• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Craigmcwill

Private
Minuteman
Jun 10, 2020
Hi all,

I have just acquired my rifle license in the UK and am looking to start off right and buy one of the absolute best optics I can buy.

I would say I'd be 50/50 hunting deer and vermin or target shooting.

What I'm looking for is scopes with the absolute best clarity.

I was thinking a swarovski as the glass has really good reviews but any help would be really appreciated as I am nee to this.

Thanks guys 👍

I suggest starting by reading through some of the great comparisons on here. You can use the search function and key words
Hensoldt, Tangent Theta, Zero Compromise Optics (ZCO), NightForce, Schmidt Bender
Also watch some reviews on YouTube from the Dark Lord of Optics. He has reviews on here also. Very helpful and objective.
A lot will depend on which reticle you prefer. There’s less enthusiasm on this site for MOA and reticles sometimes preferred for hunting vs tree style, so Zeiss and Swarovski will have less discussion but produce excellent products.

Here is Ilya's YouTube channel that would be well worth spending a full weekend watching all his stuff before buying a scope that will cost you thousands:

That being said, Tangent Theta scopes have some of the best glass available in "tactical" style scopes, as well as top notch mechanicals.

A lot of it is also going to come down to what reticle you are more comfortable with.

What distances are you going to shoot at?
Deer hunting may be very different than long range target shooting or vermin shooting.

Schmidt and Bender have some excellent SFP hunting scopes that while expensive for their new, top of the line stuff, will do excellent duty on foggy / dreary hunting days, and may make the difference between getting that deer and not.

Here is Ilya's YouTube channel that would be well worth spending a full weekend watching all his stuff before buying a scope that will cost you thousands:

That being said, Tangent Theta scopes have some of the best glass available in "tactical" style scopes, as well as top notch mechanicals.

A lot of it is also going to come down to what reticle you are more comfortable with.

What distances are you going to shoot at?
Deer hunting may be very different than long range target shooting or vermin shooting.

Schmidt and Bender have some excellent SFP hunting scopes that while expensive for their new, top of the line stuff, will do excellent duty on foggy / dreary hunting days, and may make the difference between getting that deer and not.
Thankyou very much for your help,

I wouldnt be shooting at any deer over say 300 yards or so.

Do you think I'd be better with a dedicated hunting scope and then get a target scope?

Thanks again

Do you think I'd be better with a dedicated hunting scope and then get a target scope?

Thanks again
You’ll get a lot of varying opinions on this. I prefer to use a first focal plane with tree style reticle for everything. I also try and stick to just similar reticles and practice as much as possible using them dialing and hold over with wind. Frankly, I don’t think it matters much which focal plane or reticle you prefer if you practice with it then you’re bound to take confident shots. Great glass is the key IMO. Makes the difference in poor conditions as mentioned previously.

Hi all,

I have just acquired my rifle license in the UK and am looking to start off right and buy one of the absolute best optics I can buy.

I would say I'd be 50/50 hunting deer and vermin or target shooting.

What I'm looking for is scopes with the absolute best clarity.

I was thinking a swarovski as the glass has really good reviews but any help would be really appreciated as I am nee to this.

Thanks guys 👍
Do you have a budget in mind?
Many folks come on here and say they want the best there is, until they see the price tag associated with it.
For example Hensoldt optics are held in high regard, as well as Tangent Theta, Zero Compromise and Schmidt and Bender.
However, you're talking about 4000+ US dollars for some of these. All of them are north of 3000 US.

Then you have the second tier occupied by the likes of Leupold, Vortex Razor Gen 2, Athlon Chronus, Tract Toric etc... Now you are talking 1700-2500 US dollars.

Thanks again

What kind of target shooting are you going to do and at what distances?

Generally speaking you could use one scope for both.
Usually you pick the scope that will excel at what you use it for most and be workable for what you will use it for a lesser amount of the time.

If your target shooting is not too far away, something like this will work well:

The biggest issue is that if you are going to hunt 100 to 300 meters with your scope, you'll want to have something like a 3x on the low end to give you a good field of view. You could go with the 5x minimum but that will probably not be ideal for close hunting.

Now depending on your target shooting, 15x may not be enough and you may want to get one that has 25x or such at the top end.

That being said, if you get really serious about both hunting and target shooting, you may eventually see if you are able to have a dedicated setup for hunting and a dedicated setup for target shooting. Depending again a lot on what kind of target shooting you want to do.

Thankyou everyone for your inputs,

I'm now thinking more of a dedicated hunting scope and a target scope in the future as I predominately hunt just now.

What would be the recommendations for the best glass in a hunting scope?

Thanks

Lot of scope features besides clarity/glass issues. Most mid level or better optics have stunning glass today. I prefer S&B but from what I read there are better scopes out there. I don’t require them. YMMV.

Thankyou everyone for your inputs,

I'm now thinking more of a dedicated hunting scope and a target scope in the future as I predominately hunt just now.

What would be the recommendations for the best glass in a hunting scope?

Thanks

Go to this post and then read down on the thread from there:

Thanks again
This is a simple question. If you have the money the answers is without question, yes.

For hunting my preference is SFP since most of the time I am dialed down to the lowest power with the reticle still easily readable. For the money the Swaro's are pretty hard to beat for a hunting scope due to their lightweight and being excellent in low light situations. For precision rifles prefer FFP in mils.