• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best rangefinder?

Lovetheguns

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Apr 11, 2023
Utah
Looking to buy a new rangefinder. I don't really have a budget, I don't really care. (Other than military $20k units haha) I live out west and can shoot as far as I want. Hystorically, I've been impressed with leica. One limiting factor with most of them is the 7x magnification at long distance. I think I'd like more magnification if possible. I don't necessarily need a ballistic solver, but I wouldn't mind. Hit me with your best options.

Reactions: JAC0X
You’re not going to find many LRFs with magnification above 7x, at least for handhelds. To get around that I have mine slaved with a spotting scope, so whatever I’ve dialed with the spotter, I can lase pretty easily. The last non-mil LRF I bought was a Terrapin. At the time it was hard to beat, but now there are other options that give similar or better performance. I use a PLRF-15C but that’s primarily because it sends data to FFS. The new Vortex 4000 GB is one you might look at. The next gen Terrapin X is well proven as well.

@CoryT scored me a Vector 21 deployment kit for less than half of retail, including the 3x adapter (for a total of 10x). Their optical quality, ranging, and additional features are superb. The BT adapter he advised me to get populates data into my Kestrel 5700 for seamless firing solutions (albeit somewhat clumsily). Check with him!

I also have the Lecia 3500.com and the Lecia Geovid Pro which are very good also. The 3500.com has a 7x magnification, and the Pros are 10x. I wish I would have held out for the 10x42s Pro, but my 32s are just fine until lighting conditions start to diminish. My only real complaint is that the Lecias don't come with an integral tripod mount, so you have to add some type of assembly to do that (I use the RRS on the Leica binos) to keep them stabile when ranging long distances. Also, you have to pay an additional $$$ to upgrade the onboard ballistic computer to AB on the Geovid Pros. My 3500.com's BT connection to my AB Kestrel is also a little unstable but can be worked with.

If you want the best and budget isn't an issue, just skip anything 905nm and get a 1550nm laser. You'll have some issue finding much past 7x unless you get the adapters for the Vector 21. But they turn it into a brick. The 21 is very light for what it is, but the adapters are heavy AF AF.

A Vector 21 from Cory if you need/want the smaller beam and a bino. Otherwise, the PLRF25c linked above with AB.

Edit: The Steiners listed below are also very good. You can find them much cheaper calling around.

"I really enjoy my Vortex Ranger 1800 when it works"

"I am currently on my third in 2 years."

Why the fuck would anyone buy this thing based on that recommendation...? "The warranty?

"Next thing you know, your daughter's knocked up..."