• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best Shooting Steel Rifle?

WinterTyrant

Private
Minuteman
Sep 6, 2009
Santa Fe, NM
Hey guys,

As some of you know, I was in the market for rifle to get into precision shooting and long range shooting. The plan was to pick up a Rem 700 5R and shoot the hell out of it. Well...things came up and my rifle fund diminished. I was originally going to get not only a 308 but also an AR for plinking/iron sight stuff, but now I only have enough for one or the other. I have been trying to decide for the last 2 weeks on what to get, trying to convince myself why not to get one or the other. My fiancee tells me to get a 308 and my friends tell me to get an AR.

I will mostly be shooting steel with it and also paper to try my hand at tight groups every once and a while. I also want something that contains a round a bit more stable whilst in flight and a round that is not as affected by wind. Both those wants clearly point to the 308 but...(always a but) I would like to do some mid to semi long shooting, say 100-300 yards. I also have Whittington Center up in Raton, NM right at my back door, probably about 2-3 hrs. away.

What would you guys suggest? I will be using this as well for varmint control on my dads property(not the hunting type, more like pest control). I also would like to be able to throw a suppressor on the weapon when I can save money for it.

I know that not one rifle will work for everything and that a bolt action shines where an AR doesn't and vice versa. I do plan on getting both eventually but that's after other expenses come first such as a starter reloading set.So what do you think? Should I listen to the purist in me and go with a traditional bolt action rifle...or the industrialist in me by going with a gas gun?

Sorry for the long post again, if this has been answered before please send me a link and feel free to remove this. I searched under, shooting steel, plinking, plinker, gas vs. bolt etc.

Thanks,
Floyd

Re: Best Shooting Steel Rifle?

Semi long shooting is 100-300 yds right? Get the 308 and load up some 175s or 180s and blast away. 300 WM doesnt make sense for that short of a distance, go with a bolt rifle as well to hone the skill

Get the AR in 6.8 Rem spc or 6.5 grendal. Then you have something right in between the two.
wink.gif

Get an 18" SPR AR. You can shoot out to 650 yards+ with it, and you still have your AR. Better yet, get a 16" Reece.

Or you can get a DPMS 308 AR...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jp_colt</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> 6.5 grendal ammo hard to get. 308 bolt and reload </div></div>

Just for plinking.... Wolf gold match is decent stuff.
Alexander Arms make some badass BTHP rounds as well.

Ar with 2 uppers? What the budget?

You could get an RRA lower with match trigger and put a cheap M4 upper on it and then buy a nice used SPR upper, maybe even a LaRue SSS 20".

Still not quite a bolt rifle, but will serve both purposes.

Thanks for all the help guys, as far as budget -km looking at no more than 1300, as for an AR, I was thinking Daniels Defense DDXV and for the bolt action...possibly the 5R or the Rem 700 package from Sniper Central. I would wanna upgrade optics eventually but I doubt I'd even be able to outshoot the optics that come with Sniper Centrals package.

I've seen many people speak wonders about their stock Savages, my Savage completely surprised me shooting sub 1/2 MOA past 400y.

The money saved helps to offset the cost of some glass.

I'd get something in 308 or (better IMO) a 30-06 if you're not reloading. Match ammo is available and plentiful in both loadings.

A solid Model 10 or Model 110 Savage would suit you well and there's lots of parts and gunsmiths that deal with them when you want to upgrade.

Although there are some good sugestions above, I think they are starting to get a little to exotic for your needs.

If you want a rifle that will do everything you stated in your first post, with an eye towards getting more into long range shooting, a good 308 bolt rifle fits the bill.

When I read your planned uses, the answer was always the same, bolt gun, bolt gun, bolt gun. AR's are fun, but if your primary intent is precision, you really should start with a bolt gun and 308.

You don't need a magnum caliber or one that has limited ammo availability. I would not recomend an AR yet, as the temptation to blast away instead of focusing on each shot is hard to overcome.

Trust me, your friends probably think its awesome to dump a mag at a target 100 yards away (hitting it with about 1 in every 4 rounds), thats why they want you to get the AR. Most of my shooting buddies are the same way. When they see you lay down and disentegrate a pumpkin (it is Fall after all) at 300 yards with one calculated, controled shot, they will think you are the shit.

Shooting, particularly precision shooting, is not about the shooting, it is about the hitting. In other words, the act of firing a weapon is fun, but it is nothing compared to hitting your intended target.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gugubica</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Although there are some good sugestions above, I think they are starting to get a little to exotic for your needs.

If you want a rifle that will do everything you stated in your first post, with an eye towards getting more into long range shooting, a good 308 bolt rifle fits the bill.

When I read your planned uses, the answer was always the same, bolt gun, bolt gun, bolt gun. AR's are fun, but if your primary intent is precision, you really should start with a bolt gun and 308.

You don't need a magnum caliber or one that has limited ammo availability. I would not recomend an AR yet, as the temptation to blast away instead of focusing on each shot is hard to overcome.

Trust me, your friends probably think its awesome to dump a mag at a target 100 yards away (hitting it with about 1 in every 4 rounds), thats why they want you to get the AR. Most of my shooting buddies are the same way. When they see you lay down and disentegrate a pumpkin (it is Fall after all) at 300 yards with one calculated, controled shot, they will think you are the shit.

Shooting, particularly precision shooting, is not about the shooting, it is about the hitting. In other words, the act of firing a weapon is fun, but it is nothing compared to hitting your intended target. </div></div>

Thats exactly what I was looking for. Everyone else did make good suggestions but you made realize that the act of hitting is much more fun. I got my shotgun back and sent many rounds through it, while kind of fun to just shoot it, its really fun when I tag something at 50 yards with a slug and it just shatters. OT (I know) I think I would have eventually got frustrated with the BC of the .223 round and would long for something bigger. Thanks man. And to everyone else, the AR, the 6.5, the 30-06, 338, and 50 as well as the rimfires(can't forget them) are all in line. Only money can prevent me from owning a small Armory!
mad.gif