• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best Rear Bags for the field

CarbonOne

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 11, 2010
Utah
Looking for some advice on the best rear bag for the field. Looking for something I can throw in my pack that's fairly light and compact, but offers support at a lot of different angles. Thanks for the suggestions!

Re: Best Rear Bags for the field

I use the Holland Field Bag by Dog Gone Good. The ideal is same as many others, with one bag you get three heights available; 2", 3", and 4". I'm going to get the second size soon which is one step larger. I've found that in prone 4" is a little lacking or small to be stable. On the bench it's a perfect size.

http://www.hollandguns.com/

Thanks guys. Ordered a lil wedgie from triad. Shipping is brutal. Should have bought more stuff LOL

The Lil Wedge also works well under Accushot monopods, when they need a little more height.

The RedTac rear bag is what all other rear bags are measured by.

http://www.triadtactical.com/Red-Tac-Gear-Rear-Bag.html

Says they are out of stock, but I have it on good authority that they will be available real soon.
grin.gif

Nick

I don't do much shooting shooting in field conditions but I wouldn't hesitate to use my Triad wedge. Especially if size and weight is a concern.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HasgunWilltravel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The RedTac rear bag is what all other rear bags are measured by.

http://www.triadtactical.com/Red-Tac-Gear-Rear-Bag.html

Says they are out of stock, but I have it on good authority that they will be available real soon.
grin.gif

Nick </div></div>

+1-- and get the UL version if you really want LIGHT--but watch it in the wind, it will blow away

I have RedTac bag as well and like it for my bolt-action. For my AR10, I use a magpul PRS stock with accu-shot monopod.

Cheap, Easy, Lightweight. I use a wool sock filled with rice.

I wish there was a "best solution" but I have not found a perfect one yet. It depends on you, and the stock your using. My most versatile, and used most often kit is the Lightweight Red Tac Gear 1/2 pint, and the TAB gear one the most...but I also like the Wilderness Tactical deployable bag, and 8541tactical's as well. Kinda just have to see what works for you.

-Tyler

Necromancy...

Along these lines, what is the best thing to do with the bags when moving and for redeployment? Assuming you are not taking the time to stuff the bag in a backpack or something

Some people will attach the smaller sized bags right to the rear of the sling. I always dumped it into a cargo pocket. I think a lot of trial and error will give the best solution based on how/what you shoot.

Try a GI issued sock.
First open sock and put in a fist and a half of pea sized gravel.
Second spin sock turn remainder inside out.
Third after fitting remainder over itself test for squeez.
Fourth according to your preference add or subtract gravel.
Note pea sized and shaped gravel will not leek out of weave of the sock thus not making a mess or giving away your position.

I used to use an old leather glove, rolled up. Now I use a TAB rear bag or Triad Tactical wedge (either separtately or combined depending on situation) with good effect to help support my rifle...and the economy.

I have the RedTac and the T.A.B. I like both but I seem to have more options with the T.A.B. at this time.

I have an OD sock filled with poly beads (bean bag fill) which is about the size of rice. I also have an uber tactical crown royal bag filled with the same beads.

When the bags get forgotten on range day, once the pain and suffering debt is paid, guys will improvise with a sock or plastic bag filled with sand/dirt. works fine but leads to muscle soreness the next day.

I just picked up 8lbs of poly beads off ebay for $6 plus shipping, making a couple new bags. item #270770497844.

Used the Red Tac in a match this weekend. Liked very much.

GI issue boot sock filled with sand (use a plastic news paper cover for a liner) and other with 6mm beads here, one for the range and the other for hunting.

also as i rehashed this question a possibly relevent addendum ocurred to me...

i sometimes sit down too fast and smoosh me nuts, does that count as best rear bags?

My vote is for a TAB, but its going to depend alot on your frame. If your a big chested or "big boned" guy, you might need a bigger bag.

I know a lot of guys use sand. Sand is heavy. It works a little better than beans, but in the military we were always carrying too much weight.

I just took a standard black sock, poured it full of a $1-$2 worth of lightweight beans from the grocery store, zip tied it shut and reversed it over itself. Then I always carried that in a pack or cargo pocket, and it was a great lightweight portable shooting support.

Is it best? I thought so. Other guys were carrying several pounds of sand, or purpose built items filled with lead shot or some other material. Beans are light, cheap, and they work.

The only bad thing about beans is if they get wet they might sprout. I never had a problem though.