• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best Scope / Optic for .22 trainer

ColBatGuano

Private
Minuteman
May 1, 2010
I searched, lot's of info over many posts but my question is sort of specific.

I'm planning a CZ 455 build dropped in a Manners stock. It will mostly get shot at 25 yards. So far I'm looking at Bushnell Elite 6500 2.5-16x 42mm and Vortex Viper PST 2.5-10x44, but the Viper may be out as they claim parallax setting of 100 yds.

I'm thinking I want a Mil reticle as that's what my other scopes are, but I have very little rimfire experience so I don't know if it's required.

And, the twister, I'm looking into the possibility of a .17HMR barrel so I can have a two caliber set-up.

The trainer will have weight added to bring it up to about 13 lbs fully loaded, so I'm not concerned with scope weight.

So, what should I be looking for in an optic?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Best Scope / Optic for .22 trainer

The "best" optic would be the same one that your centerfire rifle wears. However, since that's usually cost prohibitive (or at least unappealing) I'd say just trying to get the same reticle/adjustments as your other scopes. You also probably want to try and get as much elevation adjustment as possible for flexibility if you want to start shooting longer ranges with it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ToddM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The "best" optic would be the same one that your centerfire rifle wears. However, since that's usually cost prohibitive (or at least unappealing) I'd say just trying to get the same reticle/adjustments as your other scopes. You also probably want to try and get as much elevation adjustment as possible for flexibility if you want to start shooting longer ranges with it. </div></div>

What he said. I cant afford another Nightforce for my trainer right now, but that would be the best route.

Thanks for the replies. Was hoping to keep the scope under $800, but I think I'll move my Nightforce 2.5-10 on to the trainer and get another Aimpoint for the AR it was sitting on. Just need to see if parallax will be an issue at 25 yards.

I'm using a Falcon 5-25 50mm FFP Mil/Mil with the ML16 reticule. I mounted it in a set of Burris XTR low rings on an EGW 20moa rail on my Savage Mark II. I really like the set up, some would say that 25x magnification is too much but I shoot my rifle out to 200+ yards and that extra power is nice.

I purchased the scope throught the SWFA trade-in progame. I traded a 4-16 Nikon Buckmaster for the Falcon and I ended up owing them $300.00 or so on the deal. If you have a decent scope to trade in you may consider contacting SWFA and see what kind of deal you can make on a decent optic.

Another scope to consider would be the Millett Tactical TRS-1
4-16 50mm. I think they run about $300.00 or so. It's not a FFP scope but you can get it in Mil/Mil which is nice if that's what you use on your copetition rifle.

I have a CZ 455 American with a Mueller 4.5-14×40AO Tactical.

It works quite well with the CZ and is very clear well out to the distances I shoot with that rifle, which is less then 200 yards. It has good parallax adjustment so it works well at the 25 to 50 yard range as well.

I got this one as it was highly recommend by the folks over at rimfire.com. Also doesn't hurt that its price point doesn't break the bank. Yet if I had the $$$ I would put a NF on it but at the time I didn't want to break the bank.

The rest of the answer on my Cz 453 I also mounted my Falcon Menace 5-25.

As for too much magnification, take a look at how many 22s are running Weaver T24s and T36s. Nope, magnification is just fine for punching paper. It damned near doubles the weight of the rifle, I don't think I'd want it for squirrel hunting, but then again I haven't tried it either.

The nightforce will not be parallax free at 25 yds The bushnell 6500 is a beauty
down to 10yds, some models start at 500$ and would be great to switch later to a hunting rifle

at 25 yards i wouldn't sweat it too much

this is a common misconception AO is actually more critical ( in terms of moa error) for precision short distance than longer distance

I couldn't love my SS 10x any more after today. It makes shooting even more of a pleasure than ever before in my time.

The falcon 4-14FFPs are ok.

Pros:

400 bucks
FFP
Good reticle offerings
Good ergonomic layout... Turrets, focus, ect.

Negatives:

glass is blurred at edges slightly
Eye relief is very finicky in my opinion. Not even close to the forgiveness that Leupold or NF offers.

Not really a negative or a positive, but overall quality isnt that impressive... then again it offers alot of features for only 400 bucks. I think they are well suited to most rimfire users however I am thinking of upgrading to Leupold, NF, IOR, or simliar. Not prepared to lay out USO, or S&B money for a rimfire though