• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best Rem. 700 Clone?

916dude!

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 4, 2009
Sacramento,CA
I want to build another rifle. I'm thinking about using an AI AICS. Not set in stone yet on that part. I am looking at some remy cloneS and would like to have your guys' input on the best action, pros, and cons of each. Price isn't of huge importance. Plus, no matterwhat the cost, this will be a truely used and abused tac rifle! No safe queen! I was looking at-
-surgeon
-BAT Machine
-Lawton
- defiance machine Templar (GAP)
-stiller
-whatever else you guys suggest!

Re: Best Rem. 700 Clone?

The BAT VR and VRPIC are awsome. I own them both. The VR comes polished with a integrated lug but no integrated rail. The VRPIC comes With a beadblast finish with a integrated lug and rail. I have to say I kinda favor the looks of the VRPIC.

You will not find a smoother or tighter acton. The only thing that bothers me is the size of the bolt knob. But that can always be changed. Will it seize up if I poor sand on the bolt lugs? Maybe, but again a trued remmy ar any other lapped action probably would also. So I'm not sure about the whole staying away from tight tolerances thing.

The thing is that once you own a BAT you really don't want to treat it like dirt. Its kinda like throwng around the Mona Lisa.

I dont see many of the VR's around for some reason. Alot of people use Surgion or a TAC 30.

Out of what you listed i would personally choose the Defiance actions. The tigther tolerances that an action has will decide the amount of "shit" the action can handle and still function reliably. If your idea of abuse and mine are the same, id go with a Defiance or plane jane trued Rem 700

Anything Glen Harrison builds. Glen is Defiance Machine and was the founder and owner of Nesika Bay. He builds actions for GAP, LA Precision,and several others. I own several Nisika Bay actions with the Bordon Bump and they are fantastic. Glen is also a great guy to deal with. I also have Surgeon RSR and given the price point and quality, if you don't already have a Remmy action ready to blueprint, buy an RSR. My most recent dealing with Surgeon was in November when they made a commitment to get an action to me before Christmas. They called in mid December to tell me that they had equipment problems and while they would try to meet the Christmas commitment it would likely be mid-January. I find it rare that anyone calls these days to tell you they are going to miss a commitment, however, Surgeon thinks enough of their customers to keep them in the loop. As it turned out my local FFL holder called on Christmas eve to let me know that my Surgeon action was in. Each of the actions you mentioned have great reputations and I have owned most. The reason I support Defiance Machine and Surgeon so strongly is because I have had personal experience with the manufacture of these actions and I find both their products and customer service to be outstanding.

I own two Lawton actions and they are both awesome, but having said that, I dont know that I would buy another. Barney was the heart of that company. The Bat VRPIC is truly one of the finest actions I have ever seen, but I agree with 0311 that they might be too tight for a "get dirty and keep shootin" gun. Had a few guys come through a sniper school with rifles built on stiller actions (all three were brand new). The bolt stop is the weak link on that action, had one fail and the other two were headed that way. Have no experience with the others but would listen to 0311 as he knows his shit. It is still pretty hard to beat a blueprinted 700 action for durability and reliability. All just my opinion of course.

I read in another thread that you could order a BAT with "looser" tolerances for tactical applications if you want to go that route.

I have heard of conflicting reports that BAT would open up their actions for a little more tolerances for field use. But out of all the actions I have every played with, I would probably say a BAT or Big Horn Arms action.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deadly0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Out of what you listed i would personally choose the Defiance actions. The tigther tolerances that an action has will decide the amount of "shit" the action can handle and still function reliably. If your idea of abuse and mine are the same, id go with a Defiance or plane jane trued Rem 700 </div></div>

+1

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The GAP/Defiance system. I mean a one piece bolt? How much stronger can you get? </div></div>

+1.....a one piece bolt is huge to me. I've seen more that one R700 bolt handle break off out in the field. One less thing you you have to worry about.