• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Best scope for around $1500

Jmccracken1214

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Dec 10, 2018
    Thomasville, NC
    I've got a budget of about $1500. Looking for opinions on glass. Must be atleast 34mm tube.

For the money, Im eyeing the Sightron SV 4.5x24x56 zero stop model. My discounted price on that optic is mid 1400's.... and for that price, Im having a hard time finding anything that'll beat this thing. I know razors can be had for 1600'ish... but not sure if its any better than the sightron. Ive seen some used NX8's for close, and other high end glass..

Throw me some ideas, or for under 1500, should I just rock the sightron

Reactions: Don Dial
    The new Tract Toric if you can save up $200 more. If you qualify for the LE/Mil discount, it gets you under.

Make sure you scroll to the bottom and make your account through the LE/Mil link. Not through the create account button that you would normally do. Otherwise you need to call, and email Jon directly, it's a whole thing.

Watch the px for decent deals here. Personally I’d be looking at an Athlon Cronus BTR used.

I’ve used Sightron, Athlon, Vortex, Burris and Nightforce.

This, been behind a couple and they are unbeatable at this price.

Yeh, the Hide is slow at embracing it. But if you read the reviews from people who have them, folks are pretty impressed. The biggest write up on it to date here on the Hide called it the best scope of its type in the sub $2k price point. Compared directly against the NX8, MK5HD, and various Bushnell Elites.

You can pick up a Athlon Cronus btr 4.5x27x56 for under 1300 in the px going to be very hard to beat that

I just picked up the Tract 4.5-30x56 and have used it for 2 weeks and really like it. They have a 30day money back guarantee so there's no harm in trying that out.

Japanese/European glass/treatments.

My scope has 35 mils of adjustment. I didn't do a tall tracking test but dialed 20.8mils according to my dope and landed hits on target. Turrets feel great. A few people who compared with Gen II Razor glass says it's slightly above.

Absent some discount I’m not privy to, I’d get the Primary Arms Platinum. That reticle is tops!

The delta stryker hd 5x50x56 34mm yea is sfp the steel plate don't seem to mind when its hit .it's around that price
    maybe a little more when you price in shipping while I like the sightron scopes I have looked through including my 10x50x60 s3 its a nice scope just not as nice and defiantly not as clear and crisp as the delta or even the razor , and there newer scopes just stuck me as a bit price just my feeling on it for what they offer especially when they were 2k ish
    could be cheaper I did not see anywhere that was but did not really look Its just another option . If you really wanted a ffp they do make a 4.8x30x56 34mm but at the same price or more than the larger mentioned scope same glass less mag
    which ever scope you decide on you should have a lot of fun gl.

Reactions: DiggerDanc
    I've got a budget of about $1500. Looking for opinions on glass. Must be atleast 34mm tube.

For the money, Im eyeing the Sightron SV 4.5x24x56 zero stop model. My discounted price on that optic is mid 1400's.... and for that price, Im having a hard time finding anything that'll beat this thing. I know razors can be had for 1600'ish... but not sure if its any better than the sightron. Ive seen some used NX8's for close, and other high end glass..

Get ahold of Pressley in our circles in NC... you might remember him from the Canadian Sight, before we came CFF...

Cronus BTR IHD Mil Mil ... I let a well known competitor shooter look through it and he was astonished at the Clarity, FOV, Mag and loved the reticle....

I was hesitant... but not anymore.. that is their Flagship line and well under your budget!

Check out liberty optics he got great prices on vortex. My razor hd amg only took 2 weeks should be here Tuesday super pumped

Reactions: stilesg57
    Presale on the maven rs4 is $1400. Based on the same LOW design as the delta stryker, toric & cronus iirc

I misspoke; Liberty Optics has better pricing than that even right now.
    [/QUOTE]
    Once I seen his price I didn't hesitate im new to this site and Liberty optics but you can't beat that deal once I pop my cherry with that good glass I'm never going back

Delta Stryker HD
    This is the right answer.

I have not looked through an XTR3, but I think that's the only real competition for the Stryker in the sub-$2k market. And I've looked at darn near everything else in the same price range - Vortex, Bushnell, SWFA, Leupold, NF, etc.

The Trijicon Accupower 4.5-30x56 (now called the Tenmile) shares, from my understanding @koshkin , the same basic design as the Stryker. I have one of the Trijicon and it's been a fantastic scope for the year and a half that I have been using it. I bought mine new for $1600 with an Optics Planet discount.

I have not looked through an XTR3, but I think that's the only real competition for the Stryker in the sub-$2k market. And I've looked at darn near everything else in the same price range - Vortex, Bushnell, SWFA, Leupold, NF, etc.

Reactions: Runnineh
    The Trijicon Accupower 4.5-30x56 (now called the Tenmile) shares, from my understanding @koshkin , the same basic design as the Stryker. I have one of the Trijicon and it's been a fantastic scope for the year and a half that I have been using it. I bought mine new for $1600 with an Optics Planet discount.
    Yes, I believe the Trijicon, Stryker, and Cronus all share similar designs. They are definitely not the same scope though. I had a Cronus for a while and I can definitively say that the Stryker I have is noticeably better than the Cronus I had optically. The Delta also focuses a little easier to me, and the reticle is fantastic (although I do like the Athlon reticles). My big beef with Trijicon when I looked at it a while back was the reticle. It just didn't suit my tastes, especially compared to the Delta reticle which is darn near perfect. I do think the Trijicon handled illumination better than the Delta, but that's not something I use at all. I don't think I even have a battery in mine right now.

The Stryker is the one I always watch for, and quite literally, have never seen one in the wild.

And I'm a scope watcher. I always look to see what people are running at matches. I love looking and comparing. I've compared to the Cronus BTR and PA Platinum. Good scopes from LOW. But I don't think they are as nice as the XTR3. I looked through a Tract Toric at my PRS match in May, instantly disliked it due to the thick, black scope ring. I've been spoiled by the edge to edge glass eyepiece of the Burris.

It's such a good market in the $1500 to $2000 price point.

The Stryker is the one I always watch for, and quite literally, have never seen one in the wild.

And I'm a scope watcher. I always look to see what people are running at matches. I love looking and comparing. I've compared to the Cronus BTR and PA Platinum. Good scopes from LOW. But I don't think they are as nice as the XTR3. I looked through a Tract Toric at my PRS match in May, instantly disliked it due to the thick, black scope ring. I've been spoiled by the edge to edge glass eyepiece of the Burris.

I believe it. Mine is the only one I've seen around.

I think the Stryker beats out the Cronus pretty easily (at least the one I had). I'd love to try it out against an XTR3 sometime. XTR3 seems like an awesome overall package, especially considering the $1500-$1600 price point they're at now. I need to get my hands on one eventually.

Was the black scope ring due to the scope itself or very far protruded caps? I noticed that comparing my Tract to my Ares ETR, the ETR looked like it had better edge to edge glass eye piece, but because I didn't have any scope caps on it. My Tract I put on the Tenebraex caps, and Tenebraex caps are very, very long and away from the eye piece, which adds a nice black shadow. If I remove the scope caps, the edge to edge is a lot better. Not that I feel that it makes a difference when shooting though.

I’m very happy with my Cronus BTR. I keep getting tempted to try and trade just to try something new, but it works very well and I just can’t unless something amazing hits the market at the same price point (although the idea of a Delta Stryker 5-50 is tempting).

I wouldn’t even consider the Sightron SV for the price and I like Sightron in general. That external zero stop just looks like an afterthought, although I’m sure the glass is very good.

Was the black scope ring due to the scope itself or very far protruded caps? I noticed that comparing my Tract to my Ares ETR, the ETR looked like it had better edge to edge glass eye piece, but because I didn't have any scope caps on it. My Tract I put on the Tenebraex caps, and Tenebraex caps are very, very long and away from the eye piece, which adds a nice black shadow. If I remove the scope caps, the edge to edge is a lot better. Not that I feel that it makes a difference when shooting though.

The one I looked through didn't have caps. But I've only looked through the one. Maybe they aren't all like that.

The one I looked through didn't have caps. But I've only looked through the one. Maybe they aren't all like that.

I suspect they are all like that. After all, the guys came from Nikon who were notorious for the "black ring".

And, I'm speaking from experience having owned (for a short while) a Tract Toric 2-10x42. Huge black ring, tiny field of view, and definitely "Chinese" "Schott" lenses......not european. Glass was not anything to write home about when comparing to Meopro 4.5-14x44 and Weaver New Model Grand Slams that I had directly compared at that time a few years back.

I would stay away from Tract, or atleast not directly side x side compare with other brands.........unless you want to feel "dooped"

I suspect they are all like that. After all, the guys came from Nikon who were notorious for the "black ring".

And, I'm speaking from experience having owned (for a short while) a Tract Toric 2-10x42. Huge black ring, tiny field of view, and definitely "Chinese" "Schott" lenses......not european. Glass was not anything to write home about when comparing to Meopro 4.5-14x44 and Weaver New Model Grand Slams that I had directly compared at that time a few years back.

I would stay away from Tract, or atleast not directly side x side compare with other brands.........unless you want to feel "dooped"
    I looked through one tract and felt similarly...not super impressed for the price. Sample size of one for me, but still...

I looked through one tract and felt similarly...not super impressed for the price. Sample size of one for me, but still...

And the pictures they put up on the Tract Toric thread here not too long ago showed some photos through the eyepiece. The ring was super thick on those.

If they are all like that, I'm not a fan. It just isnt visually appealing.

And the pictures they put up on the Tract Toric thread here not too long ago showed some photos through the eyepiece. The ring was super thick on those.

Those were my pics, I'll pull off my Tenebraex and retake the pictures today.

Leupold Mark 5 -- Contact Scott at Liberty Optics

You can get the 5-25x56 for a little over $1,500 -- Awesome scope

I’m assuming this is for the non-illuminated models? Great price...

I have the no zero stop version.
    That scope is a very solid contender.
    There is no other scope that can match it for the price you can get it for.
    Excellent glass, excellent reticle, excellent tracking, excellent adjustments.
    The knobs are big though.

Edit: forgot to add, excellent parallax adjustment, down to 13 yards.

Reactions: WildBill3/75

Here's the Tract 4.5-30x56 without scope caps.

@4.5x

1592869921572.png

@ 30x.
    1592869960278.png

Without the scope caps, the scope shadow is the same as my ETR.

Leupold Mark 5 -- Contact Scott at Liberty Optics

You can get the 5-25x56 for a little over $1,500 -- Awesome scope

I am fairly picky about my optics, I dont shoot any competitions but I do shoot a lot of prairie dogs. When spending the better part of the day behind a scope looking at small targets the quality of the glass for me is important. I suppose that is a constant between match and varmint shooting, lots of scope time. I have a couple Premiers (wished I could find a few more of those) and 3 Swarovski scopes on my rigs. Looking now for a longer range option for my 6BR. I have been reviewing that Mk5 HD 5-25 scope here at the house for around a week now and I must say its impressive. I keep going back to my scope dealer and bringing home other scopes to compare it to but so far nothing is holding up. The older Mark 6 3-18 glass cant compare, no Bushnells either. Wished I could get my hands on an XTR III but he doesnt have one. I had several Vortex scopes in the past and wont waste my time there again. My Razor HD was a POS. I dont think NF glass is worth what they charge for it and thats after owning an NXS. Its looking more like that Mk5 HD is going to be the one.

Reactions: greg1147
    The list below is what I would be considering

Mark5
    Razor GenII
    Tract
    DMR II Pro
    XRS II
    Delta Stryker
    XTR III
    Cronus BTR
    Tango6

I believe there is also a Trijicon in this price range, if so, consider that as well...

Reactions: YotaEer
    yes -- non-illuminated

It is over the stated $1,500 budget, but worth a little extra

The list below is what I would be considering

Mark5
    Razor GenII
    Tract
    DMR II Pro
    XRS II
    Delta Stryker
    XTR III
    Cronus BTR
    Tango6

I believe there is also a Trijicon in this price range, if so, consider that as well...

im in the same boat as OP and have compiled nearly this exact list.

Of the ones on this list that you have experience with, would you recommend any of them over another? Obviously reticles are personal preference but I assume the glass, turrets, features etc separate some

I have two Cronus scopes, one with each reticle. Can't see buying the others when I can get a reticle I really like, both are good. And shopping around you can get them new for less than all the others. Glass is good, they track well and zero stop is simple to set.

I have two Cronus scopes, one with each reticle. Can't see buying the others when I can get a reticle I really like, both are good. And shopping around you can get them new for less than all the others. Glass is good, they track well and zero stop is simple to set.
    We compared the Sightron to the Cronus and found that the Sightron edged it just a bit.
    Not much, as a matter of fact, it was more a personal preference type of thing, but as a complete package, the SVSSED was a bit better. The adjustments were just a bit crisper on the Cronus, but everything else went to the Sightron.