• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best Replica scopes?

ArcticLight

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 27, 2003
Silverdale, WA
I've been looking for replica scopes and I see that a lot are made in the Ukraine.

Anyone have xperience with that?

I'd rather have one from the Ukraine than one from China.

Re: Best Replica scopes?

My mosin PU scope is a russian VOMZ scope that can be found through Kalinka. I don't know (but suspect) that it was made pre-91 where the Ukraine is now. It's super solid and helps me put easy 1.75-2.5" groups through my Izmash mosin with surplus ammo and the mosin's truly crappy trigger.

The downside of these older scopes is that in order to get the reticle on target and centered in the glass, you have to shim/shave it at the base plate. I used little slivers of silver solder to shim it, and it's super solid.

Another downside of the PU scope is that it does not allow for rapid stripper-clip reloading (or at least I haven't found a trick to make it work).

Still, the rifle looks "right" with a PU scope, it's more than functional, and it replicates a great piece of world history. Also, for all of you who played the original Medal of Honor, you'll recognize the unique reticle. It's fun to shoot, but kicks like a bear - oddly enough, more so than my brother's EDM .50.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PolsVoice</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My mosin PU scope is a russian VOMZ scope that can be found through Kalinka. I don't know (but suspect) that it was made pre-91 where the Ukraine is now. It's super solid and helps me put easy 1.75-2.5" groups through my Izmash mosin with surplus ammo and the mosin's truly crappy trigger.

The downside of these older scopes is that in order to get the reticle on target and centered in the glass, you have to shim/shave it at the base plate. I used little slivers of silver solder to shim it, and it's super solid.

Another downside of the PU scope is that it does not allow for rapid stripper-clip reloading (or at least I haven't found a trick to make it work).

Still, the rifle looks "right" with a PU scope, it's more than functional, and it replicates a great piece of world history. Also, for all of you who played the original Medal of Honor, you'll recognize the unique reticle. It's fun to shoot, but kicks like a bear - oddly enough, more so than my brother's EDM .50. </div></div>

+1 Also, JG Sales sells M91/30s with the reproduction scope/mount already installed. About $500 once you factor in shipping and FFL transfer fee. Not bad, considering the cost of the parts. In my opinion, the PU is the only way to scope a Mosin. Anything else is just criminal. Love the MoH comment.

Zielvier makes repros of the ZF39. They're made in Jena, Germany, and are so marked. From what I've heard, they're pretty decent. I thing they go for around $350 including the mount. For the base I'd check Accumounts.com.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bpnelson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Zielvier makes repros of the ZF39. They're made in Jena, Germany, and are so marked. From what I've heard, they're pretty decent. I thing they go for around $350 including the mount. For the base I'd check Accumounts.com. </div></div>

There's a few guys on e-bay selling Zeiss Zielvier Jena ZF39's - so those are NOT real? (They look old!!!)

I've been looking at originals for about $550 but they have the rings towards the back, and probably ring marks under them (hate to remove them and have that show)

The Zielvier's essentially are ZF39s. They're made to the same plans and specs as the original ZF39s. Sort of like an SWFA Super Sniper versus an old Tasco Super Sniper. Not technically the same, but pretty much identical in every way.

The Zena ones look old intentionally to preserve the appearance of an original. I've never seen an original ZF39 from WWII to go for under $600--and that doesn't include the mount and base. The Zena replicas are about $450 for everything.

Can ya point me to one that you have info on?

I'm reading some real war stories about the quality of other brands.

The guy on e-bay in Germany is selling these as ww2 Zielviers...

and he's asking $600 for them. Not sure if they are the real deal or not..

aha...gotcha!

Thanks! Now I know the guy that wants $600 for them on e-bay is selling originals.

Do any knock-offs claim teh Carl Zeiss that you are aware of?

Not that I know of. As far as I know, the ONLY remakes are the ones that you see on ebay. They're made in Ukraine. They're made to the same specs as the originals, so if you're going for looks and function only, I'd say go for it. But if you want a genuine K98 sniper, then I'd go with the correctly marked originals.

Some of the "Originals" that guy in Germany is selling have the Carl Zeiss opposite of the pic you showed, but it does say Carl Zeiss - not sure if that was normal or Ukranian. Hate to spend $750 on a Russian copy.

As far as I know it doesn't matter on the upper or lower location. If you're going ebay, just make sure it's from a 100% positive feedback guy. It's a very, VERY small chance that he'll rip you off.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bpnelson</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PolsVoice</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My mosin PU scope is a russian VOMZ scope that can be found through Kalinka. I don't know (but suspect) that it was made pre-91 where the Ukraine is now. It's super solid and helps me put easy 1.75-2.5" groups through my Izmash mosin with surplus ammo and the mosin's truly crappy trigger.

Still, the rifle looks "right" with a PU scope, it's more than functional, and it replicates a great piece of world history. Also, for all of you who played the original Medal of Honor, you'll recognize the unique reticle. It's fun to shoot, but kicks like a bear - oddly enough, more so than my brother's EDM .50. </div></div>

+1 Also, JG Sales sells M91/30s with the reproduction scope/mount already installed. About $500 once you factor in shipping and FFL transfer fee. Not bad, considering the cost of the parts. In my opinion, the PU is the only way to scope a Mosin. Anything else is just criminal. Love the MoH comment. </div></div>

I bought a MN Sniper with the replica PE scope when they first came out (already have an original PU Sniper) and have been very satified with it. More so the the PU scope.