• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Best round for ar-10 .308?

ShooterVaughn

Private
Minuteman
Mar 20, 2022
Alaska
I was recently given an Ar-10, its a delton. The barrel is 16in. Its previous owner didnt take the greatest of care of it, but doesn't have rust or pitting in the barrel. Been trying to group it and see what i can get. Any advice on what works good in this gun specifically or things similar to it?

The FGMM 168 / 175 is used as a standard to see what the gun is doing by many people.

You might find a better round for a particular barrel but the op is tying to evaluate his newly acquired ar 10.

If it won't group with these I think time for a new barrel if no other problems are found.

My sons rifle liked the fgmm so well it took me a long time to best it with reloads.

Undoubtedly the firearm was specked out with it as test criteria back in the day.

So ya a bit biased for that stuff as a universal test round. It has held steady for years and always used to check for problems if groups open up.

Sub 1/2 inch in his gun we stopped shopping and started reloading.

Using the same brass primer and bullet the only powder I could beat it with was Varget that I tried. When we ran out of varget I could not get past 0.6 with anything.

Edit: 20 inch ruger tactical bolt gun.

Add to those.
PMC XTac match with the SMK
IMI Razorcore with the SMK
Had good luck with both those.

I think Freedom Munitions has some 308 ammo with TMK's loaded, some M118LR its not great ammo, maybe 1.5 MOA stuff but good enough to plink steel out to 1K. Just not FGGM ammo which is the goto for 308 factory. Norma factory ammo is not bad in 168/175 pills.

TAP 168 is great ammo.

PB

I have shot a match with this ammo, all I had at the time .https://www.federalpremium.com/rifle/premium-centerfire-rifle/nosler-partition/11-P308E.html
It shot sub MOA. I was not hand loading at the time. Groups great out of my RR 26" 1:10 twist. Give it a try. I have switched to hand loading berger VLD's. With berger handloads I have shot one hole 5 shot groups a couple times. So get hand loading.

Last edited:
Semi auto 168 and below.

Bolt 168 and above.

Just my preference.

Semi auto 168 and below.

Bolt 168 and above.

Just my preference.
Just curious as to your reason for your preference? It does seem more folks do this. I’ve had good luck with 185 Juggs from both and better ballistics than lighter bullets from my rifles so stick with those.

Reactions: Northman623
Just curious as to your reason for your preference? It does seem more folks do this. I’ve had good luck with 185 Juggs from both and better ballistics than lighter bullets from my rifles so stick with those.

Maybe it's Garand/M1A related.

I get great "close" distance groups with 168 and all that metal mass flying around.

No need to stress an oprod or deal with more .308 bolt carrier velocity.

I think of semis as awesome 800 and in but beat by bolts beyond.

I have shot mine further but you have more working against you.

.....and 168s will go beyond 800 also.

185 Jugg is 920 ft/lb vs 710 and 530 respectively for 175 SMK and 168 SMK at 800 yd outta my Seekins w/ 18” Proof CF 1:10. Similar results interestingly enough from my 24” bolt gun. Approx 40-80 ft/lb difference only.
Drift difference in 10mph wind is 25” at that distance.

Last edited:
Reactions: Northman623
M80A1.

FGMM is for limp-wristed manbuns.

Go big, or GTFO.
9BB10A69-C6B8-427F-A6FD-41397F6A8EA6.jpeg

I was recently given an Ar-10, its a delton. The barrel is 16in. Its previous owner didnt take the greatest of care of it, but doesn't have rust or pitting in the barrel. Been trying to group it and see what i can get. Any advice on what works good in this gun specifically or things similar to it?

How the hell would we know? Every rifle is different.

Anyone here have experience with Privi Partisan P

Anyone here have experience with Privi Partisan PPU?
Terrible out of my 18" Ballistic Advantage barrel. The 155 Amax shows the best promise but I've reduce the load to the point where I may be compensating for my poor marksmanship skills. Granted its a cheap barrel. About to test four or five different 168 gr bullets next. The 168 SMK shoots reasonably well but still not happy.

I’ve reloaded the brass and it was ok. Don’t have much to add scientifically, sorry. Didn’t have any particular cons though like being soft, loose primer pockets, etc. Seemed consistent.

Reactions: atomic41
Terrible out of my 18" Ballistic Advantage barrel. The 155 Amax shows the best promise but I've reduce the load to the point where I may be compensating for my poor marksmanship skills. Granted its a cheap barrel. About to test four or five different 168 gr bullets next. The 168 SMK shoots reasonably well but still not happy.

Thanks, was curious. It's always been there tempting me with it's cheap pricetag.

For 16” and under barrels, I like 130 grain TTSX… LOADED HOT