• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best scope rings/mount for Anschutz 54?

Slick66

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 13, 2008
Cumming, Georgia, USA
Hey, just got an Anschutz 54.18 repeater barreled action and am looking for a scope mount set-up. I know it has the dovetail on the receiver, but I seem to recall reading that mounting rings in threaded holes worked better.

Any advice would be appreciated!

I don't have a 54.18, but I have a couple 54 sporters; 1712AV and 1712 Silhouette. I put DIP rails on both of them, that lets you run any "normal" scope rings, so you aren't limited to rings that mount on the dovetail.

Hey, just got an Anschutz 54.18 repeater barreled action and am looking for a scope mount set-up. I know it has the dovetail on the receiver, but I seem to recall reading that mounting rings in threaded holes worked better.

The very most precision are Kelbly. You'd expect that, out of a Benchrest company. Call them, explain the rifle, and when you get the rings, don't be surprised if a little oil helps to get them onto the action rails. I have the same rifle. Mine has worn a set of 30mm Kelbly for about 10 years, across lots of road trips and field use, and even some Silhouette. No problems. ZERO movement, EVER.

Reactions: camocorvette

Love a 54.18. Find the right lot of R50 and it will shoot with or outshoot any factory gun made. Remember this when mounting a scope. The less hardware you have between the scope and receiver the better off you are. This applies to any gun. Find a good set of 30mm dovetail rings and mount directly to the receiver.

Kelbys if you want the best dovetail scope rings. Murphy if you want the best fitting rail. Dip is another great option. Just make sure to get the longer "scout" mount.

Reactions: ZG47A
I can't seem to find Kelbly's rings. Link?

JFR

Well all I can find now is the 30mm dovetails from ANA. I could of swore they had a 34mm dovetail

I may be in the same situation as you. I've settled on the Athlon Cronus BTR Gen2 4.5-29x56 optic with the APRS6 FFP IR MIL reticle and it has a 34mm tube. I'm planning to contact Kelbly tomorrow to see if there is a 34mm option like the 30mm available on the Anschutz NA site.

The other option I've found so far is the Sportsmatch rings, which seem to have positive feedback here from forum members.

However, I'm starting to think the better option would be to remove the dovetail and replace it with a picatini rail like the 20 MOA Murphy Precision option offered by Anschutz NA on their site, as that would give me more options for 34mm rings or 1 piece mounts.

I have move to rails on all of my Annie’s. Murphy make the best ones I have found. It opens a whole lot of options in terms of scope mounting.

Reactions: eljefe302
The Sportsmatch rings are excellent and … so well made that I can mix sets, i.e. use a single screw ring mount with a twin screw ring mount when mounting a scope on a .22 bolt action OR a very short .22 self-loader. I bought my first set over 30 years ago and they are still going strong. One of the best things about Sportsmatch, which has never lowered its quality, is the ease of mounting scopes in the twin screw mounts. They are vastly superior to other twin screw—each side of the scope tube—mounts that I have used. That being said, the decision is yours. Have fun.

Reactions: eljefe302