• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best Shotgun for Home Defense ??

Bushmaster7

Private
Minuteman
Nov 10, 2002
CONUS
For those of you that have shotguns, what is the best model for home self defense in your opinion ? Looking to get one and need some good input. thanks, Dale.

Re: Best Shotgun for Home Defense ??

I like the Rem. 870's in 12ga there pump guns. I have two setup for home defense. Very relieable shotgun. The 870's have all kind of aftermarket stuff so you can build it the way you like. I have a Marine Magnum and one of the new ones it has the folder stock and the breaching chock tube. The new one can also double as a turkey gun with the right chock tube, its all matte black. The only things I added to both 870's was a ATI heat shield.

In the past I had a Win. 1300 turkey model with a pistol grip was a nice gun but not as well made as the 870's IMO.

Alot of people go with the youth models in 20ga for home defense a little less recoil in the 20ga.

How what a difficult choice, I have a couple and all would work in a home seld defense. Something short for corners and things. I have a couple of 18 inch pumps, I have a side by side coach gun, but I have a 18 inch over and Under browning Super pose

I have a 870 18in. It is not a police magnum or anything just synthetic stock. But it was only $300 new so I could not pass that up. I really like it for maneuverability.

18" 870 Wingmaster Police (old school) with some "upgrades" is my work shotgun.

18.5" 1100 with Remington +2 extension is my home shotgun.

AK-47 or M4 is my preferred home defense weapon.

Good suggestions guys, keep'em coming. The 870 sounds good. Any tactical type suggestions as well ?? regards, Dale.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">18" 870 Wingmaster Police (old school) with some "upgrades" is my work shotgun.

18.5" 1100 with Remington +2 extension is my home shotgun.

AK-47 or M4 is my preferred home defense weapon.</div></div>

Yeah I have the shot gun by the bed and the AK-47 and nine magazines in close proximity.LOL I am not paranoid.

For home defense?...CHEAP! Get a Mossberg with a short barrel and a pistol grip. Around $200.00.
I have an old Ithaca model 37 Military/Police that came out of an old Squad Car. (They used to mount them vertically on the dash... remember those days). Has no bead... just a hole where it was and rust in the front 12" of the barrel from condensation sitting in a Police car for years. I paid $100 for it at a Police Auction. It sits under the bed and collects dust. But it's "Cocked-and-locked" and if someone comes in my house the last thing they'll hear is the safety clicking "off"!!!

Just cant go wrong with the Mossberg 590...

MS50665.jpg

wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TCshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just cant go wrong with the Mossberg 590...

MS50665.jpg

wink.gif
</div></div>

Amen

Mossy 500 20" Defender. Cheap, reliable, goes bang every time. Add a light and you are GTG.

Am I the only one that likes the 20 gauge for home defense? Find a youth model, they are lighter, can be shot from the hip if need be, short stock for tight quarters in the house, much faster follow up shots do to 20 vs 12 gauge if they are needed and a 20 gauge at in house ranges will do plenty of damage.

Benelli Nova or Supernova with a short barrel and a handful of 3.5in shells...

<span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">Yeah I have the shot gun by the bed and the AK-47 and nine magazines in close proximity.LOL I am not paranoid.</span></span>

Your only paranoid until your right......

870 Marine Magnum with 4 Buck

Not enough firepower in these tube fed shotties.

What you want is a Saiga 12 with a 20 round drum magazine.

20 rounds of 00 buck should solve any home invasion situation that might arise.

Personally, I'd steer clear of PG shotguns for home defense. Even up close it is <span style="text-decoration: underline">extremely</span> easy to miss. Like jasonk mentioned, a youth length stock in combination w/an 18" tube can be a plus in tight quarters. 12 or 20 is really up to you. If the 12ga. is too much recoil go with the 20. Whatever you choose, go out and shoot it... ALOT. If you're not familiar with the controls and operation of the weapon and God forbid actually need it, the results could be disastrous. It's also a good idea to check how it patterns at some common distances. I patterned mine at several distances I might need it in my home. Bedside to bedroom door, length of hall, width of den, etc. Biggest spread was about 2", which really put the possibility of missing into perspective for me.

...Not good for much, but the little ones are fun
wink.gif

IMG_0603.jpg

My HD choice is a Nova Tactical w/2 3/4" 00. It's a touch on the light side but the previous owner installed a merc. tube which balances nicely. The action is smooth and it always works. I probably should add a light of some kind w/an instant on option as opposed to constant. The added weight of the light might interfere with the M1's inertia system so I decided to let it stick to 3Gun duties. Other than holding a few more rounds and having a matte finish the basic idea hasn't changed since the old Mod. 12 was made.
IMG_0429.jpg

I finished the 870 up last year and am considering it for house duty instead of the NOVA. I'm not as familiar with it yet and the action isn't as smooth but I think once it's broken in it should do nicely. There's something about the feel of the wood stock that I like.
IMG_0657.jpg

rem 870s or mossberg 500's or 590's.
i personally have the view of saving all the money from the 1000 dollar shotguns, and getting 2 or so 870s. you can get them for 150-225 used easy. if they arent the short barreled models and you get a good deal on it and dont want to buy a shorter barrel, just cut it down. obviously keep it LEGAL.

Great feedback everyone. I appreciate it very much in terms of helping me make an informed purchase decision since I shoot mainly rifle and pistol, not shotgun. As soon as I get back from Ireland (just finishing up a contract) I'll go out looking for one. Your input will help greatly in deciding what to buy. regards, Dale.

the 590 can't be beat in my opinion. Load the tube with 00 buck. then slugs in the speed feed in case you got to stretch things out.

Actually studies contucted by the FBI and US Army in the early 90s found that a small fast round such as the 5.56 NATO/223 was less likely to over penetrate than most handgun rounds, those studies and the fact that a 223 can better penetrate soft body armour resulted in several agencies adopting M-4 style rifles on their entry teams and turn in some shotguns and MP5s.

just a thought

I have seen penetration tests on sheetrock, and 55-grain 5.56 rounds penetrated fewer layers of sheetrock than handgun ammunition and shotgun pellets.

yeah lindy,

I know about that test because I fired some of those shots too, I just didn't find out why for a couple of years, next thing we knew all our MP5s except the SDs were gone and we had brand new M-4s on the SRT

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">side by side exposed hammer coach gun 18 1/2 barrels. Can't get 2 shots off faster no matter what you got.</div></div>

Really? Want to bet some money on that? I have a nice timer and plenty of range to try it. I will bet that a properly shooting auto will HIT just as fast as a double and still have round in reserve.
wink.gif

This is unless you are talking about firing BOTH barrels at the same time, which is just ridiculous.

yup pull both triggers at one time. Done that hits pretty hard even with trap loads. had a nice little bruise that i don't usually get until after 200 to 300 rounds of trap from my over under. Definitely a flinch inducer.

the question was for shotgun for home defense. I don't use a shotgun for home defense depending on what I hear and where i here it, I go with my .45 or my HK91.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lindy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The best shotgun for home defense is an AR15.
</div></div>

Yeah this goes without saying, my AR full of tap is my go to for bump in the night.

The only reason I still have the shotgun is on the rare occasion I want to go knock down some bowling pins or freeze my ass off and attempt to collect some waterfowl.

AR15 is superior in every aspect, other than the courtroom afterwards.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">the question was for shotgun for home defense. I don't use a shotgun for home defense depending on what I hear and where i here it, I go with my .45 or my HK91. </div></div>

LOL you grab a .308 and you're saying the .223 overpenetrates?

smile.gif

Better have a can on that thing or you'll be Hellen Keller after a few rounds fly in doors.

I have a very nice AR-15 as well; but still want to round things out with a decent shotgun. With that and my HK 45 USP Expert things should be covered. regards, Dale.

mossberg 500, 590, 930 spx. i have them all and none have failed.
use #6 - #8 shot for intrudes inside of your res, it will not go thru the walls, and have oo buck and slugs in a carrier.
a gun light is a big plus for home defense, and a sling.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ertsniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">use #6 - #8 shot for intrudes inside of your res,</div></div>

It also will not penetrate your target deep enough to stop aggressive action. You will be relying on pain and shock and praying that the dirtbag's lawyer doesn't argue that you intended to maim his client.

Load up with 00 buck and know what your fields of fire are. HIT YOUR TARGET and you won't have to worry about it going through walls. After all the pattern from an 18" cylinder bore is only going to be a couple inches at indoor range.

I do agree that the AR is a superior HD weapon in just about all categories. My wife refuses to shoot my 12ga, she would have no problem with fast followup shots with the AR.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 03bulletstopper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">the 590 can't be beat in my opinion. Load the tube with 00 buck. then slugs in the speed feed in case you got to stretch things out. </div></div>

+1

I think if the mossberg pump has been good enough for troops so use, it is good enough to defend my home. in a home invasion situation, if it comes to shooting, I believe that a short barrelled mossberg with a tactical stock or pistolgrip spreads out the area that you can hurt an intruder over. I would like to think I could knock out 2-3 intruders with tripple tacks from my glock 45; however, I have spent a lot of time shooting up stuff at dumps and derrlich houses with different loads and from different guns. I think a tube loaded with alternating buck and heavy field loads is a pretty good combination--shotguns are very good at opening doors, moving stuff from in front of a suspect and broadening out the area where you can hurt and disable the intruder. Fast moves with a 223 are very effective, but I think it would be harder to justify. You have to think about justification in such cases--if you are faced with a bad situation, are you going to look behind the suspect to see if there is a window that your 223 will go though and kill a neighbor? Also, although I love semi autos, I really like the pump as it seems about as reliable as you can get--I have never had anything bind up in the mossberg and have shot literally thousands of rounds through it of various types of ammo. I certainly could be tempted to get into 223 or 308 in the right situation with home invaders, but the main tool for me is a pump 12 with a proven record. For what a lot of semi autos cost, you can have several pumps around your house. My wife has trouble figuing out a revolver; however, she does seem to be able to understand a 12 guage--pump is too complex, but she likes the NEF single shot 12 with a short barrell with stuff on a weaver rail on top--The ugliest rig in the whole world! But it works.

I like Mas. Ayoob and find his writings very instructive. MD

Oh... Here's something I like about my Ithaca 37 M&P. If you keep the trigger pulled and just work the pump back and forth it will fire every time the forearm comes forward. I'm not sure anymore but there used to be only 2 modern pump shotguns that would do that... The Ithaca Model 37 and the Winchester Model 12. The Ithaca's also nice for lefties since it ejects out the botttom.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oneshot onekill</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Oh... Here's something I like about my Ithaca 37 M&P. If you keep the trigger pulled and just work the pump back and forth it will fire every time the forearm comes forward. I'm not sure anymore but there used to be only 2 modern pump shotguns that would do that... The Ithaca Model 37 and the Winchester Model 12. The Ithaca's also nice for lefties since it ejects out the botttom. </div></div>

very stupid practice.

After owning different shotguns through out the years.
I would have to vote Benelli tactical.They just are so reliable.I've seen pumps not eject and jam ,as well as other automatics jam.Benelli's keep humming along without a hickup.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dlc356</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Personally, I'd steer clear of PG shotguns for home defense. Even up close it is <span style="text-decoration: underline">extremely</span> easy to miss.</div></div>

ive got an 870 HD with a speedfeed pistol grip stock on it. it points easier for me with the pistol grip. if youve shot with it before, youll know how to aim it. if you go from a traditional stock to the PG, odds are you wont hit where you think.

DSC02081.jpg

Check out the Mossberg 930SPX....not bad on price for an auto...high capacity...as far as shotguns go I guess....