• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best rimfire PRS scope

Jmeier1981

Private
Minuteman
May 31, 2022
Iowa
So I've been using a Athlon Cronus BTR gen2 but I'm looking to try something else.
I love the reticle and reticle line thickness of the cronus, I would go for a gen3 razor the fine reticle line thickness was the only thing keeping me from pulling the trigger on it.
Any other suggestions... must be FFP, have a good simple tree reticle, big F.O.V. "my biggest complaint on the cronus is the F.O.V."

I've thrown around the idea of the Burris XTR PRO or a Zeiss LRP S3 or maybe even S5 but what else is out there???

Reactions: Badjujuu
I had a ZCO with the MPCT3x on my Vudoo, but recently moved it to one of my bigger guns , and replaced it with the S3. Haven’t shot it yet , but just playing around with it , I think the S3 is gonna work good.

I'd say keep the Cronus, to get something a lot better you're into Razor 3, ZCO, etc...

Get a Zeiss S3. If you want a ton of elevation get the 4-25x and if you want scope power and still plenty of elevation then get the 6-36. Great reticle and good FOV. I highly doubt you will be disappointed. Buy it before the end of the year as they are on sale and you will save a bunch of money.

Get a Zeiss S3. If you want a ton of elevation get the 4-25x and if you want scope power and still plenty of elevation then get the 6-36. Great reticle and good FOV. I highly doubt you will be disappointed. Buy it before the end of the year as they are on sale and you will save a bunch of money.

This right here ^^^ the glass is fantastic in these scopes!!

I would go for a gen3 razor the fine reticle line thickness was the only thing keeping me from pulling the trigger on it.
You are wise to recognize that the reticle thickness is a potential - probable? - issue. It bit me twice in rimfire matches last year... and I didn't learn from the first one.

In first instance, targets were in the woods, in deep shade, wide lateral spread, maybe 70ish yards out. Using the gen-3's lighted turret was helpful, but zooming out enough to quickly locate targets made the subtensions too small to scan and use quickly.

In the second... Simple target set, more complex "solution." Five huge identical targets pretty evenly spaced in a column 45 to 80 yards, pretty much down in the grass. Shooter was up on a platform about 10 feet above ground level, so all targets had identical backgrounds. One shot per target near to far from prone, get up, one shot far to near off stair rail. But once again, if I zoomed out enough to see which target I was "on" in the column, I couldn't quickly discern the reticle subtensions. Zoom in enough, and I engaged the wrong target because they all looked the same.

Too late (like after the stage), I realized the targets were so tall (three inches or so) that I could have just held high or low on the target and not bothered with subtensions.

After that match - last of the year last month - I swapped the Vudoo's gen-3 6-36x56 Razor with the ZCO 5-27x56 that had been on my primary centerfire rifle. I really like my gen-3 Razors - I have three of them - but they are not the best choice for NRL22 and similar.
----
Edit: I liked the gen-3's high magnification for .22 because I could see bullet holes in paper at 300 yards and strikes on painted steel at 400 (mirage permitting).

Last edited:
I just switched from a Cronus to a Zeiss S3 4-25 for NRL22 and I love it. Don't feel like I gave up anything because I never used that top 4x mag and it is easier to get behind. Also, the Zeiss has almost zero scope showing around it when looking with both eyes open. Seems like it makes it easier to get on target.

I also shoot at 50ft indoors in the winter and the Cronus only having the parallax knob go down to 25yds was an issue. The Zeiss does 15m or 16.something yards or like 49ft. Works perfect.

I really like the Kahles 525i for 22lr. Not the best for long range centerfire but perfect for nrl22. I have 2 of them on my rifles. Also have a zco on a rifle and like kahles a little better. Zco blows them away past 800 yards.

In early 2022 when I was shopping for a rimfire scope my search on SH led me to the XTR Pro. Since then a few people at my local club have gone the same route after checking mine out.

IMO, rimfire scopes have a few more requirements than centerfire:
  • Need for a lot more internal elevation adjustment. Most matches have targets out to 300 yds, which is something like 12-13 mils of up. Occasionally we’ll have targets out to 400 yds which is 20-ish mils of up. Compare that to my 6GT, I hardly ever need more than 7 or 8 to get out to 1,000-ish.
  • At least 10 or 12 mils per turret rotation. My first rimfire scope only had 6, so I was cranking and cranking and cranking to get out to 300 yds. That shit‘ll give you carpel tunnel.
  • Sometimes we have targets at 25 yds, so need a scope with parallax that goes down to at least 25.
  • Wide FOV -I guess that also applies for centerfire as well, but with the Burris I can pretty much keep my magnification on 16x for the majority of the match whereas with my older scope I was around 12-14x for the same FOV.
As I mentioned above, the XTR Pro (as well as some of the other scopes) checked all the boxes for me and then some. I’ve come to really like the SCR2 reticle. It gives me enough info without being cluttered, and my brain seems to work well with the .2 increments for wind holds or if I hold elevation. The reticle in my previous scopes were in .5 increments. The other feature on the XTR Pro I really like is the Burris Race Dial. My eyes see the black marks on white background better than white markings on black background, plus I take advantage of the wet erase surface on the dial to mark my dope for the different targets.

Lastly, the zero stop is easy to set. No tools needed, but make sure the little tension screw that holds the flip lever is snug. I let mine get loose once and my turret free-wheeled during a stage and I lost zero. I also like the ability to flip the little deal inside the turret to allow the turret to go -.4mils down from zero. Handy for some stages where dope is -.1 for close targets.

I liked the XTR Pro so much I ended up with a second one for my 6GT.

To add to the EuroOptic link above if you're already a PRS member there's an extra discount you get on most items, just have to e-mail them your info first.

This Tract demo just came through in an email and might be for someone who is looking for a scope in this price range. It’s funny as I just ordered one a couple nights ago and it should be delivered tomorrow. I would have grabbed one of these demos if it was available.

I love the reticle and reticle line thickness of the cronus, I would go for a gen3 razor the fine reticle line thickness was the only thing keeping me from pulling the trigger on it.
The EBR-7D reticle is no finer than the rest on the market, the reticle thickness of the Cronus APLR5.

I wouldn't choose the Cronus for the reason you listed, narrow FOV.
XTR3 Pro or RZR G3 would be my choice if you were looking at ZCO/TT level glass.

There's about 5 guys here in western Idaho running the XTR Pro in PRS/NRL rimfire. They're pretty hooked.

Great feature set, toolless zero, turret that drops .4 under zero for 25yd shots on a 50 yard zero. a 12 mil Removable Race Turret for write on target holds. Great glass, great reticle. I get 24 mils elevation out of mine with Burris Signature rings.

It's a very good scope fore rimfire, and competition in general.

Reactions: xxflyingturtlexx
There's about 5 guys here in western Idaho running the XTR Pro in PRS/NRL rimfire. They're pretty hooked.

Great feature set, toolless zero, turret that drops .4 under zero for 25yd shots on a 50 yard zero. a 12 mil Removable Race Turret for write on target holds. Great glass, great reticle. I get 24 mils elevation out of mine with Burris Signature rings.

It's a very good scope fore rimfire, and competition in general.

I just ordered one of the black XTR Pros to go on my Bergara B14R action. Can't wait to get my hands on it and get it mounted and sighted. Going with the Signature rings so I can maximize the available elevation when I mount it. I am really looking forward to trying this precision rimfire game and learning more about how to shoot a scoped rifle accurately and I think the Bergara B14R and XTR Pro will be a great combo for my new adventure.

I just ordered one of the black XTR Pros to go on my Bergara B14R action. Can't wait to get my hands on it and get it mounted and sighted. Going with the Signature rings so I can maximize the available elevation when I mount it. I am really looking forward to trying this precision rimfire game and learning more about how to shoot a scoped rifle accurately and I think the Bergara B14R and XTR Pro will be a great combo for my new adventure.

I just won a PRS22 match on Saturday. Targets were from 25 to 350 yards. So Zero to 15mils on my turrets.

Or interested in cf at this time but for rimfires. Compared to many that been mentioned in this thread.
Only spoke of centerfire for distance as you mentioned 300-500 with no specification on what you were looking for at those ranges. I have had my S3 on my Vudoo for almost a year now and it's a great rimfire optic for matches. The reticle is very easy to see and use for holds. I have had a Gen III, Pro and a Tract and I like the S3 the best of those.

Only spoke of centerfire for distance as you mentioned 300-500 with no specification on what you were looking for at those ranges. I have had my S3 on my Vudoo for almost a year now and it's a great rimfire optic for matches. The reticle is very easy to see and use for holds. I have had a Gen III, Pro and a Tract and I like the S3 the best of those.
Thanks for that info since I have not seen anyone using one at our matches and would like to check one out. Although we are maxed out at 300 but not on personal property. Will be looking to upgrade the optic I have already and do think the reticle looks good on the S3. I was also thinking on the Leupold MK5 but not so sure yet.

Reactions: Rob01
The reticle is one of the best I have ever used and its so easy to see being as it's very dark. Take a look at one if you see one around. You looking at 6-36 or 4-25?