• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best ring height for M40 or m40 clone?

pcweidman

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 6, 2012
Alabama
www.facebook.com
Guys what is your opinion or the rule of thumb for any m40 stock or clone stock when it comes to ring height? I usually use mediums. I know some will reply to use the m40 rail and ring system but I can't use that. I feel I need a little more rugged product. I will hunt and shoot in friendly competitions with this gun and need consistent accuracy. The reason I ask is because I have a feeling lots of folks will use low rings on this set up due to the scope size and rifle profile. Any experience out there with this?

I know some will reply to use the m40 rail and ring system but I can't use that. I feel I need a little more rugged product.
What is it about the Badger replica setup that you think isn't rugged enough? I can tell you with a very similar mount for our issued M40A1s, I never in five years saw a scope/mount slip that some dumbass didn't mess with, and those steel tubed Unertls were far from light scopes at that.

Reactions: HogsLife
The Redfield / Leupold / Badger base and ring design works fine. It was hunted with for decades, used on target guns and sniper rifles, it works. PLus if your building a clone, wouldnt you want to get as close to authentic as reasonably possible? Just curious.

That's great info guys thanks! Yes like I said it is a 'clone' but a modern version of it. A purist won't like it but if you took the profile and the essence if the rifle and modernize it, that's what im building. That's what's great about gun building and collecting; you can do whatever makes you happy and it will provide talking points around the camo fire for years to come. Not to mention you always learn something in this hobby that pushes your ideas for the next rifle. I think I will consider the badger replica that is for sale on swfa or just go with low rings. I don't have a huge head or fat face so I should be ok.