• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Best scope to cope Bashes Knocks and Bumps

chdohert

Private
Minuteman
Jul 26, 2009
Western Australia , Australia
Can you guys give me some recommendations for a scope to sit on top of my 300 RUM in AICS 1.5 . It will be mainly used for long range hunting . I am after a scope that is most likely to hold its zero after bashes and bumps also suiting my optical application ?

Thanks
Chris

Re: Best scope to cope Bashes Knocks and Bumps

Nightforce 3.5-15x50 with matching reticle and knob of your choice. Will take abuse, let you see your targets without a problem, and hit where you want when you dial on your dope.

+1 and +1. Both are vey durable scopes. Im running a NF on my newest rig, and its been taking abuse well.

Do a search on USO.

There's a video that I'm too lazy to look for that shows a Hide member literally driving nails with one. The same treatment with other scopes left them in pieces.

Any optic that can hold up to that abuse should be more than capable of meeting your needs.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lizzardking308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Premier deserves mention as well... </div></div>

Does it really? I mean no offense to the PR guys, but just exactly what torture tests have the PR's been through? Any cars parked on top of them? anyone trowing it into the dirt over and over and it still keeping its zero? Anyone using one as a hammer maybe?

All Im saying is their durability has not yet been proven, they are still new.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMCj</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lizzardking308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Premier deserves mention as well... </div></div>

Does it really? I mean no offense to the PR guys, but just exactly what torture tests have the PR's been through? Any cars parked on top of them? anyone trowing it into the dirt over and over and it still keeping its zero? Anyone using one as a hammer maybe?

All Im saying is their durability has not yet been proven, they are still new.</div></div>

We beat the ever living snot of them, including having a class of people throw them, we froze it, we did all kinds of stuff, and its been fine.

There was a very long and detailed post about all the stuff we put them through, more than likely before you paid any attention.

I would put the Premier up against any currently on the market in terms of durability. We did our best to fuck them and they worked.

Must have missed that post. Got a link of any vids?

Was not my intention, just was not aware of any torture tests on the PR.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMCj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Was not my intention, just was not aware of any torture tests on the PR.</div></div>

LOL Wasn't blaming you homie. Just the "which is better for -fill in the blank-" question. They almost always turn into a pissing contest.

To the OP. The 5 mentioned scopes would work for you perfectly. Now the fun part is the research of finding which one you like most and which will fit your needs based on your opinions.

USO
Premier Heritage
Nightforce
*Certain* Leupolds
Schmidt & Bender
Zeiss/Hendsolt sp?

All of these are great. I'm also certain that there are plenty of people on the boards with cheaper scopes that have absolutely no problems with theirs.

I ordered a USO for the customer service, the customization, and the ruggedness. Others have ordered other scopes for the same reasons...except for customization. You're pretty much stuck with USO if custom is what you're going to go after.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMCj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Was not my intention, just was <span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">not aware</span></span> of any torture tests on the PR. </div></div>

Key word, not aware... Doesn't mean nobody's beat on em yet.

I still doubt they have been through the same type of abuse USO's have been through. When I see a video of one being used as a hammer and a car being parked on it, then I'll be convinced they are just as tough as USO's. Until then, IMO USO's are as though as they come.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMCj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I still doubt they have been through the same type of abuse USO's have been through. When I see a video of one being used as a hammer and a car being parked on it, then I'll be convinced they are just as tough as USO's. Until then, IMO USO's are as though as they come. </div></div>

Maybe because they have only been out for a short period of time. Give it time I am sure you will see someone brake enough to take their 2k+ scope and hammer some nails with it.

And I am pretty sure LL has seen wide variety of scopes come through RO and probably have shot and seen which ones go down and which ones don't.

Has anyone torture tested the Sightron SIII series at all?
Mine has been tough as hell but It has not seen the abuse my nightforce has. I have seen what a USO can go through but mine is a safe queen so never treated any of them like a hammer.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bacarrat</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMCj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I still doubt they have been through the same type of abuse USO's have been through. When I see a video of one being used as a hammer and a car being parked on it, then I'll be convinced they are just as tough as USO's. Until then, IMO USO's are as though as they come. </div></div>

<span style="font-weight: bold">Maybe because they have only been out for a short period of time. </span> Give it time I am sure you will see someone brake enough to take their 2k+ scope and hammer some nails with it.

And I am pretty sure LL has seen wide variety of scopes come through RO and probably have shot and seen which ones go down and which ones don't. </div></div>

That right there is my point! Given the amount of time these scopes have been out, no one can truly say that they have proven durability. They sure do look durable, but only time will tell if they really are. My Suckpold MK4 sure did seem durable for the first 8 months, then the reticle broke off.

I vote for the smallest scope with the shortest possible overhangs from rings to objective. I think a fixed 10x is ideal. USO ST-10x37 or S&B 10x42.

You americans have followed the europeans from 1" to 30mm tubes. There is another option that I never see on US weapons. That is scopes with the front ring mounted on the objective bell. I have hunted extensively with this setup and it's very sturdy. Especially if you accidentally "use" your scope as a "torqewrench". (pardon my english..) It's pure physics.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMCj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">USO!!! </div></div>

+several, and I just happen to have one for sale.

Bullet hole... Scope still worked.... 'nuff said...
nightforce_NXS_bullethole.jpg

Yep, it'd be hard to beat a Nightforce. I wish I'd ponied up a little more and went Nightforce instead of the Leupold Mark 4 I bought.

Hindsight is 20/20.
frown.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 7mmRM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bullet hole... Scope still worked.... 'nuff said...
nightforce_NXS_bullethole.jpg
</div></div>

That is awsome. I bet he had to knock some dust off the reticle.
wink.gif

another pic of that scope that i happened to save from somewhere. they taped the holes over and used it for a few days till they could get another.

dropcharts008.jpg

One could do that to most any decent scope and it could still run just fine. Just don't try changing power settings and don't expect to keep out dirt and moisture. It's akin to shooting a hole in the door of a car; the car still drives just fine.

I am not knocking Nightforce. They make great scopes for sure.
If I had one you can be sure I would use it.

I don't know of a single scope made that can withstand that same hit to a lens, or a reticle, or the adjustment mechanism, or the pivot point for the erector tube, or.............

It's almost as sure as the impending flames this post should draw.
laugh.gif

MK 4's r GTG. Never had a problem with one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMCj</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bacarrat</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMCj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I still doubt they have been through the same type of abuse USO's have been through. When I see a video of one being used as a hammer and a car being parked on it, then I'll be convinced they are just as tough as USO's. Until then, IMO USO's are as though as they come. </div></div>

<span style="font-weight: bold">Maybe because they have only been out for a short period of time. </span> Give it time I am sure you will see someone brake enough to take their 2k+ scope and hammer some nails with it.

And I am pretty sure LL has seen wide variety of scopes come through RO and probably have shot and seen which ones go down and which ones don't. </div></div>

That right there is my point! Given the amount of time these scopes have been out, no one can truly say that they have proven durability. They sure do look durable, but only time will tell if they really are. My Suckpold MK4 sure did seem durable for the first 8 months, then the reticle broke off. </div></div>

Right there, you're still off base...

The Premier has been out for a little more than a year, I am still using my <span style="font-weight: bold">Prototype</span> to great success, and after a ton of abuse... more than 98% of you will ever give a scope.

Besides, what does hammering fucking nails have to do with a scope... tactical or otherwise. the proof for me is the fact there isn't endless posts about them having to go back. They are being used, they are working successfully and they performing as billed.

Enough said if you ask me.

you're supposition has no ground to stand on, because despite your distractions, the Premier works, and works well.

I don't have the video of the torture we put them through, but I would be more than happy to do it again and again, to my personal Heritage, to disprove your point. But I won't hammer nails because I didn't get to build a house, I got it as a sight, so I will do anything you can think of in context of its purpose.

How about doing a search for "My Heritage broke" and see how many posts you find ?

I hear ya what ass-clown hammers a nail with a scope. Oh, maybe a scope thats already gone down? The only way I would do that is if the SOB wouldn't work for its intended purpose. I don't have a USO because I don't want to use their great customer service.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sleeper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I hear ya what ass-clown hammers a nail with a scope. Oh, maybe a scope thats already gone down? The only way I would do that is if the SOB wouldn't work for its intended purpose. I don't have a USO because I don't want to use their great customer service. </div></div>

This kind. The scope worked fine. It still works fine. Smashed a Bushnell to pieces with it too...

My PH although hasn't seen the abuse that the one LL has has tracked perfectly well the last time I shot at 1000 yards and back to 500 meters and to 200 and 100 yards and back up again. All the adjustments were dead on.

Also I have to agree with Rafael that the part of the scope that was shot has no glass or any important moving part that if shot out would put it completely OOC.

If somebody wants a bet I will shoot my Leupold on around the same spot and if it still works you owe me a NF or a PH of MY choice. If it fails then it's on me. Anybody?