• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best Return To Zero Mount?

mluning

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 4, 2007
Houston Texas USA
I'm looking to switch between an Aimpoint T-1 and a 1-4 setup and looking for mounts that repeatedly to return to zero.

Re: Best Return To Zero Mount?

if Larue makes one for you scope I would buy it....and I think they do. I have one on my AR and it is awesome

I would go with something that will not damage your rail like a ADM or Bobro both in which I have used and tested and yes they return to zero. I used to own Larue mounts until I found something better. ADM is great and so is BOBRO and I have delt with all three and LArue was on the bottom of the three.

Go to A.R.M.S. Inc., they produce some of the best if not the best mounts made. They started out doing these and have an impecable reputation. Also GG&G is doing some fine mounts now.

Between American Defense and Bobro, which do you prefer and why? And how do these not damage rails and the Larue does?

I'd strongly recommend you take a look at the ADM Mounts: ADM Scope Mounts I have my Vortex Viper PST 1-4 mounted on a BCM middy with an AD Recon. Love it! (mount and scope)

Nothing wrong with Larue, I have Larue mounts too...but I really like the clamping system on the ADM, it is very secure and it won't mark your rails like the Larue. BTW: LL did a very favorable review (you may want to search for it), I believe he found it to be the best return to zero.

Lowlight spoke highly about GDI mounts for the best return to zero that he has tested/tried out.
I remember a test he put on video and had it up for us to see.
There was some drama with Larue over Lowlights observations. Needless to say Larue didn't take it very well and behaved kinda child-like.
I like Larue stuff also and use some of his mounts but after his rant, he soured some people on this site.
I'll get the web site up in a sec.
.....SmokeRolls

I have had good luck with Larue also. I probably will try a Bobro or ADM. Larues' do put a small mark on the underside of the rail. No real biggie to me, as my guns are not safe queens in a Miss America pagent. They get a scratch here and there from use. If it wasn't for snipershide I A: would have never known there was a mark. B: also not known there where other options. You could also look at the AADMOUNT but it is not QD.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downrange1x</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Go to A.R.M.S. Inc., they produce some of the best if not the best mounts made. They started out doing these and have an impecable reputation. Also GG&G is doing some fine mounts now. </div></div>

ARMS has a impecable reputation now?

the only reputation ARMS has is making a weak piece of shit mount....ARMS is garbage..

bench

I have never had an ADM mount.

I have used ARMs a couple of times and wont buy them anymore.

I use a bunch of LaRue gear and they are excellent. The marring of the rail is silly IMO. About like stressing over ring marks. (To top it off, it is overstated, in my opinion. I have had a bunch of LaRue QD's and have never even noticed any marring at all)

I recently bought my first Bobro mount and have not really used it much yet, but can say I do really like the quality and fit and finish. The mounting system is different, and I havent tested the RTZ, but they are supposed to work well. They are quite pricey though, and I dont think I would pay the extra again, because the LaRue is not only more proven, but it works perfectly is finished just as well, and cost less than the Bobro I bought.

I cant say positively, but I dont think there is any RTZ mount that has been more thoroughly tested than LaRue.

There is documentation somewhere online from .mil testing (IIRC) of one of the LaRue mounts being removed/reinstalled literally dozens of times with virtually no POI shift. Quite impressive.

LaRue's support of our boys overseas is the kicker. Great product and great service in my experience.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: strangedays</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tango 396</div><div class="ubbcode-body">if Larue makes one for you scope I would buy it....and I think they do. I have one on my AR and it is awesome </div></div>
Larue is an asshole. The mounts are no longer that great. I would go with something that will not damage your rail like a ADM or Bobro both in which I have used and tested and yes they return to zero. I used to own Larue mounts until I found something better. I e-mailed Mark Larue to say his mounts damage rails and he told me to F*** off and called me an asshole and said how there is nothing out there that could do better and how there mounts are still by far the greatest out there. He also said he has spent hours with the Bobro and ADM mounts to compare how much better his mount is. So if we see a new mount that looks more like ADM or Bobro I think we all will know where he got the idea from. ADM is great and so is BOBRO and I have delt with all three and LArue was by far the biggest asshole I have delt with in the shooting world. </div></div>

LOL. LaRue copying <span style="font-style: italic">them</span>? LOL.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: benchmstr</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downrange1x</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Go to A.R.M.S. Inc., they produce some of the best if not the best mounts made. They started out doing these and have an impecable reputation. Also GG&G is doing some fine mounts now. </div></div>

ARMS has a impecable reputation now?

the only reputation ARMS has is making a weak piece of shit mount....ARMS is garbage..

bench </div></div>
This is true, arms is shit. If I only could choose between arms and larue I would buy larue, even after everything.

I have read outstanding things about bobro.

I use American Defense QD mounts on all of my ARs and couldn't be happier. They return to zero everytime and are built like a tank. They are also very reasonably priced.

Bobro or ADM...pick one and you'll be happy either way. Both are extremely high quality, RTZ, won't damage your receiver/rails, and are made by excellent companies dedicated to top notch products and CS.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downrange1x</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Go to A.R.M.S. Inc., they produce some of the best if not the best mounts made. They started out doing these and have an impecable reputation. Also GG&G is doing some fine mounts now. </div></div>

ARMS mounts are outdated. THere are smaller less clunky mounts that actually return to zero out now.

I've tried them all but Bobro and would recommend ADM.

Anyone running a T1 on the ADM mount want to chime in? Is the t1 socom mount a 1/3 lower witness?

Are the GDI Mounts available yet? (other than the ACOG and T1)

I've used LaRue, American Defense, and Bobro.

I like the Bobro best for return-to-zero and ease of on-off.

Here's an example at 200 yards, removing the scope with Bobro mount in between groups:

68AR010Medium.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Drifter_1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
68AR010Medium.jpg
</div></div>

What are the specs on your 6.8 SPC build?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: B. Melick</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

What are the specs on your 6.8 SPC build? </div></div>

That particular one was a Noveske Rogue Hunter 16" barrel in a Mega monolithic upper.

ar68035Medium.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: stungib</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone running a T1 on the ADM mount want to chime in? Is the t1 socom mount a 1/3 lower witness? </div></div>

RTZ's every single time, has ADM's amazing QC and QS, that was good enough to sell me on it a yr. or two when I picked it up.

qsv5ow.jpg

The Recon X's and Scout X's are equally impressive and after years of running them never lost a zero and I dismount and mount regularly.

nysdw9.jpg

I've always liked Larue; great stuff, and they have always treated me right. I have taken my scope off several times while cleaning, and it is always right on. The marks to my receivers didn't really bother me, then again my rifles aren't exactly safe queens.

I recently decided to switch to a Nightforce unimount, for the built in 20 moa, but that one is not quick release either. I haven't had a chance to test its repeatable return to zero.

I have only had experience with LaRue and Bobro. Both are great mounts and you cannot go wrong with either.

As far as any "marring" goes with LaRue, I haven't noticed any on my rifles and they aren't in a beauty pagent so I really don't care much about it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jakhamr81</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've always liked Larue; great stuff, and they have always treated me right. I have taken my scope off several times while cleaning, and it is always right on. The marks to my receivers didn't really bother me, then again my rifles aren't exactly safe queens.

I recently decided to switch to a Nightforce unimount, for the built in 20 moa, but that one is not quick release either. I haven't had a chance to test its repeatable return to zero. </div></div>
The marring is not the issue on while I don't like them, the marring is a sign the mount is digging into the metel and it does this more and more after so many re-mounts. After a while the POI has changed (I found right around eight or ten times) The Larue Mount is great if you never have to take it off so why get a QD mount that won't hold zero in the "real world" use. Most of the guys who are LaRue fan boys don't really shoot their guns, remember Shanksters video
smile.gif

I have used larue mounts useing diffrent scopes for the task prezero hundreds of times on one weapon alone and never lost zero..

imagelwo.jpg

By asm1 at 2011-02-14

On/off/on/off zero is the same..
imageqg.jpg

By asm1

LaRue, Bobro and now ADM makes pretty good mounts. I had all three. When ADM first came out I wasn't that impressed with their mounts. The machining looked to be a bit off with a lot of sharp edges. Now they have radius most of the edges, but I am still not a big fan of the way it latches down to the rail. The LaRues are decent, I have never had a problem with any of their mounts. It's a older design and it works, but Mark should learn to STFU and stop letting his ego go to his head. Bobros IMO is the best mount that I have used so far. I like how it automatically adjust to each rail and the clean look of having all the nuts hidden and how you can adjust the screw to be a dead stop inside the mount. Only if they made a mount for a T1, all my mounts would Bobros.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Drifter_1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
That particular one was a Noveske Rogue Hunter 16" barrel in a Mega monolithic upper.

ar68035Medium.jpg
</div></div>

Nice 6.8 SPC build! How many deer or hogs or ? have you taken with it?

I dig the Bobro mount as well. Other than the price, the main gripe I have is that I cant get to one of the screws to torque it.

Overall, I still say LaRue is the best thing going. Especially since it is cheaper than the Bobro, and I know LaRue's CS is great. Hopefully Bobro will turn out the same, but I havent ever dealt with them.

Simple trick for the screws. Tighten just enough to position your optic. Take it off the rifle. Remove the base, torque the screws and than re-attach everything. A bit more work but easier way to get at the screws.

I've used and owned all three. These are my experiences with all three.

Larue - very well made. I'm just not crazy about the system. If you adjust the levers as instructed, it should not mar your rails. Or not much, anyway. My problem with them was that when adjusted according to instructions, they aren't all that hard to get off. From the perspective of the guy that only takes his rifle to the range or light hiking, it might be a good thing. Maybe even the guy that is using it on his gaming gun, it could be a good thing. Personally, I don't see how so many of those mounts have "gone to war" and received such good reviews. I had my ACOG TA44 mounted in a Larue mount. going from one location to another, we all threw of our rifles in the back of my truck and took off. The only thing I can figure is that in the bumping around in the back, a sling or something from another rifle caught the safety catch on the Larue mount, pulled it out of position and opened the lever. When we got to where we were going, I just pulled my rifle out of the back and slung it like I always do, without paying much attention. My ACOG fell off and hit my boot. If it hadn't hit my boot, I may not have noticed it. That's the last time I used a Larue. Of course, I don't know how likely this is to happen to most, but of course, it happened to me.

American Defense - also well built. I think that the Larue probably shows a bit more refinement that's hard to articulate. I might just be that the Larue "feels" more solid when handling it. In use, I prefer the ADM mount. When adjusted according to instructions, you have to press hard to get the levers closed; and, as you may have guessed, getting them open isn't easy. I typically use a length of shoe lace that I keep on my bench, or just the hem of my T-shirt (in the field) to get the levers loose to remove the mount. The upside is that it does return to zero and what happened with the Larue mount isn't likely to happen with the ADM. Just keep in mind that if you don't adjust them as instructed (too loose) what happened with the Larue can and will happen. The upside is that you really can't over tighten the levers. If they are too tight, you won't get the levers closed. It also won't mark up your upper. If you're interested in ADM, check out smartgunner.com (especially on gunbroker).

Bobro - serious piece of engineering. No adjusting to mess with and always returned to zero. It was just too wide at the base for my tastes and my reasons for not sticking with the Bobro was probably more aesthetic than anything else. A note on these that you should keep in mind. Trijicon is/was using the Bobro as their chosen mounts. If you are interested, do a search for Trijicon mounts. You can get the Trijicon branded Bobro mounts for less money and they are the same thing.

Since they all do what they are supposed to, that is return to zero, take your pick. Lots of guys take criticism of Larue products personally, so you have to take many of the comments with a grain of salt. If you can, check them all out.

Also keep your options open. If you don't need a cantilever mount, at least a few manufacturers make ultra high rings for use on ARs and they come in quick detach versions. One that comes to mind is Warne.

Other than one set of 22 rings, all the ARMS stuff I have had has held zero great as long as you don't go swapping them around on everything. It isn't a self adjusting system like the Bobro.
Never had a problem with LaRue, the adjustable levers really work. Mar the rail, big deal! The separate rings may have to be pretty tight.
ADM is great, had one mount that seemed too loose on one setting, too tight on the other. Went with tight and it took the proper set and is perfect.
I like my Nightforce and USO mounts, no they are not QD, but just how long does it take with a T-Handle Seekonic?
And I haven't had any problems with the knurled nut on some of the USO or Trijicon ACOG bases. Just be prepared to spend 25 cents (bend a quarter) instead pf using a torque wrench.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: strangedays</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jakhamr81</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've always liked Larue; great stuff, and they have always treated me right. I have taken my scope off several times while cleaning, and it is always right on. The marks to my receivers didn't really bother me, then again my rifles aren't exactly safe queens.

I recently decided to switch to a Nightforce unimount, for the built in 20 moa, but that one is not quick release either. I haven't had a chance to test its repeatable return to zero. </div></div>
The marring is not the issue on while I don't like them, the marring is a signe the mount is digging into the metel and it does this more and more after so many re-mounts. After a while the POI has changed (I found right around eight or ten times) The Larue Mount is great if you never have to take it off so why get a QD mount that won't hold zero in the "real world" use. Most of the guys who are LaRue fan boys don't really shoot their guns, remember Shanksters video
smile.gif
</div></div>

You're right, I just make believe I am shooting.

I just switched out ARMs 22 rings to a KAC unimount on my MOD 0. This mount "snaped" onto the picatinny slots with absolutly no movement back and forth before tightening. Even my NF unimounts and badger rings dont do that. I have high hopes that it returns to zero with consistancy, hopefully I can try it this week.

I didn't see the Nightforce uni-mount listed on here, but it is the best I've owned.

I like the Larue mount I have, but think if you can find the ADM or Bobro (Trijicon) mounts for less you should go for one of them as they are all equals.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: B. Melick</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Drifter_1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

</div></div>

Nice 6.8 SPC build! How many deer or hogs or ? have you taken with it? </div></div>

Thanks. I've used the 6.8 to take several deer, but no hogs in my area (yet). The cartridge works better than you might think.

While I don't have a real preference, I did use a Larue QD ring set for a long range rifle class at Gunsite where the optic came off every afternoon and back on the next morning every day for a week with no change in zero.

Last set of Rings I bought were Nightforce, but that was because I couldn't find a set of QD rings I wanted in the right height.

I don't think there's anything wrong with the Larue mounts and they provide top notch customer service. With that said, I find the LT forums on arfcom annoying as hell, but that has more to do with the "pack" than it does with Mark, his staff, or his products.

The "pack" seems more interested in bottle openers and smelling Mark's farts, than they do real range results. Again, that isn't Mark's fault.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Flynn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't think there's anything wrong with the Larue mounts and they provide top notch customer service. With that said, I find the LT forums on arfcom annoying as hell, but that has more to do with the "pack" than it does with Mark, his staff, or his products.

The "pack" seems more interested in bottle openers and smelling Mark's farts, than they do real range results. Again, that isn't Mark's fault. </div></div>
Than you must choose to ignore Mark himself. He likes smelling his own farts but that does not seem to happen to much anymore with his head so far up his own ass.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: strangedays</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Flynn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't think there's anything wrong with the Larue mounts and they provide top notch customer service. With that said, I find the LT forums on arfcom annoying as hell, but that has more to do with the "pack" than it does with Mark, his staff, or his products.

The "pack" seems more interested in bottle openers and smelling Mark's farts, than they do real range results. Again, that isn't Mark's fault. </div></div>
Than you must choose to ignore Mark himself. He likes smelling his own farts but that does not seem to happen to much anymore with his head so far up his own ass. </div></div>

You talk like you found out he's been screwing your wife/gf. What's the beef?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: strangedays</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Flynn</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: strangedays</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Flynn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't think there's anything wrong with the Larue mounts and they provide top notch customer service. With that said, I find the LT forums on arfcom annoying as hell, but that has more to do with the "pack" than it does with Mark, his staff, or his products.

Than you must choose to ignore Mark himself. He likes smelling his own farts but that does not seem to happen to much anymore with his head so far up his own ass. </div></div>
You talk like you found out he's been screwing your wife/gf. What's the beef? </div></div>
No he isn't into women so no problem there
smile.gif

He did call me an asshole does that count
smile.gif
maybe I deserved it but he has an ego the size of Texas and does not know when to shut up and build something better. Plus I have yet to know of anyone who has yet to say he has great CS why is it that everyone has had to use his CS? Are that many items really going back?

</div></div>

You're saying that you have yet to know anyone who would agree they have good CS?

I think you are a little too fragile if being called an asshole gets to you that much. I have many products from many different manufacturers including LT and I don't think that any one manuf. is the one stop for everything you need. With that being said, if I manufactured quality products and made a good living at it, I would be very proud of my company and have an ego as well...who wouldn't. You should be proud of and take pride in your company and work no matter what you do for a living.

I'm confused whether or not you know or don't know of anyone that has utilized his CS but from the time you first place an order with any company, they are providing customer service. It could be the people who pull internet orders, answer phones, package orders, package special orders or requests, etc. Using customer service doesn't necessarily mean you have had a bad experience with a product per say.

Well, out of all the orders I've had with Larue (including 2 complete rifles). I've had one CS interaction and that was a serious problem with one of my larger items. It resulted in talking with 3 senior members of the staff including Mark himself (all initiated by them) and someone driving to Austin on a Saturday to next day a replacement to me (again..their idea, I was fine with ground shipped sometime the next week).

Yes the Kool-Aid flows a little thick on that board for my tastes, and nothing Mark (much less anyone else) will ever do or say there will diminish their opinion of him. But with that one exception I've had no issues with any of my Larue products, so yes their CS is exceptional and by in large so are their products.

And if you hadn't already noticed, your email to them got posted over there (as well as the response), you didn't exactly come off well in the exchange either.

[/quote]

You're saying that you have yet to know anyone who would agree they have good CS? [/quote]
No I know people get good CS from them. I have seen Mark get all pissed and act like a child instead of a business owner. I have had issues with some of my Larue mounts that had to be sent in to be repaired. I was saying that there is allot of people who have to use their CS because their products are not the greatest.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: strangedays</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
</div></div>

You're saying that you have yet to know anyone who would agree they have good CS? [/quote]
No I know people get good CS from them. I have seen Mark get all pissed and act like a child instead of a business owner. I have had issues with some of my Larue mounts that had to be sent in to be repaired. I was saying that there is allot of people who have to use their CS because their products are not the greatest. [/quote]

Ok, it sounds as though your issue is with Mark and not his products/cs. if you don't like Mark, ok. A lot of people don't like me and I'm fine with that. This sounds personal and it's not fair to bash LT products because you don't like Mark. It's ok you don't like Mark, but the purpose of these forums is to provide <span style="font-weight: bold">OBJECTIVE</span>feedback!