• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Precision Rifle Gear best rangefinders for 1 mile and beyond

Bugholes

Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
May 26, 2008
Central TN
www.bugholes.com
Im on the hunt for the best rangefinder for 1000 yd and beyond ranging. Im wanting to get a rangefinder that can get a return on a full IPSC or larger plate at extended distances. Getting data from a berm directly behind the target would be considered fine. Im not going to say "price doesn't matter", but most of what ive tried hasnt met my requirements just yet. Basically, I want a rangefinder that will work within the ranges that I can shoot, so lets say 2 miles and in. What Ive tried so far works great at 1200Y and in

What Ive tried so far:
Leica 3200.com binos
-I own a set of these, and have struggled with getting returns on "targets" beyond 1350Y
-I have had other problems with these and theyve since gone back to Leica for repair
-when they came back they do work much better. Ive got returns from perpendicular facing hard objects like houses and billboards out to 2000Y and beyond
-I have not had the chance to use them on "targets" at distance since I got them back

Terrapin X
-
Im borrowing a set of these from a friend for evaluation
-Ive got returns from perpendicular facing hard objects like houses and billboards out to 2800Y
-I have not had the chance to use them on "targets" at distance

Sig Kilo 10K binos
-I have been shooting with a few guys that had these
-we were getting returns on targets and berms out to around 2000Y
-the blue glass and the internal ballistic computer is a bit of a turn off for me, I still want to use my kestrel

What Ive not yet tried:
I have not used the original Terrapin, or the PLRF.
not sure if theres anything else out there that I should look at
Does anyone have real world experience with my above criteria, and could you make a recommendation of something else I may want to consider?

Im on the hunt for the best rangefinder for 1000 yd and beyond ranging. Im wanting to get a rangefinder that can get a return on a full IPSC or larger plate at extended distances. Getting data from a berm directly behind the target would be considered fine. Im not going to say "price doesn't matter", but most of what ive tried hasnt met my requirements just yet. Basically, I want a rangefinder that will work within the ranges that I can shoot, so lets say 2 miles and in. What Ive tried so far works great at 1200Y and in

What Ive tried so far:
Leica 3200.com binos
-I own a set of these, and have struggled with getting returns on "targets" beyond 1350Y
-I have had other problems with these and theyve since gone back to Leica for repair
-when they came back they do work much better. Ive got returns from perpendicular facing hard objects like houses and billboards out to 2000Y and beyond
-I have not had the chance to use them on "targets" at distance since I got them back

Terrapin X
-
-Ive got returns from perpendicular facing hard objects like houses and billboards out to 2800Y

Sig Kilo 10K binos
-the blue glass and the internal ballistic computer is a bit of a turn off for me, I still want to use my kestrel

What Ive not yet tried:
Does anyone have real world experience with my above criteria, and could you make a recommendation of something else I may want to consider?
The best laser for a reasonable price is probably the 10k’s. You can link them to your kestrel like I do and it’ll give you data from the kestrel not the internal calculator. The blue glass does suck ass, but I use a spotter 60 to actually spot. You could try the sig kilo 8k RF. Supposed to basically be the 10k but I’m pure RF form and just get a good set of binos or something else to spot with.
I had 2 terrapin X but couldn’t ever get reliable ranges on smaller targets past about 2200.

Reactions: Taylorbok
Get the vectors floating around for $5000 now ?

I bought a plrf15c here for like $750 they have a real good reputation also.

Raptor co witness to spotter is another good choice

Can also use the line measuring function of the onX hunt and other apps

If you want to try my plrf15c Il send for you to try I need to send those At-x baker wings back to you anyway

What Ive tried so far:
Leica 3200.com binos

Terrapin X
-

Sig Kilo 10K binos

What Ive not yet tried:
Original terrapin FTW

I have an Sig Kilo 10K, gets hits at 2000 yards consistently. As you have determined the glass is not great but functional. Connects to a Kestrel and the internal ballistics can act as a backup. Occasionally goes on sale for less than you will spend on many of the other options.

You probably have to look into rangefinder with a more powerful beam. Mil spec offerings of 1500nm and up. Not cheap.. But definitely what you need out to 2 miles or more.

For brand new LRF:

The Terrapin X and the Sig Kilo 10K binos are what topped the list when I recently asked the same question here, and elsewhere to ELR veterans. But these two were for those on an under $2500 budget.

Vectronix PLRF25 was always the top recommendation overall.

From what I've read, 1550nm LRFs are needed to always get a good reading on full sized IPSC targets beyond about a mile/1720 yds. Some might say even shorter distance than a mile.

I"ve been messing around with various RF's for years.....Swaro, Leica 1200, Leupy TBR1600, Sig BDX2200, Geovids. My expectations are that on deer or any animal for that matter, expect a max readout of about 1/2 what the specs are. For instance, my Sig BDX2200 I expect a max of about 1000 yds on deer. Haven't seen that much difference in any of them in this regard, even the current Geovids.

Reactions: Jeff Gahler
The problem with the Terrapin X is that you have to wait like 6-8 seconds between rangings; if you don't, the button press just toggles to the next useless parameter.
What's the date of manufacture on your Terrapin X?

Vectronix (not the X) is what you want. My OG terrapin would hit out to 3800+ yards consistently on anything and would hit over 4000 on most reflective. My PLRF25C and Vector 21 were basically double that or more.

If you can find a clean used Terrapin it's going to be the best value, just buy from someone reputable and I would ask for an inspection period just to confirm function. $1500-$2000 is the usual range but sometimes they go for as low as $1200. PLRF15's are great too and can be had a little more than the terrapin but aren't quite as common. Both are discontinued so it's used market only unless a dealer somewhere has one on the shelf. Be careful of stuff that fell off uncle Sams truck when buying too.

If you want new PLRF25C is the way to go but you're gonna spend about $10K for the current version.

I have tried a few rangefinders and my favorite so far is the Leupold rx2800. The glass is great and the ranging capability is outstanding. I have gotten readings on houses and barns past 3000 yards. I have also ranged deer past 1000 yards with zero issues. I havent gone past 1200 yards on full size IPSC with it but I’m sure it would have no issues.

• Haha
Reactions: redneckbmxer24
The problem with the Terrapin X is that you have to wait like 6-8 seconds between rangings; if you don't, the button press just toggles to the next useless parameter.
I have noticed this annoyimg feature in the unit I’m using, reset time is prob 3-4 seconds but for an impatient guy like me it’s frustrating. When you’re in azimuth, inclination, etc it takes even longer to reset

I have noticed this annoyimg feature in the unit I’m using, reset time is prob 3-4 seconds but for an impatient guy like me it’s frustrating. When you’re in azimuth, inclination, etc it takes even longer to reset
@Zak Smith

I'm looking hard at a TerrapinX and hoping a software update might have improved this, but I really don't know.

In the end, there can be only one. Vectronix Vector 21. I can ping an 18x24 inch plate at 2500m first time every time. Larger targets can be ranged +/- 1m at 10,000m

Reactions: redneckbmxer24