• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best semi auto suppressor host for varmint shooting?

carbonbased

💥💥💥💥
Supporter
Minuteman
Jul 26, 2018
Minnesota
Looking for the best semi auto suppressor host. I assume this would be an AR-style gun, but feel free to suggest otherwise. I’m no semiauto guru.

By “best, I mean:
  • .223/556
  • the least gas in the face
  • Shooting small varmints out to 300yds, so it’s got to be accurate. 1 MOA or less.
  • Cleaning, I hate cleaning. That seems to favor piston.
  • Doesn’t need to be the “end of the world” sort of gun, but it will be my only semi auto centerfire
  • I like the 16” barrel length for handiness
  • Also, I don’t have a flow-through can
This has led me to:
  • JP (SCI-20 or JP-15 Precision) but they are DI and dirtier, unsure of gas to face
  • PWS variant…like Mk1 Mod 1-m, but I own a craptastic BRN-180, and they also make that, so unsure. BRN is getting returned
  • maybe a Sig Spear LT, but perhaps not accurate enough for tiny varmints
  • LMT MARS piston, but I’ve read it has only two gas settings and doesn’t have the greatest recoil impulse on the suppressed setting
  • HK MR556 has similar gas issues as LMT
  • Others?
Alternatively I could mod my RRA Varmint 20” with an adjustable gas blocK, JP silent captured spring, and even an adjustable bolt carrier. But I tend to hate futzing and would rather buy something already done.

What are your recommendations and thoughts?

Last edited:
Assuming you want to stick to a semi auto platform, I would suggest a PWS in the flavor of your choice.
Almost any quality AR can be tuned to run with a can, but imo you can’t beat a good piston system.

Assuming you want to stick to a semi auto platform, I would suggest a PWS in the flavor of your choice.
Almost any quality AR can be tuned to run with a can, but imo you can’t beat a good piston system.
I called PWS and they have a 1 MOA guarantee with match ammo, so that’s reassuring. But man, my BRN-180 is a piece a poo. Initially I thought it was good, but nope. Maybe it’s Brownells’ fault and not PWS’.

Small varmints at 450 are going to require better than 1moa.
At 250… no problem. But if you are talking gophers and the like… you will miss more than you hit at 450 even with a spendy gas gun.

Sirhr
Yeah, I agree, I was being optimistic. More realistically, out to 300 is the target for this semi.

Currently, I have a Rem 700 .204 for 300+yds, and use a 17 Hornet from 0-300. Recently got a 6 br for longer shots this summer. They’re all sub-MOA.

I just thought it would be fun to try a semi for these <300 yd close ones.

So let’s dial back expectations. Able to hit pdogs out to 300yds. I’ll change the specs above.

Last edited:
Yeah, I agree, I was being optimistic. More realistically, out to 300 is the target for this semi.

Currently, I have a Rem 700 .204 for 300+yds, and use a 17 Hornet from 0-300. Recently got a 6 br for longer shots this summer. They’re all sub-MOA.

I just thought it would be fun to try a semi for these <300 yd close ones.

So let’s dial back expectations. Able to hit pdogs out to 300yds. I’ll change the specs above.
Do tell more about that 17 Hornet!!!

Cheers!

Sirhr

Do tell more about that 17 Hornet!!!

Cheers!

Sirhr
I love everything about the 17 Hornet except, because it’s a rimmed cartridge AND the bullet is tiny, loading mags is a pain and cycling the bolt isn’t the greatest.

The 22 Hornet, with the same case but fatter bullet, is way easier to load/cycle. And clean! Little bores are a bit of a pain.

But the 17 🐝 is super, super fun. Just a little more recoil than a 17 HMR. My gun is a CZ 527. Super accurate out to 300-ish but the wind is hard on the little thing.

I just picked up the same gun in 221 Fireball. If that doesn’t work out I’ll have it switched to 17 Fireball, which is even 😎 than the Hornet with its normal case and 4000fps speed.

Curse CZ for killing off the 527!

I can't detect a significant difference with the can on or off (oss 7.62 to). Ejection pattern is exactly the same. No need to tune the gun for can on or off. Cleaner brass / bolt / etc. No perceivable blowback.

Only downside is it's slightly louder at the muzzle, so if you frequently shoot at yourself with your own rifle, it might not be a good choice. Sounds great for the trigger puller.

I have like a dozen cans but if I was starting over I would only buy tbac for bolts and oss (huxwrks or wtf ever they're called) for semis.

My first suppressors were OSS and I've run them on several semi auto's. AR10 and AR15 all function the same. 338LM, 308, 6.5CM, 300BLk (sub and super), and 223 run fine. All are DI(except 338) and all brass ejects to the same spot, I don't have to tune them for on or off, and almost no gas in the face. I have to admit I've noticed some slight gas blowback on some very humid muggy days but otherwise normally it's not an issue and the rifles all run clean.

Last edited:
Reactions: carbonbased
I have a RRA 20" upper that I have done futzing and added adjustable gas block, JP SCS, and a Geissele ACH. I consistently can shoot 3/4MOA and the recoil impulse is very smooth to watch my shots. I would 100% do this again over a 16" AR. The best part of shooting varmints is watching them get hit, so "handiness" doesn't rank as high as recoil control.

Reactions: carbonbased
I have a RRA 20" upper that I have done futzing and added adjustable gas block, JP SCS, and a Geissele ACH. I consistently can shoot 3/4MOA and the recoil impulse is very smooth to watch my shots. I would 100% do this again over a 16" AR. The best part of shooting varmints is watching them get hit, so "handiness" doesn't rank as high as recoil control.
Thanks for this. Here’s some questions:
  • Is the bolt carrier stock RRA?
  • how much gas in the face?
  • Which adj gas block?
  • And just curious, what barrel?

Last edited:
Well, I’ve gone with a PWS mk1 mod 1m upper (1 MOA guarantee with match ammo, wanted a forward assist). Then picked up their mk1 mod 2m ambi lower.

Determined I value less gas in the face, less cleaning, less futzing, shorter OAL, and lighter over a super heavy & long but higher fps 0.75” MOA (20” RRA Varmint has a 0.75” MOA guarantee btw).

I wish the mod 1m upper had the 2m’s nicer handguard with its piclok, but oh well. Funny thing is even though the 1m/2m/Pro internals are the same, they made it so the 2m handguard only works on the 2m upper? Ah, marketing price structures…

I bought the upper/lower separately as Brownells has a good price on the upper plus I found a $120 off coupon (jan120, $120 off $900+). FYI if you want to skip the hassle and just buy what I did but as a completed rifle, PWS calls it their “compound” rifle. It’s quite a bit more $ than buying upper and lower separately.

With PWS’ 1 MOA guarantee with match ammo the gun will be marginal at 300yds at something 4-5”wide. Maybe I luck out and get a 0.75” barrel (ha! I don’t bet on it) but whatever.

If I’m just not hitting the pdogs, I could fall back upon my 20” RRA Varmint upper and fit it with an adjustable gas block, buffers, etc etc. It’s just that it’s such a darn pig so I don’t want to use it for anything other than close-range pdogs that are close to the truck. At least with the PWS I’ll have a reliable lighter AR.

The funny thing with pdogs is they are stretchy like a cat. At the same angle, the same pdog can present vastly different sizes depending on its stance (like if it’s standing tall, hunched, or elongated sideways). Something a deer does not do.

Maybe the pdogs sitting roundish/fat/squat are the ticket for the PWS. We’ll see how it’ll do. Thanks everyone!

Last edited:
Also, to help the next guy, here is the breakdown between different PWS rifles. They do NOT go out of their way to educate their potential customers. Found it here.

PWS Model Differences: PRO - MOD1 - MOD2 - MK2

PWS AVAILABLE CALIBERS
  • PRO: 223 Wylde
  • MK1 MOD1: 223 Wylde, 300BLK & 762X39
  • MK1 MOD2: 223 Wylde, 300BLK & 762X39
  • MK2: 308 Match (308 Win/762NATO) & 6.5 Creedmoor
PWS MK1 MOD1/PRO LOWERS
  • Standard receiver
  • 5.5-6.5lb enhanced milspec trigger
  • PWS enhanced buffer tube
  • PWS ratchet-lock castle nut
  • PWS endplate w/single QD point