• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best recoil pad for heavy hitters

Nathantc

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
May 20, 2020
Like the title says, what is your opinion of the absolute best recoil pad for large magnums, over bore, or large shotguns. Basically hard hitting rifles that need something to comfort and protect the shooter.

Name your favorite and explain why.

I have no personal experience with these, but trap shooters and several of the F-class shooters like them.

AB8263B5-3D81-48EC-AED9-AC3F73DA4EDE.jpeg

3ADD47F2-B91F-4E2A-9C5F-CB997BDA3260.jpeg

liking the sound of a hydraulic recoil system

just need some fuzzy dice to hang off the turret caps :love:

• Haha
Reactions: Nathantc
I made one for a shotgun with black foam pipe insulation and electrical tape.

Works surprisingly well...

• Haha
I use Kick-eeze on competition skeet shotguns for years.....15K rounds a year between comps and practice. I put a Kick-eeze on my JAE. Its a 6.5 CM so I didn't do it for more recoil absorbtion but rather I put a thinner pad on than the stock one to reduce LOP by 1/2" and frankly the JAE OEM pad just sucked in every way. IMO, lousy recoil reduction and too slick. I have no idea why in the world J Allen would pay the non-recurring for that injection molded POS.

I'm very happy with the selection of profiles they offer, their performance, and their durability.

But, Pachmayr or LimbSaver will be as fine, I'm sure.

Gooey Pads are supposed to be very soft and absorb recoil very well but as also reputed to be far less durable as a result.

Cheers

Reactions: Wasskeet
I use Kick-eeze on competition skeet shotguns for years.....15K rounds a year between comps and practice. I put a Kick-eeze on my JAE. Its a 6.5 CM so I didn't do it for more recoil absorbtion but rather I put a thinner pad on than the stock one to reduce LOP by 1/2" and frankly the JAE OEM pad just sucked in every way. IMO, lousy recoil reduction and too slick. I have no idea why in the world J Allen would pay the non-recurring for that injection molded POS.

I'm very happy with the selection of profiles they offer, their performance, and their durability.

But, Pachmayr or LimbSaver will be as fine, I'm sure.

Gooey Pads are supposed to be very soft and absorb recoil very well but as also reputed to be far less durable as a result.

Cheers
i read on several forums about the kick-eeze being wonderful except after a year or two they melt???? Something to do with carpet, solvents, and gun safes. Have you seen them degrade in any way?

after a year or two they melt????
ah, I dunno anything about melting. Nor have I had any issues with carpet or my gun safe and I do NOT put solvent on recoil pads....why would you.

What happens is that that over time and hard use all recoil pads begin to degrade a bit....from constant flexing, sunshine degradation, sweating all over it, etc. Usually, the pad is still fine...still works and is in one piece..... but when I begin to see black stains on my t-shirt at my shoulder pocket, that indicates that the pad is beginning to degrade and I would replace it.

All pads are consumable, IMO....well, maybe not that rock hard chuck of useless silicon that came on my JAE's.

No...Kick-eeze does not have any unique issues wrt to durability and I know tons of shotgun enthusiasts who have used them like I have....for decades.

Cheers

Limbsaver or Pachmayr Decelerator! I’ve heard of Limbsavers getting soft and sticky over time.....I can’t verify that. We’ve used Decelerators for many years with good results. According to the computer programs my rifle’s recoil is 60 ft/lbs and m6 wife’s rifle @ 38 ft/lbs.......we’ve survived pretty well for many years! memtb

Like the title says, what is your opinion of the absolute best recoil pad for large magnums, over bore, or large shotguns. Basically hard hitting rifles that need something to comfort and protect the shooter.

Name your favorite and explain why.
Limbsaver on my Tikka T3x Lite 7mm RemMag which sits in a Manners MCS T4. Combo weighs maybe 8 pounds. I've taken that rifle to the desert shooting steel 60-80 rounds of 3000fps 168gr bullets in a day no problem at all.

Reactions: memtb
The 1” Pachmayr Decelerators are fantastic. That’s what’s on my T2A GAP. I shot 200 rounds of 225gr out of my 338 Sherman Short Mag in one day with it (ballistically identical to 338 Win Mag). I also had a 338 Edge barrel for it that I shot 60 rounds of 285gr in one setting. No sweat. I sold that barrel and am building one in 375 RUM to shoot 365gr with the same stock. The stock design and recoil pad combo are excellent, especially when combined with a suppressor or brake.

Reactions: Nathantc and memtb
The limbsavers are really comfy, but they did definitely have a problem with them melting. I've got one on my counter right now I pulled off a rifle waiting to go in the trash. I hear they made some changes to the formula, or had received some bad material at one point.

• Sad
Reactions: memtb and Nathantc
when you need the extra support and don't want to compromise on quality and comfort .
1697359244396.jpeg

or you could use a LimbSaver Protective Shooting Pad , Black for lesser men
1697359314446.jpeg

Limbsaver.

For shotguns the Beretta with kick-off stock is pretty bad ass.
I was surprised even the silly rubber inserts in the plastic stock actually work on my supernova. Noticably less recoil compared to the nova.

Reactions: Krazy_jim
I've seen Limbsaver products "melt", though not specifically recoil pads. I've had no such issues with Kick-Eze pads.(?) It is a good idea to store any soft pad muzzle down, otherwise they will start to stay compressed. That's true of any recoil pad really, but obviously the really soft ones show it sooner.

Strictly speaking, any wood stocked firearm is better stored muzzle down, keeping oils and solvents out of the wood. (of course you have to tale precautions with the crown/muzzle being damaged or rusting.) Even though I have a couple old rifles that have suffered this fate, some horribly so ruing the stock at the wrist, I generally don't store them muzzle down, just a couple with thick soft pads.

Last edited:
my favorite shoulder pad is a suppressor, then a muzzle brake. you're welcome.

Reactions: Basit
Kick-Eze pads
I've seen Limbsaver products "melt", though not specifically recoil pads. I've had no such issues with Kick-Eze pads.(?) It is a good idea to store any soft pad muzzle down, otherwise they will start to stay compressed. That's true of any recoil pad really, but obviously the really soft ones show it sooner.

Strictly speaking, any wood stocked firearm is better stored muzzle down, keeping oils and solvents out of the wood. (of course you have to tale precautions with the crown/muzzle being damaged or rusting.) Even though I have a couple old rifles that have suffered this fate, some horribly so ruing the stock at the wrist, I generally don't store them muzzle down, just a couple with thick soft pads.
Kick-Eze pads are good, do agree. Better than Limbsaver.