• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best Shotgun for $$, 18-20", Parkerized-20or 12?

Two Shoes

Minuteman
Jun 8, 2001
Dallas,Tx
870 Rem
500 Mossburg
590 Mossburg
???
Any advice appreciated.

<span style="font-weight: bold">PM's Please.....</span>

Re: Best Shotgun for $$, 18-20", Parkerized-20or 12?

TS, you didn't say what you would use it for so, here is what I've done.
My "bump in the night" SG is and old 870 12 GA top folding stock 870 Police with a light.
My dove/quail SG is an 870 20 GA 20" with 4 tubes. Mine are all the Wingmaster version as they are better made than the less expensive 870s. I've bought mine all used in pawn shops, they are a best buy and always work. Regards

Depends on what your money is capable of doing
grin.gif
barring that:

Benelli Super 90
Remington TAC 1187
Mossie 590

The Mossie 590 Military is a darn good Shotgun fully kitted out from teh factory. It's price is very low compared to other guns. Best Buy for the money

51668.jpg

Stepping up, Remington Tactical by Impact guns...$700+
rem_41868.jpg

BIG Stretch of the money($500+), but needs $200 SBR permit

Benelli Nova Tactical Entry(14")

benelli_nova_SBS.jpg

or at the high dollar $1600 price range is the latest Cat's Ass of shotguns, the Benelli XM1014, or the USMC Shotgun of choice

silo_502_m4_12_syn_pistol_defense.jpg

I love my Super 90 Mk1. It kicks butt. GOing to get a Kick's Comp Choke for it so Panty 6 can handle it.
So there ya have it TS, SHotguns for every budget from beans and weenies to steak and taters

I own a lot of shotguns and have been a long time fan.

Here's my thoughts on the different shotguns:

A pump gun is a good multi-purpose tool. You can use it for many different things. Feed any number of rounds through it and it won't give you much trouble. As far as the 870 vs 500 series war, I lean on the 500 series a lot more than my 870. I just prefer it. Its safety is ambidextrous, and slide release doesn't require me to move my hand to engage it. People complain it feels sloppy, but I Think it adds to its reliability. It still patterns well.

If you get a 500 you can use it for everything with just a change of barrels. Slug barrel, Long bird barrel, a short 18in home defense barrel. I even have a muzzle loader barrel for mine. It doesn't have a 6+ round tube option, but if you want that there is the 590. Same gun with more rounds.

My new 590 did come with a bayonet and lug so that it can be attached.

The one thing the 870 does have over the 500 is the ability to add mag extensions. I do appreciate this greatly and have added a +3 round tube on mine. Now it looks cooler but is a bit long to be swinging around indoors without a pistol grip to short stock it.

Like I mentioned before though, I feel that pumps are more a multi-purpose gun than a offensive weapon. A short pump makes a wicked secondary weapon. Breaching, less-than-lethal, and other specialty rounds have made the pump a hard to beat. (dragons breath)

Semi-auto guns are more offensive oriented I think. They don't offer the flexibility that a pump gun has but they do have fire power on demand. I own a 930 spx and have fired just about all the major brands under the sun. 930 is a great gun, lots of fun, I just wish it had a pistol grip stock available for it. I feel that the semis benefit a lot more from one than a pump. It adds to the offensive side of things.

The 1100 is a great gun with a long history and lots of options. Can't really go wrong with it. Especially the one in the link mentioned above.

The Benelli's are amazing guns. They can take a beating and keep moving. There not as sensitive to ammo changes as some other semi shotties are. The one I would say is most note worthy is the Super Black Eagle. You can put any conventional shell through it and just fire away. 2 3/4" - 3 1/2" magnums. You can even miss match loads in the tube without issue. Just load it and shoot. It feels great, has low recoil, and is well balanced. It is more of a sporting gun, but since you didn't mention your purpose I threw it in here because its on my short list to buy.

As for 18-20in, 2in is not really going to make a huge difference in anything. In fact I would just go with the 18in and save myself the hassle of 2in.

And go with a 12ga. tons more ammo options and its the same price for more shot in the air. You can't buy 00 buck for 20ga.

+1^^

Viav13 pretty much hit the nail on the head.

To add to that, I have felt that as of late folks are making the shotgun platform entirely too complicated.

1) <span style="text-decoration: underline">Don't buy more chamber than what you need</span>. So many buy the 3.5" chamber so "they have that option", but never use it. While i've always likened it to using a .308 in a 30-06, it certainly won't improve patterns/accuracy, and you're just increasing your pump stroke....and you paid more to do so. And while 2 3/4" only is no longer seen, it's enough to get most jobs done.

2) Avoid the urge to be "tacticool". While I love my Beneilli M1 pistol grip, it certainly does not have the versitility of my plain jane 870P. I love the pistol grip for defense, but my 2 workhorse shotguns have a standard stock. Keep it simple. Adding lights, side saddles, mag extensions, pistol grips should be done as needed. While my Benelli M4 is a bad mofo, it rarely sees any use because it's heavy, expensive, unnecessary. It's the sledgehammer when all you need is a 16oz claw.

3) 12ga!!! More options, more loads. While some insist on the 20ga for "less recoil", but I have to admit that coupled with a lighter shotgun, I have yet to notice any difference in felt recoil. However, you will notice the decrease in range, pattern and power.

4) Mossberg/Remy. Ford/Chevy, Coke/Pepsi, Case/Deere. No wrong answer handle them both. Decide for yourself. However, if you can afford the Benelli...buy it

My Benelli keeps going bang time after time. Get a short barrel for it and it would be deadly. Soft on recoil and you will never "forget" to shuck it or short shuck. Runs on everything from soft loads to full power. 870 owns a piece of my heart, but the Benelli has some of my hide!
Chad

Edit to add: If you have ever been in the heat of the moment and give the old pull and push with out a bang, you will know more so what I am talking about. I remember times in the duck blind when I've aimed and pushed but forgot about the bang. Doesn't happen with the auto. Less the safety of course.