tests. Brian Litz at AB did such a test a couple of years ago. The results were pretty cool but not surprising. The higher cost units had no issues and lower cost units didn't even meet the claims made by the manufacturer.

Variables to consider

Stability - tripod mounted or hand held...forget 3,000 yards if you're doing it handheld. The beam divergence is too great at that distance.
Target size
Target reflectivity
Direct sunlight versus overcast conditions
Laser wavelength/power level
Laser spot size/divergence as a function of distance
Degree and type of processing that the instrument does to reach a decision

All of this affects the ability of the instrument to return quick and accurate range information. My Wilcox RAPTAR even has trouble at 3,000 yards under bright sun/small target conditions and that is a $5,000 LRF mounted on my rifle which is a pretty stable platform

Last edited:
There are no great rangefinders that are binoculars. And there are no great binoculars that are rangefinders. By them separately I own two of the Leica geovids and the sig 10k I am not pleased with both aspects of either brand I wish the Sig Rangefinder was in the geovid glass. Every brand of range finding binoculars leaves something to be desired I'm not really sure why someone can't get it right all together I have seven rangefinders

Last edited:
There are no great rangefinders that are binoculars. And there are no great binoculars that are rangefinders. By them separately I own two of the Leica geovids and the sig 10k I am not pleased with both aspects of either brand I wish the Sig Rangefinder was in the geovid glass. Every brand of range finding binoculars leaves something to be desired I'm not really sure why someone can't get it right all together I have seven rangefinders
I think only advantage in bino rangefinders is hunting 1 package and faster than switching around.

Reactions: Taylorbok
Sounds like the sig 3000 is best bang for the money?
Nope. It's the Vortex Fury 5000. The glass is the Sig's is awful.

There are no great rangefinders that are binoculars. And there are no great binoculars that are rangefinders. By them separately
If you want the "full-meal-deal" get the Zeiss. Laser is excellent and the glass is exceptional.

Or just get something on sale from @gr8fuldoug and be happy. None of them are perfect.

Also plenty of threads on the sig 3kbdx and their beam divergence issues, this exposed when trying tovrange through loops.

Fixed with the 10k i believe.

For the money, Sig 3ks are great. With that said, as I find longer range places to shoot (and my equipment supports such shooting), their limits are being reached. I usually can range off dirt hillsides to about 1800-2000 depending on conditions. Beyond that, I need something more reflective.

Still, for ~$800, 2k against dirt/grass is great.

For the money, Sig 3ks are great. With that said, as I find longer range places to shoot (and my equipment supports such shooting), their limits are being reached. I usually can range off dirt hillsides to about 1800-2000 depending on conditions. Beyond that, I need something more reflective.

Still, for ~$800, 2k against dirt/grass is great.
I live in Colorado and I can get hillsides and rocks well past the 2k mark. I've ranged a deer at 1 mile with them. I wondering if the terrain is different or unit to unit.

I live in Colorado and I can get hillsides and rocks well past the 2k mark. I've ranged a deer at 1 mile with them. I wondering if the terrain is different or unit to unit.

I'm sure it's the terrain/fauna. I've had some places where 2k+ works, and others where I struggle at a mile.

EDIT: And rocks are much more uniform/reflective than dirt, so will range farther.

Reactions: Schw15
Buy once, cry once. Loving my Steiners! Glass is amazing.
AA57F15D-A7AC-4C81-817C-D550A6591437.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Jumper
For $850 shipped, the Sig 3000ABS have served well. Limited solutions to 800 yds lacking baro/temp sensors, can kink to Kestrel 5700 for unlimited ranges. I'm looking at updating to the 10K soon......just because.

The Sigs are great for what they are. The glass is good enough but make no mistake they are not going to complete with Leica, Swaro, etc.
The 3000s work really well but are software limited to 800 yards unless you are linked to a kestrel. The 10k is full featured and works without needing the Kestrel. Add in the compass and GPS and nothing touches them! Bluetooth updates and syncing everything with your phone makes it a breeze to program.

I have the leica 3200.com. I got these just before the new swaro release but don't regret it yet. The leica glass is excellent as expected. It ranges to over 3000 without issue. It gives solutions to 1000 on a custom curve, via inputs in the app, and will give solutions to as far as it will range when paired to a kestrel with blue tooth. I am not a big fan of the BT to kestrel connection but it's not horrible. The whole thing should just be integrated inside the bino and be done with the BS.

The price keeps going up I got my sig kilo 10k on pre order for 1500$ and for that price they are by far the best lrf bino for the money and I think the best operation wise still some with better glass but not overall better system and user friendly