• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best single stage reloading kit

Jkesrnicla

Private
Minuteman
Dec 10, 2019
I’m looking at a rcbs rock chucker supreme or a lee kit, I have no prior reloading experience but am generally a quick learner! I want a kit that will last forever and is relatively simple and inexpensive! Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks!!

Forster Co-ax.

It's much cheaper through normal retailers when in stock. Order one from Brownells and wait.

Midway: Out of stock, No backorder.
I have a cast iron Lee 4 hole progressive that I use as a single stage with extra inserts.
I like it, it was cheap, but I don't load really big calibers. It probably would NOT handle it.
I suggest staying away from Lee if you have the money though.
Remember, a multi-stage doesn't have to auto advance.
Don't pass up a deal if you find it.

Reactions: Jkesrnicla
I dont have a ton of experience with different presses, but i bought a Hornady lock and load setup that i literally have no complaints about or anything lacking i wish it had. It aint cheap, but quality seldomly is. My pistol dies where setup once two years ago and now you just lock them in and go. Anyway just my 2cents.
Hornady Lock n Load

P1150367.jpg

Ouch !
750,00 €
In the case of delivering to a non-EU country, there can be charged extra tolls, taxes and fees.
Packagincosts will be charged separately.

The Lee kit is awesome though I run the Hornady Lock and Load single stage and will be buying the new Lyman turret press in a few months. If you get the Hornady you can get 500 projectiles for 15 bucks shipping through their get loaded promotion

Ouch !
750,00 €
In the case of delivering to a non-EU country, there can be charged extra tolls, taxes and fees.
Packagincosts will be charged separately.

I think price incudes 19% VAT not charged for export but its expensive press no doubt , but like in every field chasing final % costs exponentialy more. Do you need this kind of press, not likely. But at the same time folks buy 300$ die sets and run them on 100$ presses so cost is relative.
Friend owns one for his 50BMG and for those these things make more sense cost of components and dies for match quality .50BMG makes cost of the press non issue.

Italians also make couple of a bit cheaper high end presses

Last edited:
RCBS Rockchucker Supreme kit and you're all set. But yes, you'll upgrade all the little parts.

Another vote for Forster coax, it will produce ammo with very little to no runout. IMO best single stage on the market.

Reactions: timberpatch
I have a Lee challenger with 15000-20000 strokes on it. It is cast aluminum with steel pins through it and it’s startimg to get some slop in it. The rockchucker or the coax would be my suggestion.

I like RCBS , My rockchucker is a quality tool in my opinion. I upgraded from cheaper RCBS press that I bought in kit in 1978. Really didn’t need to upgrade, I just wanted to, the original less expensive press was still working fine.

BTW, I’m still using the accessories that came in that kit that was purchased so long ago. Even the the powder scale!

The only problem with the kits is that after 3 mo of reloading, you've already upgraded everything but the loading block and press.
^ This. Kits are built for a price point to get people started. They don't contain the best equipment and a lot of it will end up in the trash sooner rather than later. I suggest building your own 'kit'.

I built my own kit from local and shipped stuff over the past few days:

Forster Coax
Redding type S dies
Chargemaster 1500
Forster case trimmer
Hornady OAL gauge with the ogive comparator set.
Buying a wet tumbler from my buddy
Harvey Deprimer
LE wilson headspace gauge
MKMachining powder funnel
Other misc stuff

I think I’ve spent 1100 or so but I will not have to upgrade hardly anything for years to come. I originally was in the same boat as you, little to experience reloading and wanting a kit to do it all (mainly looking at the Redding big boss ii kit). I ended up buying everything separate and building my own that way I’m not buying twice in a sense and upgrading things in a couple months. Up front it’s a bit pricey but in the long run it’ll probably save some money as I plan on reloading for several different caliber.