• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best red dot for AR platform

rady

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Sep 16, 2020
I know this has been asked b4, but with technology advances things are always changing, so here goes.

Looking for a r.dot that hopefully has addressed the issue of rain, mist that can screw things up. $$ is not the main issue. Function and reliability for the AR are the most important features that I'm looking for.

Thanks for your assistance..................

I would second the Aimpoint suggestion. They are not the least expensive units, but they just work. Buy once, cry once...

Reactions: camocorvette
Haven't really had mine all that long but the Triji MRO came pretty highly recommended so that's what I put on my 300BLK pistol.
300blkWcan.jpg

Aimpoint checks every box for what you want in a hard use red dot.

I haven’t used one but I’ve seen a lot of complaints on parallax error from the MRO. Enough that I took it out of my consideration set when I recently needed another sight.

EoTec 5xx/XPS/EXPS, Aimpoint T/H/PRO/CCO/Whatever, MRO. Whatever. I've used all them for work where things matter. They're all fine and will do what you wanna do.

Pick one and shoot 2-3k rounds in a bunch of training and weapons handling practice so you're not a Muppet. Indexing the stock in your shoulder at the exact same spot every time, mag changes, etc until you can do it in the dark, or without light/until you can't get it wrong. You'll be lightyears ahead of most everyone else who trains/practices just until they get it right.

Reactions: camocorvette
I dropped an aimpoint onto concrete once, landed directly on the switch. Shrugged it off like nothing happened. Also left the same unit switched on for 4 years, pulled it out the case and it was still lit up. Works for me.

Aimpoint checks every box for what you want in a hard use red dot.

I haven’t used one but I’ve seen a lot of complaints on parallax error from the MRO. Enough that I took it out of my consideration set when I recently needed another sight.
Have 2 mros first one is equivalent almost to aimpoint the second one had parallex issues, sent it back to Trijicon and they sent me a new one, same thing. I put the second one on an ar22 plinker. They are tough, work well with nv but aimpoint is just a little bit better

Aimpoint. Pick the one that floats your boat. I like the PRO. I prefer it to my T1 but they both work great. Battle proven and few complaints.

sro, for the lack of sight obstruction

Some quedtions:
Do you need NV capability?
Do you need magnification?
Do you have a maximum weight?
What is your price range?
How far do you want to shoot?
A illuminated lpvo or a fixed magnification sight with a small red dot combo is another option. I like the Steiner 532 /mrs over the acog/rmr. Most carbine red dots have limited range, and even with a magnifier, the dot becomes useless past 200 yards, because the magnifier distorts it.

Thanks for all of the responses. I'm kinda surprised that no one mentioned the Sig Romeo series? I tend to favor the larger MOA dot (4-6) range from the suggestions made. Is there a flaw in that thinking? Older eyes.

I'll be using for 100-200 yd. range w/o nv.

Last edited:
Only experience is with a PRO and I have been very impressed.

Unsure how the cost of something higher end from Aimpoint can improve on what the PRO gives at reasonable cost.

I have a PRO on the issue work rifle and use a TA-33 on my personal rifle.

Experience with the PRO is to 100 yards and whacking steel is fast and easy even when on all fours shooting a bottom loophole.

The TA-33 has been used to 300 where it was literally hit or miss but the plates were scared while from about 250 in it was fast and solid, allowing a bit more mag. Would prefer a chevron to the horseshow which is what I bought used here in the PX.

Reactions: rady
Thanks for all of the responses. I'm kinda surprised that no one mentioned the Sig Romeo series? I tend to favor the larger MOA dot (4-6) range from the suggestions made. Is there a flaw in that thinking? Older eyes.

I personally don't do Chinese red dots as Sig Romeo dots are made in the Holosun factory. Everyone has their thing about that. All the reviews say the Romeo dots are good to go, etc. It's your money. I prefer to spend my weapons-allocated money on non-chy-nuh made stuff, even if I have to wait a bit longer to save more.

Edit to add:

In addition to what I said above, you originally asked for "the best red dot". That's why I recommended EoTech, Aimpoint, Trijicon. They all have their strong points and drawbacks if you nitpick...but you can't go wrong with any of them.

Last edited:
If cost isn’t an issue aimpoint, but I have more than a few sig Romeo 5’s and vortex’s I haven’t been able to break for a third of the price. I’ve been amazed for years on how durable and reliable they are for the cost.

If it doesn't automatically adjust for light conditions I wouldn't put it on my battle rifle. In my opinion the most legit combat sight I ever came across was the Trijicon Reflex(other than old iron sights)
I believe they're a few generations in since I used one. They're fiber optic and over built, I believe they've had battery assist for awhile. The originals were all fiber optic I believe.

As others have said, you really can't go wrong with an Aimpoint if you have the $$$. Nothing wrong with either Sig or Holosun if you are on a budget.

I also own two Trijicon MRO's which I personally like for a couple of reasons:

1. Has large FOV, which I prefer to some of the smaller red dots which feel like your looking through a straw.

2. I like the way the controls are laid out.

3. I have a slight astigmatism and for whatever reason the red dot works better on the MRO than other red dots.

4. It's a Trijicon, so you can have some confidence that it's pretty rugged.

5. Not as pricey as Aimpoint.

However, there are at least two things I'm not crazy about:

1. I find there is significant parallax error. Like 3-4" at 50 yards between red dot in center and red dot in lower quarter of FOV.

2. Would be better if there were more adjustments. If I'm using dot to shoot at distance or for precision I try to keep it as dim as possible, yet still visible. With MRO I find that if the dot is too bright and I adjust it down to next lowest setting it's now too dim.

You asked for the best and the aimpoint is the most well proven, dependable, durable red dot with exceptionally clear glass. It is the best.

If it doesn't automatically adjust for light conditions I wouldn't put it on my battle rifle. In my opinion the most legit combat sight I ever came across was the Trijicon Reflex(other than old iron sights)
I believe they're a few generations in since I used one. They're fiber optic and over built, I believe they've had battery assist for awhile. The originals were all fiber optic I believe.

They stopped making the srs because they had issues and the "auto brightness" rarely got it correct. Even the acogs people are putting tape and stuff over the fiber optic because of blooming. I've never been a fan of automatic brightness on anything, even stuff like phones. I feel like it's almost never at where I'd actually adjust it to.

They stopped making the srs because they had issues and the "auto brightness" rarely got it correct. Even the acogs people are putting tape and stuff over the fiber optic because of blooming. I've never been a fan of automatic brightness on anything, even stuff like phones. I feel like it's almost never at where I'd actually adjust it to.
My choice would be this, and always use buis.
I remember using an EO-Tech Holo sight or an AimPoint and going from sunny outside to a dark house and getting a blinding red orb burning into my retina. Vice versa going from dark environments to light and having no sight. The electronic sights are nice at the range but I never liked dealing with constantly adjusting the reticle in a operational environment. There was just too many other things going on to be tweaking little buttons.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210924-091019_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210924-091019_Chrome.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 219
Last year I purchased my first ever red dot for any weapon system. I know myself enough to know that I need to try something out first, to find out what I do and don't like, so that I can eventually buy the 'correct' one that checks all of the boxes. To that end, I bought a Holosun 510C to keep the price down, figuring I would probably replace it later.

I have 3K rounds through the rifle now and have taken two carbine classes where the rifles were slammed into barricades, thrown onto the floor when empty, and generally abused, and I'm still really fond of this thing. It has held zero just fine despite the dings and scratches, the auto-brightness setting is very good and I haven't needed to manually set brightness, it works without a battery at all [even indoors] because of the solar panel, and with the shake-awake and auto-off feature I never touch the damn thing. The battery compartment is accessible without removing the optic from the gun, so no zero-shifting issues during a battery change either.

I'm not a fan of things made in China, at all. I literally thought I'd be selling this off to one of my two brother-in-laws within a few months or a year and then buying a 'real' optic. But dammit, this thing has been fabulous and will stay here until it breaks or something.

Reactions: rdog52
I had a T2 that I ran for a while, switched it to a CompM5, to try out. Liked the layout of the CompM5 better, I couldn’t tell a difference in glass quality between the 2. You can’t go wrong from those 2 as far as I’m concerned. The SRO is too small in my opinion for an AR - I do use it on my pistol and it’s awesome.

I wanted to try a Holosun 510C, went with it in green and I’m impressed, like that I can have a dot, circle, or both at the same time. I have that on my 9mm PCC... may not hold up to rain though as it’s open, haven’t tried.

As far as red dots, I still use some older Aimpoint Comp M4S optics. While the trend is to go smaller and save some weight, these still work fine for me.
07FBBBD9-950B-44FF-B2ED-14BFA34077D3.jpeg

I personally don't do Chinese red dots as Sig Romeo dots are made in the Holosun factory. Everyone has their thing about that. All the reviews say the Romeo dots are good to go, etc. It's your money. I prefer to spend my weapons-allocated money on non-chy-nuh made stuff, even if I have to wait a bit longer to save more.

Edit to add:

In addition to what I said above, you originally asked for "the best red dot". That's why I recommended EoTech, Aimpoint, Trijicon. They all have their strong points and drawbacks if you nitpick...but you can't go wrong with any of them.
You bring up a good point about buying the commie crap. Sometimes it is a little difficult to sort it all out.

I have sent an EOTech back twice a vortex once and tossed a few other red dot sight's the trash . My aim point pro lives on my 458 socom ( I have hog issue's sometimes .) I change the battery every three years life's good .on a side note I have beat the crap out of a c-more sight that lives on my ak .the down side is the battery life pale's in comparison to the aim point .

I have an Aimpoint CompM4 that I'm happy with. Very durable and does the job well.

I have a Sig Romeo red dot on another rifle. I only paid $50 for it (bought from a friend). Seems to work well.

Seems Eoteck has fallen out of favor?
I have two of them on sbr's and have not missed a lick.