• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Best Scope for hunting rifle

ProImaging

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 6, 2011
Alabama
www.proimagingonline.com
im having a Hart barrell put on a 300 win mag on a rifle i want to use for hunting. mainly deer. i live in the south so 500-600 acre peanut fields are not uncommon. looking for a good scope for low light conditions for this rifle. i have a weatherby 30-06 with a leupold mark 3 on it with mil-dots but late evening it looses a lot of light right when the hunting gets good. been kicking around a S&B or leica looking for opinions on what you guys use.

Re: Best Scope for hunting rifle

Swaro Z6 (I have one and it is fantastic), Zeiss Diavari, Leica, S&B will all offer you premium optics. I am sure you would be satisfied with any of them.

Pick the other features that are most important to you, like, objective size, mag range, reticle, adjustment style, wieght, FOV, eye relief, etc. Then go pick which one of those brands offer most of the features you want/need.

I use punctuation, capitalization and.............the SEARCH function.

I thank you very much, 41

I love my Swarovski scopes. I bought a 4x16 with an illuminated tds reticle just before the z6 model came out. I'd love a z6 but there just isn't enough difference between 4x16 and 3x18 to justify the expenditure. I'd buy a 4x24 in a heartbeat if they made one (6x30 is just too much, especially at the lower end.)

Zeiss, Swarovski, or S&B would be getting the nod. All of these will give you good light gathering ability.

Keith, you are a hard a$$.
Yep, search, lots of info covered here.

Nightforce 3.5-15x50 or 5-22x50. Illuminated reticles, decent prices in for sale section.

Move along, nothing to see here.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: K41</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use punctuation, capitalization and.............the SEARCH function.

</div></div>

looks like you know how to hit that jackass key too.

There are a lot of great Hunting scopes we have been getting very good feedback on the <span style="font-weight: bold">Premier Hunter</span> but another great scope that I like a lot for hunting is the Swarovski 3-10x with the BRH RET.

5437541118_afffc3d5b9_z.jpg

This is how I go shopping for my steak.
5436933197_74cb511222_z.jpg

Mike @ CST

If you want the best low light capabilty, nothing beats my Zeiss Diavari 72mm scope. Nothing.

It has adjustable illumination and the light gathering power of a good sized spotting scope.

Incidentally, the Zeiss 72 also sits on my .300 Win Mag.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: K41</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use punctuation, capitalization and.............the SEARCH function.

</div></div>
good for you.

"Best" is pretty subjective, its always a compromise. It depends on what you're hunting and the terrain. Sometimes a big heavy scope sucks, but in open areas with extended range shooting it can be necessary. My main rifle I have a Zeiss on. It is very bright and very clear. However, it doesn't seem to be as robust and lacks illumination. I also use a Nightforce NXS for hunting. I absolutely know it will hold up no matter what I put it through. I trust it more, but its not always worth carrying around a 40 oz scope.

For varmint rifles, I have Leupold VX-3s and they are alright for that task.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tylerw02</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"Best" is pretty subjective, its always a compromise. It depends on what you're hunting and the terrain. Sometimes a big heavy scope sucks, but in open areas with extended range shooting it can be necessary. My main rifle I have a Zeiss on. It is very bright and very clear. However, it doesn't seem to be as robust and lacks illumination. I also use a Nightforce NXS for hunting. I absolutely know it will hold up no matter what I put it through. I trust it more, but its not always worth carrying around a 40 oz scope.

For varmint rifles, I have Leupold VX-3s and they are alright for that task.
</div></div>
i have a VX-3 on my 30-06 ive been hunting with for that last 13 years. started out with a Nikon. its my workhorse rifle, just wanted a win mag for big fields that require a longer shot and would give me 30 more minutes of shooting time...lol

I may have to look at some Zeiss's and S&B's my brother has a S&B on a win mig i like, Still trying to get used to paying twice as much for the scope as i do the rifle.

My next hunting scope is very likely to be an S&B. I see no problem with spending twice on your optics as your rifle. Can't hit what you can't see
wink.gif

I hunt with my target rifle or target shoot with my hunting rifle, depending on how you look at it. Practicing with the same rifle in both roles really helped me. My SN-3 USO has suited both.

my target rifle was a savage 300 RUM with a 30in full bore with a 2 in brake. had a NF on it. felt like it weighed 30 lbs. we built it to shoot a mile, ended up trading it for a Armalite AR-10 heavy barrell.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GardDog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I hunt with my target rifle or target shoot with my hunting rifle, depending on how you look at it. Practicing with the same rifle in both roles really helped me. My SN-3 USO has suited both. </div></div>

I'm the same way. I do quite a bit of target shooting with my .280 AI just to be comfortable with it, but I much prefer the energy and weight of the rifle over my .308 and 6.5-284. But I do take them hunting too.

I use Nightforce 5.5x22x56 on all but one rifle. They work really good at any distance. I have a Ziess 6x24x56 on my GAP non typical to save some weight. It is somewhat lighter in weight than the NF. I just ordered a new NF with the 1000yd velocity reticle to go on the non typical. I am going to try it with my 7wsm. I have had great success with the 2.5x10x32NF with low velocity on my ar10.