• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Best scope for $2K or less for my KAC LPR

snipe10

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 10, 2010
Colorado
Just picked up the LPR (18 inch Kreiger barrel) and am looking for glass suggestions hopefully from actual users. I'd like to keep the budget at $2K or less but could go a bit higher if necessary, thanks in advance for the advice. I did a search bunt wanted to post today to get the most up to date information.

Nightforce NXS man! Still might be able to find a close out Steiner Military 4-16. Several venders out there were blowing them out for 1399. normally 2299. I bought one from CST.
great scope!

I've had great results with my LPR/Leupold MK 3-18... light weight and compact.... oh yeah, great magnification range.

Otherwise a NF 2.5-10x would also be a great optic. Don't turn a 6.8-7.2 lb rifle into a 10+ hog.... keep it light.

Talk with Chris (above vendor), he was great to work with.

Last edited:
The question is what do you plan on doing with your rifle? Will it ever be used for CQB type scenarios? Will you use it to varmint hunt? How far out do you plan to shoot this rifle when target practicing?

My buddy put a SWFA 1-6 on his Kac Mod-1 and it's a great all around scope. He paid 799.00 when it was on sale. It has a great reticle for up close and on 6x was able to hit a 12x12 steel plate at 640 yards. It's a mil based FFP reticle. Should suffice for any type of varmint hunting or room clearing type shooting drills. I highly doubt that you would be hunting Coyotes or deer out past 300 yards with a 5.56 anyway. The glass was very good, for a scope in this price range. There are some nice 1-8's out there as well, Leupold, U.S.Optics, are probable the two best. Good luck.

I have had great luck at far less expense with my KAC Mark1 using an Aimpoint Comp M4 with 2 MOA dot.
I can shoot sub MOA groups at 100 yards with it and can hit out over 400 with a man sized target.
Single ragged hole at 50.

The question is what do you plan on doing with your rifle? Will it ever be used for CQB type scenarios? Will you use it to varmint hunt? How far out do you plan to shoot this rifle when target practicing?

Probably the only good post in the thread so far. If you provide the use/hopes/fears/dreams for your new KAC (nice) you will get a response that is more directed at you instead of what some other person likes for their purpose.

The following is my opinion only (of course).

First off, it should be light so as to not overwhelm the balance of the rifle.

Leupold Mark 6 3-18 (On the KAC site, this is how the rifle in the picture is configured) fits the bill if you need the magnification. Light and compact, very good glass.

Personally, I see the .223/5.56 NATO round as being effective to maybe 400 yards, so high magnification is unnecessary.

I'm on a 1-6 bender these days. At 1x they work like a CQB optic and at 6x have enough magnification (for me) for use out to 400 yards. It's not the right optic for punching paper, though.

Had my hands on a few and so far I like the Bushnell SMRS 1-6.5 in SFP and the SWFA 1-6 (FFP, the only way it comes). The glass in these two are the same to my eyes, which is very good. The same glass in a high magnification scope might reveal its limitations, but in a 1-6, it is very good.

Both have nice (quasi-daylight bright illuminated) CQB reticles for close quarters. I don't see the need for brighter illumination; if it's light enough to negate the illumination, then the reticles are highly visible already. Both work as well using BAC (Bindon Aiming Concept, both eyes open) as my Aimpoints, with the Bushnell tube almost disappearing at the right eye relief.

The Bushnell is the lighter of the 2 at 18 ounces. The SWFA is 4 ounces heaver at 22. I haven't tried a Vortex 1-6 yet, but they are heavier still (25 ounces) and nearly a half pound more than the Bushy. Still, I've been tempted to try one. There's always the Swarovskis if you require alpha glass, but I doubt it yields much improvement at such low magnifications. For my middle class needs, I think the Bushnell and SWFA fit the need quite well.

MarkCo, good point and good question by Shoottothrill, I was in a rush and should have posted more detail in the thread. I would like CQB capability and be able to hit out to 500-600 yards or so, I was thinking NF 2.5-10x32 600 yard LV. My thinking, and maybe flawed, was if i was going to go 1X, it'd be a waste with the 18" barrel, but that's why I'm asking, thanks for any and all input,

I figured that a person wanting a LPR (Light Precision Rifle) would follow the acronym that it was given.

A good buddy and I both have LPR's, and have taken them out to 800m on a 12"x12" diamond/square... why would you not want to use it, for what it was built to do? Grab a mod 1 (still very accurate) and a nice 1-6 or 1-8 if you want something real light and handy (chrome line barrel so you can push it a little harder).

Sounds like you are describing an across the course 3Gun set-up. There are a lot of choices in the 1-6 to 2-10 range. Magnification does not increase accuracy past a certain point (about 1x per hundred yards is all you really need unless you want to go under 1MOA). I have been using a 1-4MTAC for the past several years and get my hits out at 600 yards. While 1x is not mandatory for CQB, it almost is. Unless you are going to utilize some sort of short distance sight like a red-dot, laser or side irons, a 1-? would be a great choice. The XTRIIs have a lot going for them as well, the 1-5 gives a little more magnification out at distance while the 2-10 seems almost perfect for the LPR/DMR set-up. You can spend more, but the XTRII is going to be a tough product line to beat.

All our SPR's in the service used 3.5-10x40 luppy's and they served their purpose well... as stated above, more magnification does not increase accuracy, BUT, it sure does lend itself when making an accurate correction and identifying your intended target down range. Plus, you can always dial down....

just my 2 cents.