• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best rimfire barrel maker?

Alderleet

NCOIC of Shitposts
Minuteman
Feb 12, 2010
Downrange
Hey all, I'm starting to make some semi-serious progress on my 77/22 Tac project.

However, I'm stuck at the barrel. I'm trying to decide between Shilen, Lilja, Volquartzen, and a Clark - Lothar Walther.

I've heard good reviews for all, but I'm not sure which would deliver the benchrest accuracy I'm looking for.

(the action is getting tuned by CPC in the future, so rule out any action comments that you might think of)

Anyway, I know they are all great barrels, but I plan to have a blued-Fluted 21" Bull barrel, threaded for my can.

Any wisdom, or should I just flip some coins?

Re: Best rimfire barrel maker?

if you are torn between those good barrels you should be thinking about a target action, the 77 22 is a nice general purpose rimfire receiver, but if you are looking for benchrest results start with an action that BR shooters use, rimfire central is a great resource

Getting in touch with benchmark is a pain in the ass. I *Know* where they are located in washington, but I'm not taking leave to go talk to them.

I'm taking Lilja off the list because they quoted a .920 match stainless bull 77/22 barrel over 400, without a threaded muzzle. WEAK...

So now its coming down to Shilen, Lothar Walther from clark, and a Vq. I might take VQ off because their muzzles come with a retarded thread pitch for their proprietary muzzle breaks. (M18x1 i think)

Anyway, I like the 77/22 action. It will be locked in and tweaked for performance. Granted, it wont be a Annie, but it'll atleast feel like a damn centerfire, which is the reason I'm using it.

And FWIW, my 40Xcalibur, which holds the STS record as well as the SH Rimfire 100, 200, and 50 yd tactical records, is built on a Krieger.

The truth is, barrels are the luck of the draw. Some just flat shoot and some don't. And it doesn't really correlate so much to manufacturer. It is just luck of the draw.

Personally, I would go with a stainless barrel and not flute it as you are taking away stiffness with the flutes. If you want to drop weight, you can cut the barrel down to 18", which is when a 22 is at max velocity, anyway. And 18" would go a lot better with a suppressor as well.

But this is your build and I am sure you have your reasons. I was considering all of these things at one point... customizing the Ruger. I ended up going another direction because by the time you drop all the cash into customization, you can get a better action and a McM stock and have close to the same price tag.

The advantage of the 77/22 is the mags, which are quite good.

Alderleet, I would seriously take some time and give Benchmark a call. They specialize in rimfire barrels. Call them and talk to Chris about what you are thinking and he will help you step by step. Plus I believe out of your list, they can get the barrel turned out quicker than the rest...

Volquartsen barrels can now be had in 1/2x28. Mine shoots very good but is a tensioned barrel.

I have two 77/22s with shilens. They seem to shoot all ammo well. I liked the first one so much I bought a second gun and set it up like the first but with a threaded muzzle. Initially I went with shilen because that is what midway had in stock, the second I considered nothing else. The second though cost just over $500 (ss varmint threaded with a thread protector)

<span style="color: #006600">Lothar Walther</span> does a lot of contract work making barrels for others, producing both factory installed and replacement barrels. So in some cases you're ending up with an L-W wearing somebody else's logo. I'm strongly suspicious that my exquisitely accurate Kimber 10/22 barrel was actually made by L-W.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="color: #006600">Lothar Walther</span> does a lot of contract work making barrels for others, producing both factory installed and replacement barrels. So in some cases you're ending up with an L-W wearing somebody else's logo. I'm strongly suspicious that my exquisitely accurate Kimber 10/22 barrel was actually made by L-W. </div></div>
They do make a lot of barrels under contract and many barrel makers use the L/W blanks. You can't go wrong with one if it is chambered well. The Volquartsens and Clark barrels are L/W blanks if I remember correctly.

I have several Lilja's on my rimfires and they all perform great. Are they the best out there? I don't know, but based on my experience with Dan and the barrels I wouldn't hesitate to order more.

Shilen pushed me to Dan Killough when I was exploring re-barreling my 40X. Killough suggested Broughton, just not sure it they have a ready to go 77/22 version.