• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best Rifle Rest to Evaluate AR Accuracy?

Afghanvet09

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 18, 2006
Holly Hill, SC
Opinions sought on the best rifle rest to evaluate AR accuracy. Want to try to separate the "biological component" from the testing as much as possible.

Re: Best Rifle Rest to Evaluate AR Accuracy?

Aside from letting a different, perhaps better "biological component" give it a whirl to remove any issues with your own bios, you can try Hyskore's "Black Gun" Machine rest, or if you are looking for more of a "budget-friendly" alternative, take a look at some of the nicer Caldwell lead-sled rests.

Dwood was thinking about small mechanical rest you could buy commerically. I've seen photos of those huge mechanical rests at benning they test M16's on, and seen some pic ones at pictatinny arsenal. Think it would be very imformative to know what my rifle would do without the human part of the shooting system.

But since you brought up bags and pack, would open it up to any suggestions from the group on how you build a steady rest for serious AR shooting (i.e., favorite bags, type filler used, etc..). Anybody?

Why do you need that level of isolation? Are you just testing one rifle or many?

I don't sell builds, so this would just be for my own personal rifles. Replacing my own rest soon, and looking around.

I'd think it would be very useful to know what MOA a rifle is capable of based on objective testing. It would be an extremely useful benchmark to then judge a shooter's abilities. Machine rests don't breathe, have beating hearts, and can remain perfectly still.

Personally, it was very useful for me to know as an instructor assisting in training foreign forces what the accuracy limitations of the M16 rifle/ammo combination was based on large sample testing and data I saw derived from such machines.

Sure, you pick this up also by real world by observation over time too, but it helped.

Well I personally think you'd be burning cash that was better spent on ammo since the info you seek is a known entity. The average M16 is <span style="font-style: italic">generally </span> a 1.5 - 2moa rifle assuming you're talking about issued rack grade weapons.

If you learn to call your shots you can guage accuracy without a rest then figure out why your performance isn't matching the rifle. Based on your video I'd say you should start with your grip...you're death-gripping the trigger with the second pad of your finger. You'll shank shots all day long with that technique even with a rest so you won't gain any useful info and you'll think your rifle is bent.

BA, thanks but I probably didn't explain myself well enough in the post. Not seeking the recommendations for commercial mech. rest because I'm having trouble shooting. Just looking for a more "scientific method" to evaluate accuracy in a straight forward, simple approach. I've used a range book, called and recorded shots, had a **spotter and all that. Good suggestions and approach for any shooter -agreed.

My AR isn't rack grade either (have SS barrel, got rid of the 8 lb trigger and replaced it with Geiselle SA, etc., etc., ), so unfortunately I can't relate my AR accuracy capabilities to issued service weapon. I'm all about brevity which is good, but in this case clearly I should have provided more info on my post, sorry. About my video, placement of the finger on the second pad is a taught AMU method. Tip of the finger is not the shortest arc. I haven't had a problem 'milking' or squeezing the pistol grip, but have seen it.

You are close about the accuracy of service issued M16 series weapon -but minus the ammo being used though. That will bump those numbers given up higher. Most instructors will attest M16 rack grade rifle M855 combo is actually ~ 3+ MOA

BTW, keysfisher link to Ransom long gun rest informative, thanks. Appreciated suggestions for all who responded. Video BA referred to is at my youtube link below "keys to good marksmanship."

**LOL - Reminded me of the first time I had some guy "put his leg over mine" spotting for me -and I had no idea what he was doing...
shocked.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Guard Marksman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLyms_gYMVY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bc1RPtNLxvA&feature=related

Check this Hyskore one out.

*Mods, please delete if my posting violates any TOS. Link to video relates to topic posts, thanks. </div></div>

That is the "Black Gun" rest that I originally recommended in my first post above. It is an excellent product, BUT...it is pretty expensive in comparison with other rests on the market at roughly $250. It just depends on what you feel is an acceptable cost and whether or not you really want/need the features of that rest compared to something a little less "mechanical."

ORD, yes it was your post I got that from. I don't know how the State at the local public range would feel about me drilling holes in their bench, either. I see where Midway has it for $250, it's pricey but 1/2 of the Ransom rifle rest. Wasn't there but this was I think this was at the Shot Show 2011 as a new product for that company.

I don't reload but for load development and knowing how unforgiving AR's are, seems like a good mechanical rest would be worthy of consideration if you are obsessed (like me).

The only thing you can do to get around the need for screwing it down to the benches at your local range would be to fix it to a sheet of plywood (or other suitable, 1pc material) and then use c-clamps to hold that fast to the bench tops at your range. You'll get some slight indentations on the benches, but you won't be drilling holes in them and you'll still be able to keep the rest tightened down firmly.

Be careful about securing your rifle down with clamps, as that puts a lot of stress on the rifle and could cause issues.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EmIYgyBDzY&feature=player_embedded

Look at the 3 sets of 5 shot groups using this set "bag rider" up with an AR rifle. Impressive. Somebody said the AR barrel was a Bartlein (unconfirmed). Will have to read more on the Caldwell Fire control thing he's got.

If your jumping in the middle of thread --seeking the best way to evaluate AR rifle's accuracy capabilities itself (i.e., not to learn to shoot, test the shooter's capabilities, etc). And this type of equipment obviously not for tactical use.

FWIW, Molon (as known on various forums) uses a Sinclair Windage Benchrest and Protektor rear bag but costs even more than the Hyskore.

Caldwell lead-sled rests is what a lot of guys use at our gun club. I'm sure they have ones that cost more money but these seem to be used a lot. I use a Caldwell tri pod for the front of my rifle and a generic sack to rest the stock on.

Hyskore machine rests look promising and one may be in my future for serious machine accuracy testing. This will aid me in ID'ing my dogs.

the Hyskore vise in the video doesnt clamp the rifle down, it really doesnt hold it any tighter than you would. as you can see the recoil still moves the rest and rifle in the video